We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Broome to Darwin Via Gibb River. 2 Weeks !

Which Broome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
warren NSW
reviews: 8
Travelling from Broome to Darwin Via Gibb River. 2 Weeks !

hi, im heading to broome in july to drive in a 4wd through the gibb river rd on to darwin. We have 2 and a bit weeks. what can you suggest. We are 4 young women and looking for adventure. is the mitchell falls worth spending a whole day to get there. and does anybody recommend the horizontal water falls???? Id like to go to Argyle Dam and the Bungle Bungles but is this just to far out of the way??

Also does anybody not recommed any where in particular.

12 replies to this topic
Darwin, Australia
reviews: 63
1. Re: Travelling from Broome to Darwin Via Gibb River. 2 Weeks !

You will need more than two weeks to get to Horizontal Falls, Mitchell Plateau, GRR, plus making the detour to Bungles per your other post, and stopping at Lake Arglye.

LA is on the way to Darwin, so its not off your path.

You will need about 13-14 hours of driving to get from Kunurra to Darwin if you dont go via LA

Why dont you post an itinerary and we can comment if you have time.

You cant drive fast on these roads and things just take longer to get where you are going, dont underestimate the kms may be short- but conditions harder on your car.

It depends on what your interests are as to what you shouldnt do.....

warren NSW
2. Re: Travelling from Broome to Darwin Via Gibb River. 2 Weeks !

ARRRHHH so much to do in so little time.... Thanks heaps for your help. i really appreciate it. so this is just a veryyyy rough itinerary as we have only just started to throw ideas around as a group as to where we would like to go.... We arrive in Broome at 6 pm i was thinking 3 nights in Broome. 29-1st ( camels on cable beach, pearling & ?????) Then Heading to Derby early Wed 2nd and maybe heading to Horizontal falls that arvo. Night in Derby? 3,4,5,6 on GRR with a night at mitchell falls. Visit waterfalls and gorges, el questro. Stay in Kunnanurra on 7th. Drive to Lake Aryle and then onto Bungle Bungles and have a night there??? Or should we just book a scenic flight over these two from Kunanurra to save time?. 8th at Bungle Bungles??? 9th and 10th head towards Katherine. Stay in Katherine on the 11th. Litchfield 12 & 13th. Darwin 14th, 15th & 16th???

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 32
3. Re: Travelling from Broome to Darwin Via Gibb River. 2 Weeks !

You don't have time to do all this in 2 weeks. It will take you a full day to get to Mitchell Falls from Derby. Mitchell Falls is not on the GRR. The road in is VERY rough with lots of creek crossings.

It will then take you most of a day to get to El Questro.

Going to the Bungles from Kununurra will take you one day in, one day out an then you need at least one day there. Have a look at this website to get more idea.http://www.kimberleyaustralia.com/

Alice Springs...
Destination Expert
for Red Centre
reviews: 23
4. Re: Travelling from Broome to Darwin Via Gibb River. 2 Weeks !

Hi Jess,

One of the best resources for planning a trip to the Kimberley is the guidebook by Ron & Viv Moon. You should be able to pick it up in most large bookstores, 4WD stores or online.

I've travelled the Gibb & Bungles many times, below is a sample itinerary to get you started with some ideas of where to stop - assuming you have or are hiring camping equipment. Manning Gorge is one of my favourite spots - while the camping area is nothing to get excited about (unless there has been some serious work over the last couple of years), the hike to the waterfall and swimming in the waterholes is amazing. Happy planning!

29 Arrive Broome

2 To Derby

3 To Windjana Gorge and optional side trip to Tunnel Creek

4 Manning Gorge (visit Galvans Gorge on the way)

5 Manning Gorge

6 El Questro

7 El Questro

8 Bungles Turn Off

9 Bungles

10 Kununurra

11Kununurra

12 Timber Creek (via Lake Argyle)

13 Katherine

14 Katherine

15 Darwin

16 Darwin

Broome
reviews: 11
5. Re: Travelling from Broome to Darwin Via Gibb River. 2 Weeks !

Also look at gibbriverroad.net great website with lots of different itinery ideas. You can fly to the horizontal waterfalls from Broome as well, although it's closer and cheaper from Derby. Make sure you book the plane flight beforehand, you don't want to get to derby and find it's booked out.

Would also recommend the flight over the bungles from Kununurra, you really need to allow three days if driving from Kununurra, otherwise most of your time is spent driving.

Alice Springs
reviews: 15
6. Re: Travelling from Broome to Darwin Via Gibb River. 2 Weeks !

I have nothing to add re itinerary and it sounds like it will be a great trip.

However, I may sound like a wowser, if you don't have decent experience 4wd ing, changing tyres, negotiating water crossings, inflating and deflating the tyres to suit the road surface etc etc I would think twice about the trip.

Darwin, Australia
reviews: 63
7. Re: Travelling from Broome to Darwin Via Gibb River. 2 Weeks !

I totally agree with bacalicesprings. The GRR and Mtchell Plateau trip is hard on tyres and they must be deflated and good quality tyres otherwise the rocks will eat them up.

On GRR these days you dont have to wait too long for a car to appear if you need assistance, however being totally self reliant to get your car out of a trouble will be an major thing.

warren NSW
8. Re: Travelling from Broome to Darwin Via Gibb River. 2 Weeks !

Thank you all sooo much for your help. we all met up today and decided that we will spend more time in broome and Darwin and less time in the middle. We have cut the horizontal water falls, Mitchell falls and the bungles. we are going to just drive the GRR and do a few close gorges and elquestro etc. we don't want to be driving all day every day. we are thinking of doing a scenic flight from Kun over the Bungles. you all have been such great help. at this stage thinking 30,1,2 in broome. 3,4,5 GRR 6,7 Kununara. 8,9 between KUN and Katherine. 10,11 Katherine 12 Litchfield 13,14,15, 16th in Darwin......

Broome, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome
reviews: 41
9. Re: Travelling from Broome to Darwin Via Gibb River. 2 Weeks !

Sounds good to me Jess..

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 32
10. Re: Travelling from Broome to Darwin Via Gibb River. 2 Weeks !

Not sure what you are planning to do between Kununurra and Katherine. There isn't a lot to see or do - or places to stay.

While it is expensive I would also consider taking flights over both Mitchell Falls and Horizontal Falls. I promise you you wont regret it.

Edited: 9:08 pm, January 23, 2014
Reply to: Travelling from Broome to Darwin Via Gibb River. 2 Weeks !
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted