We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

broome, exmouth, tom price in March

Which Broome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
reviews: 1
broome, exmouth, tom price in March

Hi,

We are planning to fly into Broome from Darwin on March 17th and then fly to Exmouth on the 18th. We will then hire a car and drive from Exmouth to Tom Price and then back to Broome.

We are allowing 2 days in Exmouth, 2 days in Tom Price and then 4 days in Broome. Do you think we will be able to drive Tom Price to Broome in 1 day/?

Any suggestions for actiivities in Exmouth and Tom Price in March? Will all the roads be open at this time of year?

Thanks for any help!

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 32
1. Re: broome, exmouth, tom price in March

In Exmouth absolutely definitely do not miss a chance to swim with the whale sharks - without doubt the best wildlife experience Ive had and that includes snorkeling in the Galapagos and a 12day-trip to Antarctica. Also just snorkel ling on the reef is absolutely magic. You can pick it up right off the beach - no long boat trips like the GBR.

Why are you going to Tom Price?. There is nothing there but a humongous mine and once you've seen that there is nothing much else to do. I would spend more time in Broome or Exmouth and give it a miss.

You would certainly be pushing it to drive it in a day and it is quite possible that roads will be closed due to the wet also.

Melbourne
2. Re: broome, exmouth, tom price in March

thanks for the comments!

The only reason we were looking at going to Tom Price is because it is an alternate route to Port Headland (I had heard that Port Headland was fairly ordinary) and that Tom Price is a good place to see the Karijini National Park. But we are not set on going there and I guess that's why this forum is so useful!

Have you been to both Port Headland and Tom Price and would you recommend one over the other?

I also like the idea of spending more time in either Broome or Exmouth so perhaps only 1 day stop through in either Tom Price or Port Headland is the way to go. I think Port Headland is a shorter route to Broome as well so maybe that is the more appropriate way to go.

Any other comments would be most useful.

Gerogery West...
Destination Expert
for Moab
reviews: 59
3. Re: broome, exmouth, tom price in March

Tom Price has Karijini NP, other than that it is a long way around to Broome. We'd recommend sticking with the coast road, spend more time in Exmouth/Broome and break the trip at PH. True, Port Hedland is fairly ordinary but as an ovenight stop there is nothing wrong with it.

"Will all the roads be open at this time of year?"

That all depends on cyclones. Travel to the Pilbara/Kimberleys in March will always have a chance of running into a cyclone. These are usually the only thing that will close any of the roads. But they can cause inconvenience in other ways. A good time of year to travel but you take your chances.

Adelaide, Australia
4. Re: broome, exmouth, tom price in March

Agree totally with Noel Donna - although Karijini is special too- but I think you probably need a bit more time to see it all. Why not just do Exmouth, Coral Bay and Broome this time and go back for another look at Karijini, Millstream and the Kimberley area when you have more time.

Melbourne
5. Re: broome, exmouth, tom price in March

ok, thanks for the info.

I think we will spend an overnight stop in Port Headland (as we had originally planned before being put on the Tom Price track) and then we'll drive onto Broome.

Any suggestions about where to stay in Exmouth?

Adelaide, Australia
6. Re: broome, exmouth, tom price in March

I think that the Pot Shot Hotel in Exmouth is OK- but another option is also to go to the visitors centre at Exmouth and see if you can get information about self contained accomodation from them. Thats what we did and got a nice little aprtment to stay in.

Melbourne
7. Re: broome, exmouth, tom price in March

We are arriving in Exmouth at 6:30 at night, so it will probably be necessary to have the accomodation booked already, but thanks for the suggestion!

Adelaide, Australia
8. Re: broome, exmouth, tom price in March

Well then go for the Pot Shot . Its fine.

Karratha
reviews: 12
9. Re: broome, exmouth, tom price in March

Hi Mick Kim

May I suggest you stay in Karratha instead of Port Hedland. Karratha is a much nicer cleaner town with better accomodation and sights to see. The Dampier Archipelago consisting of over 42 islands is at your door step. The archipelago is one of the most diverse diving and fishing spots in the world and is very much un touched. Karratha offers eco tours to fishing charters on 70 feet cats straight from the barrier reef. If you get out amongst it you are sure to see dolphins, whales in winter, whale sharks, manta ray, turtle hatching and laying eggs on the islands etc.

Hope this helps.

…wa.gov.au/visitor_info/attractions.htm

mailto:info@tourist.karratha.com

www.postcards.pilbara.net/step1.asp…

Melbourne
10. Re: broome, exmouth, tom price in March

thanks kei, i had looked at karratha but wasn't sure there was much there! i will definately look into it now. i'll have to look at the driving distances between exmouth and karratha and karratha and broome.

Thanks again!

Get answers to your questions about Broome