We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we go to Esperance?

Which Western Australia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lancashire
reviews: 1
Should we go to Esperance?

We are spending 11 nights in WA after a 3 week trip round Sydney, NSW and Victoria.

I have already booked 3 nights in Perth but unsure about the other 8.

Should we try to visit wave rock? It's along way and most people seem to feel it's not worth the effort.

Should we try to get as far as Esperance or should we take a more leisurely approach and have 4 nights in Albany, 3 nights in Margaret River and our final night in Bunbury before our (long) flight home

Thanks

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 52
1. Re: Should we go to Esperance?

I guess it depends a little on time of year, but with 8 nights it could be considered a little ambitious if you're hoping to go home rested, especially as there is so much to see and do in between.

Unless it's on your way to somewhere, Wave Rock is a long way to go to see an interesting...rock. I've seen it, it was kinda cool, but at the same time I'd already seen a lot of WA you won't have, which would rate higher up the list of "must sees" IMO.

Lancashire
2. Re: Should we go to Esperance?

Thanks. I should have said that we'll be visiting in November.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
reviews: 275
3. Re: Should we go to Esperance?

I like your idea of taking a more leisurely approach and visiting Albany and MR (and/or Denmark and Pemberton, or, or, or...so much to choose from).

Esperance is lovely, but it's a long drive, and there's not a whole lot to see between Albany and Esperance other than Fitzgerald River Nat'l Park, which has limited access. There's a whole lot to see between Perth and Albany if you take the longer route going through Busselton, MR, Pemberton, Denmark, and Walpole. You'll be spoiled for choice.

Enjoy WA.

Fremantle, Australia
reviews: 37
4. Re: Should we go to Esperance?

Agree with previous posts. The south west is lovely and so much to see and do. Still plenty of driving and would suggest a one night stop at perhaps Pemberton when doing the Albany to MR stretch. That would allow a leisurely day of travel as from Albany you would spend time in Denmark, Walpole etc getting to Pemberton in late afternoon.

You could easily get back to Perth/Fremantle from MR if you wanted to be closer to airport before your flight.

Edited: 7:44 pm, September 25, 2012
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
reviews: 5
5. Re: Should we go to Esperance?

I always use Wave Rock as a lunch stop on the way to Esperance. Typically I will leave Perth 7.30am-ish, stop at Corrigin for a cuppa and then spend about an hour at Wave Rock, afternoon cuppa at Ravensthorpe and then on to Esperance arriving 5.30pm-ish. Its a long haul but one I really enjoy because of the desolute countryside and being for most of the time the only car on the road. Is it worth it? I say yes, but with 8 nights allocated and including Albany and MR it will be a lot of driving. You could quite comfortably delete Bunbury off your list as an overnighter depending on the time of your flight out. Allow 3.5hrs MR to Perth non-stop if its an option.

If Esperance is included I would plan the trip something like:

Esperance - 2 nights; Albany - 2 nights; Walpole or Pemberton - 1 night; MR - 3 nights. Ive added Walpole or Pemberton because the Albany-MR run is also a long haul and theres so much to check out along this stretch.

Omitting Esperance will of course make for a more leisurely trip so only you can decide how to spend your time. Toss a coin :))

[edit] took so long typing this that Ive repeated info from other posts that beat me to it!]

Edited: 7:54 pm, September 25, 2012
Lancashire
6. Re: Should we go to Esperance?

Thanks to you all for your help.

I'm still dithering!

cheshire
reviews: 45
7. Re: Should we go to Esperance?

Hi we did this trip in 2008, from Northam area outside Perth, deaded down inland on Southern Highway, good driving, excellent roads. Thro Beverley, Pingally to Narrogin, then headed towards Collie on 107 Big mines here, then down to Boyup brook and Bridgetown. Stayed around there but cant remember where, Nice area then to Nannup and back down to Pemberton saw the Gloucester Tree which we climbed. To Walpole along way but good driving again, and enjoyed it across to Denmark and along way down to Albany, would not go down to Albany again. Back up to Mount Baker then across rock Gully very hot, back to Manjimup and across to Nannup again down to the coast to Margaret River we should have stayed longer here, then back along coast through Bunbury and onto the 1 up to Rockingham. Into Freemantle last night stayed here. Loved the journey and the area.

8. Re: Should we go to Esperance?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 pm, December 14, 2013