We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on Itinerary (Perth-Albany-Denmark-Augusta-MR)

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
littlesock
reviews: 10
Advice on Itinerary (Perth-Albany-Denmark-Augusta-MR)

Hi,

I am excited to visit Perth again in late September for 8 days 7 nights, and am wondering if you could help to see if my itinerary is achievable or too hectic (or even too 'empty')?

We are traveling in a group of 8 (4 adults, 1 senior, 3 kids between 1 to 4 year old) and will be renting a 12 seater van during the trip.

Day 1 (Fri) : Arrive in Perth at late noon - Free and Easy/Shopping

Day 2 : Caversham Wildlife Park / Freo

Day 3 : Drive to Albany (Torndirrup NP / Gap / Natural Bridge / etc) (overnight in Denmark)

Day 4 : Valley of the Giants / Leeuwin lighthouse / Jewel Cave (overnight in MR)

Day 5 and 6 : exploring the MR region - we were thinking to visit a farm for the kids (any recommendations?) and squeeze in a whale watching tour

Day 7 : Back to Perth via Bunbury/Mandurah

Day 8 : Kings Park /Shopping / leave Perth at noon

Thanks so much, guys.

Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
reviews: 5
1. Re: Advice on Itinerary (Perth-Albany-Denmark-Augusta-MR)

Day 4 is a mission. Denmark to MR via Augusta and Jewel Cave is over 5 hours non stop driving. Factoring in stops at TreeTop Walk, lighthouse and Jewel Cave (plus lunch etc) will result in one very looong day. No doubt you may see other attractions along the way and stop at those too.

I would suggest visiting the Leeuwin lighthouse and Jewel Cave on day 5 or 6.

littlesock
reviews: 10
2. Re: Advice on Itinerary (Perth-Albany-Denmark-Augusta-MR)

Thanks aj. Will shift it around. Just curious, anywhere like caversham wildlife park in the MR region ?

Perth, Australia
reviews: 27
3. Re: Advice on Itinerary (Perth-Albany-Denmark-Augusta-MR)

I wouldn't do Caversham wild life and Freo on the same day.... too far apart.

While near the wild life park, take the kid to the Margaret River Chocolate Factory ... they'll enjoy that ... and I can vouch for the delicious chocolate brownies for the adults... and the yummy hot chocolate.

Drop in at Fremantle on the way back from the south ... after you've been to Mandurah ... bypassing Bunbury because Freo is better...

Have a look at this website.

www.margaretriver.com

Edited: 11:21 am, July 10, 2012
perth
reviews: 5
4. Re: Advice on Itinerary (Perth-Albany-Denmark-Augusta-MR)

In my view best to visit Fremantle when markets are open on Fri/Sat/Sun. If on the Friday you visited Caversham Wildlife Park in the morning still leaves plenty of time to drive to Freo and spend a few hours there. Caversham Wildlife Park is great and worth a visit..

Driving a 12 seater van you will need to allow 5 hours to drive to Albany. If you left Perth early (7am) would leave time to also visit the attractions down that way but will be a long tiring day for driver.

Whilst in Mandurah you should consider an estuary cruise. Very good chance to spot dolphins.

Fremantle, Australia
reviews: 37
5. Re: Advice on Itinerary (Perth-Albany-Denmark-Augusta-MR)

Phew this is much too hectic for me! Why not base yourselves either in Albany/Denmark of MR region. So much to see and do in both areas. I feel the attraction of the South West and Perth/Freo is to relax and enjoy the beautiful natural environment.The wildflowers will be out then so make sure Kings Park is a stop- your children will like the playgrounds there as well as and river foreshoresand beaches to build sandcastles. Have done quite a bit of country car trips over the years to visit family in Albany and these tend to be quite long trips- especially with little ones.

Perth, Australia
reviews: 75
6. Re: Advice on Itinerary (Perth-Albany-Denmark-Augusta-MR)

I agree with Jean - this is way too much to squeeze in to such a short space of time. Your current itinerary means:

Day 3 - drive to Albany (5-6 hours) PLUS another 1 hour to get to Torndirrup NP - then allow at least 1 hour of sightseeing; and then get back in the car for another 1.5 hours to drive to Denmark (from Torndirrup). = approx 9 hours in car [and you miss out on seeing all the Albany sights]

Day 4 - from Denmark to Tree Top Walk (45 minutes), and allow 1 hour there. [which means you miss out on all the Denmark sights - sigh] Then drive 3 -4 hours to lighthouse and allow 1 hour there; and then 1 hour to Jewel Cave and allow 1 hour there = approx 6 hours in car [and miss out on Walpole, Northcliffe, Pemberton, Augusta....]

I would heed Jean's advice and base yourself in the Great Southern (Albany/Denmark ) OR Margaret River and really get to experience the area rather than driving through at a hectic pace

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 30
7. Re: Advice on Itinerary (Perth-Albany-Denmark-Augusta-MR)

Yep agree - <<miss out on>> is the operative word there. Too much driving and no actual seeing or enjoying.

8. Re: Advice on Itinerary (Perth-Albany-Denmark-Augusta-MR)

There is a place in dunsborough not far from MR called country life farm that the kids would live, can feed the animals etc etc, they would probably have a website.

Manchester, United...
reviews: 123
9. Re: Advice on Itinerary (Perth-Albany-Denmark-Augusta-MR)

The South West region is defiantly the best area.

Depends on how the kids are going to be on the long drive.

Yes there is a lot of driving involved but at least in this part of Australia there is nice things to see along the way.

Just done a quick search on google for animal farms in MR

Sunflowers Animal Farm & Farm Stay

Caversham is good however as you can interact directly with the kangaroos and you can hand feed them within their enclosure

Valley of the Giants you only need an hour there. Takes about 15-30mins to walk the VOTG. Whilst we were there, there was an animal show where you could hold a snake.

If you are going to go back to Perth then I would stop at Busseleton rather than Mandurah. There is the longest wooden jetty (pier) in the southern hemisphere, stretching almost 2 km out to sea in Busseleton

Pemberton is also a nice stop over. There is the Gloucester Tree, which you can climb and have great views from the top

Albany is a nice stop as well and the Gap is a must see

10. Re: Advice on Itinerary (Perth-Albany-Denmark-Augusta-MR)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, July 20, 2013