We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping for kids

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Shopping for kids

I'll be staying in Melbourne CBD in June. Are there any recommendations for shopping for kids? My kids are 3yo and 1yo. I've heard Target, Kmart, Bonds have value for money clothes. Are there any other places I should go to?

7 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
1. Re: Shopping for kids

Try South Wharf DFO

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 277
2. Re: Shopping for kids

You might try Big W or even Victoria Market. Don't forget that there will be little or no summer stock in the stores in June.

Canberra, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
reviews: 2
3. Re: Shopping for kids

>>I've heard Target, Kmart, Bonds have value for money clothes.<<

I don't know, I suppose it depends on what you are looking for and what your perspective is. Kmart was cheap but acceptable and stocked some well-known brands including Bonds but it looks like it has gone even cheaper and only sells in-house brands, if you want cheap it's claim to fame seems to be cheap but is that value for money? Target was a little more upmarket and IMO is now the old Kmart equivalent, and still stocks Bonds last time I looked. There's a Bonds outlet store here so I imagine there are Bonds stores in Melbourne too, I don't know if they are any better than ours but Big W seems to have as good a range if not better. I suppose for 1 and 3 year olds you're not after anything that will last, with prices the way they are I'm not sure concepts like 'hand-me-downs' exist any more?

Melbourne, Australia
4. Re: Shopping for kids

The new shopping mall in the city called Emporium would be open by then. Not sure what kind of brands they would have though I suspect might be the fancier end

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 29
5. Re: Shopping for kids

It depends on your budget but Pumpkin Patch are a NZ brand of quality kids clothes that are very popular in Australia. They are not on the cheaper end (like Target) and a girls skirt will cost you $A29 - $40 but you can get them cheaper at the DFO ZOutlet. We like them because they are a quality item, not cheap like BigW

Canberra, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
reviews: 2
6. Re: Shopping for kids

NZ brand, unless things have changed again it's not NZ made. Can't speak for the quality, some brands maintain quality and some don't (I'm looking at you Bonds, the amount of loose ends of elastic after only a few weeks of wear is ridiculous).

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 47
7. Re: Shopping for kids

If you happen to be near the South Melbourne markets on Wednesday, Friday, Saturday or Sunday, there is a stall that sells Bonds clothing at slightly less than retail outlets.

The absolute cheapest way to buy children's clothes is to haunt the charity stores. They always have a stack of kids clothing, often brand new (I guess kids grow out of their clothes before they can wear them and they get donated) and you will pay less than $5 a piece. I bought some never-been-worn designer toddler jeans yesterday for $4 and an equally new Gap top for $3. Savers on Sydney Rd Brunswick is probably the closest to the CBD.

Reply to: Shopping for kids
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted