We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xmas 2012

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Aberdeen, United...
reviews: 1
Xmas 2012

Hi Folks, we are coming to Perth this Christmas from 11th Dec until 4th Jan.

We would like some suggestions on what to do that is specifically done by locals at Xmas.

Also, l would like to do some fishing, either in the sea or on the river, and would also like to visit some wineries or maybe go on a cruise.

We both fancy going down to Margaret river for a couple of days so any recommendations for down there would be great

And obviously any good restaurants to visit, especially steak or seafood.

Thanks

Tam

Perth, Australia
reviews: 27
1. Re: Xmas 2012

First thing you must do is book accommodation.

Accommodation is hard to get in Perth at any time, because of the mining boom.

If you want to go down to Margaret River for a few days, book that too ... because if you don't, it will all be booked out.

www.margaretriver.com

You can get a ferry from the Barrack Street jetty down the river to Fremantle. There is commentary and tea and coffee along the way. You will see some beautiful homes from the river, which you cannot see from the streets.

www.captaincookcruises.com.au

I can recommend a trip to the Swan Valley .. where there are wineries.

www.svtours.com.au

You can go by bus and return by the river ... or hire a car and visit the Swan Valley wineries of your choice, have a nice lunch (I can recommend Sitellas or the Black Swan Restaurants), Caversham Wildlife Park and the chocolate factory.

There are some nice restaurants on Fishermans Harbour in Fremantle ... Hillarys Boat Harbour - which is a large complex built on the ocean - has an aquarian, AQWA, as well as many shops and restaurants .. and is worth a day out.

Christmas Day, I can suggest you stock up on some meat and salads and have a barbecue in Kings Park ... or near the beaches there is usually barbecues available for the public ... it's a popular past time.

So I suggest a week in Perth ... maybe a few days down the Fremantle area .. say about 4 nights ... and you can go to Rottnest Island for the day from Fremantle (hire bikes and ride around the island, private vehicles are not permitted).

And a week or so down at Margaret River .. base yourself there in an apartment so you can sightsee around the whole area.

Or, you could drive to Albany (takes about 5hrs) and stay there two nights, onto Denmark, William Bay, Walpole to visit the tree top walk, Pemberton, Bridgetown and drive through Nannup to Margaret River...

So much to decide .... but let us know what sort of accommodation you are looking for in Perth, whether its the CBD or the beaches, whether you want an apartment or hotel .. and we can suggest some for you.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 52
2. Re: Xmas 2012

One thing the locals do is book accommodation early as this is high season for travelling. Not many places are open on Christmas Day due to high penalty rates for staff, and those that are will charge like wounded bulls.

You could have a look at the official WA Tourism Commission's website

westernaustralia.com/au/Pages/Welcome_to_Wes…

for some ideas that appeal and are in your price range.

(Snap, Eaglemaniac :-) )

Edited: 5:35 am, June 13, 2012
Aberdeen, United...
3. Re: Xmas 2012

Hi Folks, sorry l was in a bit of a hurry to get to work yesterday and forgot to say that we are staying with family while in Perth.This is also going to be their first Perth Xmas as well :-)

Christmas day is sorted but its the lead up to Xmas and the few days after leading up to New Years Day that we would like to know what you guys get up to, special events and activities, stuff like that.

I have ma Kilt looked out for Hogmanay, tho l might have to buy a lightweight one for the slightly better weather than we get in Scotland LOL

We will probably be going down to Margaret River mid-week so we can spend the weekends with family and l like your suggestion of visiting a few places on way down, that is something we will definitely look in to.

Thanks for your replies and look forward to some more

Tam

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 52
4. Re: Xmas 2012

Well, do look at the Tourism Commission website- we don't really have any actual set Christmas traditions. There are often big sales on on Boxing Day but unless you're looking to buy discounted white goods and don't mind losing chunks of hair probably best avoided :-) There's Carols By Candlelight in the city and if you're shopping in the city and some of the major shopping centres they put on random Christmas type entertainment but that's not really the draw for shoppers.

New Year's celebration are fairy low key, though there are a few things on. If you do a search on this website using the search box in the green strip at the top of the thread list you will find a couple of discussions about what's on.

But seriously, you need to decide fairly soon whether and when you will go to Margaret River because accommodation there over the Christmas school holidays books out early.

Edited: 5:45 am, June 14, 2012
Perth WA
reviews: 34
5. Re: Xmas 2012

I highly recommend a Christmas Lights cruise on the Mandurah canals. Absolutely brillant - you won't believe how some of the houses are lit up.

You can also drive around the suburbs and see other amazing examples - there's a competition every year and many of the homeowners collect for charity as well.

For youngsters there's the Christmas Nativity and the Christmas Pageant, both in the city.

Usually there's a free symphony concert in the park too but the usual venue is being redeveloped so I don't know about that this year.

Perth, Australia
reviews: 209
6. Re: Xmas 2012

Christmas and New year tend to be spent with family. Public holidays get expensive to eat out.

Movies are a boxing day tradition as new releases come out.

Perth, Australia
reviews: 67
7. Re: Xmas 2012

I would say Carols by Candlelight is an Australian tradition at Christmas - there will be several local community ones as well as the major one is Perth which will be on Sunday evening before Christmas in The Supreme Court Gardens in the city centre.

As it is Summer, when there has been a hot day but no seabreeze (most days there is a strong sea breeze) it is a good day to go to the beach and have a picnic / fish and chips and watch the sunset. Cottesloe has a nice atmosphere to enjoy this and then perhaps have an icecream ....

Perth, Australia
reviews: 27
8. Re: Xmas 2012

As for the Carols by Candlelight suggestion, can I suggest you visit the ones at Scarborough Beach?

I took an Italian girl there and she couldn't believe she was sitting on the beach watching the sunset singing Christmas Carols ...it was a great novelty for her as she comes from an area in Italy with lots of mountains and snow. So I think you may enjoy that too.

Perth, Australia
reviews: 19
9. Re: Xmas 2012

Get up at 8am on boxing day to watch the test in melbourne.

BBQ fry up for brekkie, left over prawns for lunch, a 6 pack of beer and some bread rolls and ham for dinner!! That's a classic boxing day!

If you are going to mandurah, get up early one morning and wade for crabs!

seriously, summer in perth is cold beer, great seafood and be surrounded by water! well mine is anyway

Aberdeen, United...
10. Re: Xmas 2012

Well, finally got a couple of days off work to try to get something booked.

We are going to go down to Margaret River the week before Xmas so any recommendations on Hotels or B&Bs would be welcome.

The Margaret River Hotel looks quite good, anyone been there ?

A cruise to see the lights at Mandurah is a definite so might look for a nights accomodation there as well so that l can "wade for crabs" or maybe do a wee bit fishing.

Carols by Candlelight at Scarborough Beach sounds good as well, as does fish and chips at Cottesloe Beach.