We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

please help! looking for neighborhood....how is Kew??

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
australia
reviews: 1
please help! looking for neighborhood....how is Kew??

Hi!! I'm moving (very new to Melbourne)....currently live inner city - but really really like Brunswick......

Have seen places available in Thornbery (?) and Kew - are these neighborhoods similar? Do they also have streets w/cafe's etc?

Any advise would be great! Am looking for not too trendy (but alive) area that has cafe's, etc. walking distance.....

Any suggestions?

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 42
1. Re: please help! looking for neighborhood....how is Kew??

Hi egranite, I live in Fairfield, which is next door to Kew. If you are looking for a more cafe, inner city fringe suburb, you will be better off looking at Clifton Hill, Fairfield, Northcote. These suburbs are much more cafe inclined than Kew. Kew though, is a beautiful suburb, especially along the Yarra. I often run through parts of Kew and there are some spectacular old houses but these would cost a small fortune. Fairfield and Alphington are also expensive. Northcote is a tad cheaper and Thornbury a tad cheaper again as well. Thornbury though is pretty much a suburb of houses, some grand and some a bit dodgy, with very few cafe's.

Northcote near High St and Fairfield near Station St would be my two recommendations. Brunswick has a big mix of different house and living styles. Some very trendy areas, some ordinary areas and some bland areas, probably West Brunswick is the trendier part.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 11
2. Re: please help! looking for neighborhood....how is Kew??

Kew is a very "nice" suburb, quite expensive. Yes it's close but it is more inner suburbia than inner city.

THink carefully about public transport - the tram line looks very close (and it is) but because the trams are in the general traffic they can be very very slow - an hour to get to the CBD in peak hour.

It sounds like Fitzroy, St Kilda, Prahran, Northcote, Thornbery will suit you better.

australia
reviews: 1
3. Re: please help! looking for neighborhood....how is Kew??

THanks so much.......if anyone thinks of anything else - do tell. So helpful!

Australia
reviews: 2
4. Re: please help! looking for neighborhood....how is Kew??

Brunswick has it all, laods of ethnic groups, cheap fantastic food, great live music and cool pubs, students, professsionals, crusty old Aussies and asylum seekers.

Kew is full of uptight white people.

Northcote and Fairfield are pretty suburban when you scratch the surface. West Brunswick has better houses than most but no soul or cafes.

Stay close to Sydney Road and you'll be fine.

Melbourne
reviews: 6
5. Re: please help! looking for neighborhood....how is Kew??

Kew is a nice neighbourhood. on the more expensive side. much safer than the area you are living in now (Not that there is anything wrong with Brunswick).

As for Cafes, the Kew junction are has some really good cafes, but not like Lygon St (no Gelobar).

Kew is also near Nth Balwyn (which has some great cafes/restaurants), Hawthorn (glenferrie rd for shopping), Fairfield (as someone else said). Good cinema in Camberwell (The Rivoli) and Balwyn (Palace Cinema).

Agree Public transport is not up to scratch!!! No train to Kew, but a tram runs up High St and Whitehorse Rdto the city.

I wouldn't live in Thornbury.

Australia
6. Re: please help! looking for neighborhood....how is Kew??

Safety's not an issue in Brunswick. Average to low and on it's way down.Uninformed and/or narror minded people tend to make the jump between higher levels of refugees and Muslims to higher crime. Not so. The opposite is usually the case (I'm a criminologist).

Kew has the highest number of home security systems and car alarms in Victoria. I've have my car broken into twice in Kew and my sister was assulted there.

Full of artists, action, passion, mulitculturalism and life with a strong community spirit. That's Brunswick.

Or security systems and private schools. That's Kew.

You choose.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 42
7. Re: please help! looking for neighborhood....how is Kew??

Very strong views there Luckystarcircus and you are entitled to them. But if you look back through the last two years of posts, you will see many, many discussions on Melbourne suburbs to live and rent and there are a broad range of different opinions and thoughts. I know Kew and Brunswick really well and they are very different. Some parts of Brunswick are really good and other parts are a bit ordinary (it is a very big suburb). You mention staying close to Sydney Road and you will be fine but friends of mine sold up near the railway line (runs very close to Sydney Road) because of grafitti, even their car was used as a target. If you ride, walk or run down the track next to the railway line, every fence and many building walls are covered in grafitti, you may even study this and be able to tell us why they target that area?

Don't get me wrong, I like Brunswick and would live in certain parts of it but would avoid other parts...personal choice.

Can't recall what you called the people who live in Kew but it was a bit harsh.....I am sure there are many good people living there.

Australia
8. Re: please help! looking for neighborhood....how is Kew??

Grafitti is not a saftey issue. It is simply a symptom of an vibrant and rebelious youth culture.

9. Re: please help! looking for neighborhood....how is Kew??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 pm, August 19, 2009