We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parks near fremantle

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
woking
Parks near fremantle

hi, can anyone suggest a good park to go round for a day trip, the ones i have looked into are john forrest national park and yanchep national park, has anyone been to these parks or can they suggest a different one, we would like to see wild animals(kangaroos, koalas etc) not in enclosures and we would like there to be barbecue or picnic areas. thanks

reviews: 6
1. Re: Parks near fremantle

Not really any around Fremantle that i can think of; John Forrest (My pick of the two you mentioned) is a good hour from Freo and Yanchep is even further. You won't see Koalas as they aren't native to WA, as far as Kangaroos go, you may be lucky but if seeing them is a 'must' then perhaps you should think about going to a wildlife park.

google: whiteman park, caversham wildlife park, but these are still a long way from Freo, are you hiring a car?? If proximity is an issue you will all the Aussie animals you want at the zoo, plus good picnic areas.

Perth, Australia
reviews: 38
2. Re: Parks near fremantle

Sorry Jam.. no koalas found native in Western Australia and if you want kangaroos in the wild you need to get up very early or be out at twilight.We have managed to walk amongst Wallabies at Walyunga National Park is to the North of Perth (an hour from Fremantle) Wyalunga has swimming in the river as long as its not too hot!! Amoebic Menin risk when water gets to over 30oC.Will you be travelling by car? If so a good park is Whiteman Park which is just outside Perth on the Reid Highway, this park is right next to the Swan Valley wine area which is a good trip for the adults. Whiteman has barbeques play areas tennis courts,swimming pool and just about everthing else, so it is not wilderness but a manicured area. Another not to miss area is Rottnest. We have gorgeous little creatures called Quokka's which are only found on this island. A ferry can get you there for a day trip. Fantastic snorkeling and swimming area its called Perth's Overseas secret!! Just dont tell them I told you... lol

Enjoy!!

reviews: 6
3. Re: Parks near fremantle

Hi again, I neglected to mention Kings Park, probably the best place for a picnic lunch, awesome views over Perth, back to the escarpment, great facilities, literally 5mins from the CBD, you can't miss it, easy to get to by car or public transport, unlike the others mentioned. As far a kangaroos go.... They are there, but i think it would be difficult to spot them at any of the places mentioned at a reasonable hour. If you are really set on seeing them maybe you should look at going to a wildlife park, if you are going to any of the regional areas of WA you will more than likely see them in the wild.

I honestly feel that a trip to any of the "outlying" national parks around the fringe of the CBD may be disappointing in summer, hot and dry. You can see almost everything you would see in these parks at Kings Park

http://www.bgpa.wa.gov.au/kingspark/ - this is the kings park website.

Perth, Australia
reviews: 3
4. Re: Parks near fremantle

jam

if you want to visit one near Freo(may still need car) Marapana Wildlife Sanctuary is south of freo about 40-50min. Last visit years ago there was a petting session and were able to see lots of animals.

hope this helps!!