We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

budget and swimming with dolphins

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rugby, United...
budget and swimming with dolphins

hi all ive got a few things to ask before our trip down under to see my family in feb 2013!

- how much money would u take? we are stopping with my mum for free and dont need to hire a car so just need money for a few trips maybe a few meals out and some shopping!!!

-is there anywhere we could swim with dolphins? this would be my 8 year olds dream (mine too)!!

-anyone know if u can smoke a e-cig on the plane? thank you for your help x

Perth, Australia
reviews: 27
1. Re: budget and swimming with dolphins

Ring the airline about the e-cig ... I'm too old to even know what it is...!

As for money, it depends on what you want to do ... you can get day trips and family passes for the trains and buses .. have a look at the Perth Transport website .. although your mum could find this out before you get here.

If you want to go to Rottnest for the day, you can leave from Hillarys Boat Harbor .. hire bikes for the day to ride around the island, or get the bus..

There is a visitor centre on the island just as you get off the boat.

There is also a visitor centre on William Street in the city, on the corner of the Hay Street Mall .. where you can get heaps of information on what to see and do.

There some cheap places to eat .. depending on what suburb you are living. Some hotels have cheap meals during the week. Shopping Centres have food courts ... There are also places along the beaches, at Caversham Wildlife Park and in Kings Park where there are barbecues you can have for lunch .. and of course, we have the best sunsets.

I am sure your mum will be taking you to some places .. like Caversham Widlife Park .. the chocolate factory ... and I do suggest a river trip from Barrack Street Jetty to Fremanlte... it's nice to see some of the huge homes built on the river .. which you cannot see from the roads. Then you can get the train back to the city.

Have a look at these websites...

http://www.captaincookcruises.com.au/

http://www.cavershamwildlife.com.au/

http://www.rottnestisland.com/

http://www.sorrentoquay.com.au/

This website below gives you information on the free CAT buses available for use around the CBD area .. and a map.

…wa.gov.au/timetablePDFs/…2020120701.pdf

As for the Dolphins, there is a dolphin cruise on the estuary in Mandurah near Simmo's Ice Cream (yummy) ... or there is the Dolphin Centre in Bunbury.

The only other one I know of is at Monkey Mia .. but it's a long way to go to see Dolphins .. it will be quite hot .. and I believe they are not guaranteed to be there every day ...

Hope you have a great holiday here.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 52
2. Re: budget and swimming with dolphins

And you can see dolphins but not swim with them- Fisheries and Wildlife are hot on them not being interfered with. I have read too, that young male dolphins can get a little...........frisky..........with lady swimmers, not a good experience from all accounts.

Perth, Australia
reviews: 44
3. Re: budget and swimming with dolphins

Unless something has happened that I am unaware of, Wild Encounters still runs tours to swim with dolphins @ Rockingham but not cheap, at least $405 for the two of you...

dolphins.com.au/swim-with-wild-dolphins.html

Check out the Air Travel forum and type in "e cig"for many questions and answers re use.

Perth, Australia
reviews: 19
4. Re: budget and swimming with dolphins

We took our staff swimming with dolphins a few years ago for our xmas party with wild encounters. It was fantastic, though i have a feeling your daughter may be too young. If she is, but would still like to see dolphins or some other wildlife, the tour at penguin island is great - mostly see dolphins from the boat and also see penguins and seals.

Perth, Australia
reviews: 9
5. Re: budget and swimming with dolphins

How long are you staying and where is your mum's house?

Dining out is not cheap in Perth. Depends what you like eating. A typical fast food meal is $6-10, a meal at a decent restaurant $10-25. Transport isn't too expensive, if you're staying longer than 2 weeks I'd recommend you get a Smart Rider card. If your mum's house is out in the burbs that might be annoying. Will you have a car to drive?

I swam with the dolphins at Monkey Mia, in the Shark Bay, which is a good 8-9 hour drive away though. You'd have to spend at least 2-3 nights minimum for that to be worth while.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 30
6. Re: budget and swimming with dolphins

Trimac I truly doubt you "swam" with dolphins given that it was banned in the 80s and CALM officers have only permitted visitors to stand in a line on the waters edge since then.

Perth, Australia
7. Re: budget and swimming with dolphins

Well maybe not literally 'swam', but I was in waist-deep and the the dolphins came really close, so close one touched me. I forget if we were allowed to touch the dolphins, but it was a very close-up encounter, which I think is as good as 'swimming' with them. It was during one of the morning feeding shows back in 2009.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 30
8. Re: budget and swimming with dolphins

So - in future if you plan to provide advice to tourists - be factual and dont exagerate. Its extremely misleading and gives a bad impression to people who may choose to do an expensive activity based on your totally incorrect statements.

Perth, Australia
9. Re: budget and swimming with dolphins

Well it's practically the same, I consider it 'swimming with the dolphins' for all intents and purposes, my intent was obviously not to mislead.

Perth, Western...
reviews: 38
10. Re: budget and swimming with dolphins

There are often dolphins in Mandurah (I went for a walk on our local beach - San Remo - last week and I could see about 8 dolphins swimming just past the waves, it was beautiful!). You will more than likely see dolphins from one of the cruises that head out from Mandurah, but as mentioned, you won't be able to swim with them.