We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting the West Side

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
california
reviews: 1
Visiting the West Side

I have been to the North, South, and Eastern part of Australia. This will be my first to the West side. Im looking for a nice beach with accomodations and surfing(longboard perferably). I am from San Diego, and would like to enjoy the sun, bars, and the local atmosphere in Perth. Any suggestions. Travel time will be in October. Thanks for the help...

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
reviews: 576
1. Re: Visiting the West Side

Scarborough Beach in Perth has a lovely beach with good surf.

For accomodation have a look at the Seashells Apartments directly across the road from the beach. Also Observation Hotel is a good 4 star hotel opposite the beach.

Other suggestions is to hire a car and drive down to the Margaret River region which is highly recommended for fabulous surfing spots such as Yallingup.

For accomodation there is the seashells caves hotel or the caravan park has excellent cabins directly overlooking Yallingup Beach.

my reviews on all of the above.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g580530-d263…

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g488371-d643…

Another suggestion is to fly to Coral Bay and explore the awesome region of Exmouth and the Ningaloo Reef.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g580525-d618…

Perth, Australia
reviews: 44
2. Re: Visiting the West Side

Surf and Yallingup as Ellemay says. Also Rottnest can have some great surf out the back too. I would think that Margaret River/Yallingup would be the place for you somehow. Have a look at www.downsouth.com.au for some ideas.

Perth, Australia
reviews: 29
3. Re: Visiting the West Side

Also give lancelin a go. Its an hours drive north of perth and has some good surf - including a sand break. You'd only need a weekend in lancelin. You can also sandboard on the dunes, go dirtbike or quad riding on the duness.

At night head to the pub and hang with some real locals who always go very very hard on the weekend.

Its less touristy thatn Margs but still a great place for a weekend.

california
4. Re: Visiting the West Side

Wow, thanks for the quick response everyone. Ok, i have been looking more and more at what Perth has to offer for a 5 day get away. I like the beach idea alot, in fact i think i will look hard at scarborough area for a place to lay my head. Is there a nightlife there? Will i have to go to town at night to get my party on? Can i stay local and have a late night of music and entertainment?

I will definitely visit the river, i've heard of that place.

Can you give me a list of good clubs/bars/pubs in the area that are popular?

Thanks,

Bo-san

Perth, Australia
reviews: 29
5. Re: Visiting the West Side

There is no real night life in scarborough area. Your only option is a couple of pubs and one nightclub - not realy all that cool, but thats just my opinion in case i offend anyone.

To party at night head to Perth... Start at Box on Hay St about 6pm for cool cocktails and relaxing vibes, acid funk jazz sounds ( free tapas and live acid/funk jazz band on wednesday nights).

Then maybe head to Tiger Lils in Murray St (a 5min walk).

Northbridge- a further 15min walk is the nightlife district, loads of nightclubs - though i never go there. There are safer and much more modern places to go. Not that Northbridge is downtown LA but if you visit it before the other places you'll know what i mean.

Catch a cab to Leederville- Niche Bar, nice club. good cocktails and a nice clubby vibe.

Subiaco- subi as the everyone calls it has a wide range of restaraunts, pubs and clubs. Check out the Subi hotel, Llama bar. Red Sea etc...

My stomping ground in Mt Lawley - Heres what i do when i want to get "my party on".

The Brisbane Hotel - "The Brizzy" - G

reat place just a 20min casual walk from the cbd. great outdoor area with water features, lounges etc. Inside is cool also. Get hear early if you want a seat. If fealing a little hungry you've got to try the sausage rolls.

After a few ales or cocktails walk up to the "Must Wine Bar" - a small place excellent wine by the glass or bottle, fantastic cocktails and a good range of beers.

Dirrectly opposite is the Queens- a local institution. It really is jus a pub, but a great place.

Walk 5 mins up the road to the Pony Club- a new establishment with a growing reputation. By now you'll be a bit peckish (hungry) good full on main meals or tapas style bar snacks available.

To end the evening stumble back towards Perth to The Lux bar. great cocktails - try the apple martini!!!! i have never had better anywhere in the world. The downstairs area goes off about 10.30pm

Whilst a bit of walking is involved - its not that much and it means you can get to perth via public transport and then home via taxi thus maximising your dollar.

(Its 5 am in the morning here as i write this - and hanging for tonight)

The other place for a totally different feel is Fremantle - lpenty of action and all accesable via the train.

california
6. Re: Visiting the West Side

Thanks again, I think the club section is complete. How often does the train/trolley run? how much is a cab ride from scarobourough to downtown Perth. What does cbd stand for? What is the weather like during October?

Perth, Australia
reviews: 44
7. Re: Visiting the West Side

Buses and Trains will depend on day of the week and whether peak hour, evening etc. Most places buses are every 15 minutes during the week day(non peak), pushing out to 1/2 hour to an hour for evening/weekends. Trains a little more frequent. Have a look at www.transperth.wa.gov.au to get an idea.

CBD = Central Business District i.e. Perth City offices.

According to the Bureau of Meteorology, the mean max is 23 and min 11 but they are predicting 70% chance of higher night temps (min) for Spring . In my experience, you are quite likely to see mid to high 20's during the day, maybe even a 30+ and possibly some showers. The average rainfall for Oct is 40mm but we won't be holding our breath. With any luck if it does rain, it will be at night anyway.

Can't help with accurate taxi fare. Maybe $25/$30 based on distance is my best guess.

8. Re: Visiting the West Side

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 pm, September 09, 2009