We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Horizontal falls, and Buccaneer Archipeligo

Which Broome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Jerusalem
reviews: 16
Horizontal falls, and Buccaneer Archipeligo

Hi

Our family (5 of us) will be in the Kimberly area July next year. We have already booked a motorhome (not 4WD).

How do we get to see the Horizontal falls, and Buccaneer Archipeligo without spending 3000 dollars on the seaplane / fly-in combination for half a day's entertainment?

Edited: 2:43 pm, November 22, 2010
Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 32
1. Re: Horizontal falls, and Buccaneer Archipeligo

Don'T know unless you have the time to go out in a boat for a couple of days- and that will still cost you plenty. This is a very remote area.

Also Im not sure how much of the Kimberley you will be able to see without a 4x4 anyway. I def would not consider going up there without one.

Anyway Id say do the flight. I promise you you wont regret it.

Tasmania
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
reviews: 72
2. Re: Horizontal falls, and Buccaneer Archipeligo

I lived up that way 30 years ago and went to the waterfall at Talbot Bay many times in those days, but always by air (helicopter). It is not accessible by vehicle. The best you could manage is to get to Kimbolton or Oobagooma homesteads from Derby and it's an extremely difficult 3 to 4 day walk through cut quartzite country from there. So having a four wheel drive won't really help anyway.

Don't know if there still is, but there used to be a daily air service from Derby to Koolan Island where you might be able to find a friendly off-duty ore miner to take you there in his tinny, but it's still a long way by open boat. The Derby tourist information centre might be able to offer suggestions. there's some info on their website. http://www.derbytourism.com.au/derby.asp

The cheapest trip I can find is a fixed wing trip from Broome with King Leopold Air, at about $450 per person, but I think that I would prefer the last leg to be by boat and theirs is only a fly-by. It is a truly a remarkable and magnificent sight, but also very remote. The choice seems to be to pay or miss out. The Australian terrain is often inconvenient. :)

Luigi

Broome, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome
reviews: 41
3. Re: Horizontal falls, and Buccaneer Archipeligo

Well put Luigi....

My husband has viewed it from the air. I am a flying wimp and won't go in a small plane. I think I am going to miss out ever seeing it, despite living in Broome for the better part of ten years now.

Good luck to you Wayne with your plans...I know my husband thought it was an incredible experience.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
reviews: 156
4. Re: Horizontal falls, and Buccaneer Archipeligo

It is a fair distance from Broome and I managed to visit it by flying over it using one of the local tour companies. Got a bit lucky as I had booked on the half day flight but the company had to cancel them twice so I eventually got the full day flight for the half day price. As you have 5 in the family you might be able to do a deal with one of the charter companies as some of the aircraft only carry a few passengers, but you have to be used to flying in a small plane.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
reviews: 156
5. Re: Horizontal falls, and Buccaneer Archipeligo

Forgot to mention but most motor home rental companies will not allow you to take their vehicle on gravel roads. It will restrict your travelling a bit.

Adelaide, Australia
6. Re: Horizontal falls, and Buccaneer Archipeligo

<<<The best you could manage is to get to Kimbolton or Oobagooma homesteads from Derby and it's an extremely difficult 3 to 4 day walk through cut quartzite country from there. So having a four wheel drive won't really help anyway.>>

But Luigi could you even get to those stations in a normal camper van?

The thing is wayne without a 4x4 you will be pretty well stuck to the area around Broome - and going out to Geikie Gorge - and there is just so much else to see.

Tasmania
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
7. Re: Horizontal falls, and Buccaneer Archipeligo

I don't know if you can get there now, but certainly in my time the Council graded the road a couple of times a year. It was passable to two wheel drives.

Would I take a campervan there? Probably not! Having a campervan doesn't do much toward getting you to Walcott. :)

Luigi

Adelaide, Australia
8. Re: Horizontal falls, and Buccaneer Archipeligo

In 2008 we did a cruise around the Kimberley coast and then flew back by helicopter to Mitchell Falls and by fixed wing to Broome. So saw the Horizontal Falls from sea and air. What an amazing experience. The Kimberley is my favorite part of Australia.

Jerusalem
reviews: 16
9. Re: Horizontal falls, and Buccaneer Archipeligo

Thanks for your help all. Turns out that our family is enough to hire a single plane, which gives us a whole lot more flexibility.

Tasmania
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
10. Re: Horizontal falls, and Buccaneer Archipeligo

Wayne, it's good to hear you've got this (and the Bungle Bungles) sorted out. And please let us know how your trip goes. It sounds interesting.

Luigi