We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Help on farmstay, lodgings at Mt Buller and Melbourne

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore River...
Need Help on farmstay, lodgings at Mt Buller and Melbourne

Really appreciate all help with our itnerary.

This is our 1st family trip to Melbourne with 2 girls age 3 & 4 during end June.

Our plan is upon touching down at Melbourne, we will make our way for a 2 nights farmstay, followed by 2 nights stay at Mt Buller and final 3 nights stay at Melbourne.

We need help on recommendation on Farms which are near to Mt Buller or along the way from Tullamarine airport to Mt Buller. We would love to visit farm that has more animals or activities for kids to engage.

At Mt Buller, is there any recommendation for Kid's Friendly hotel or apartment stays?

We do not intend to enrol kids for ski class but to play on snow and other activities (not sure what else can be done as we do not experience snow in our own country).

Is it too long to stay in the Mt Buller if we do not sign up for ski courses?

In Melbourne city, we do not intend to drive.

Are there any recommendations for kids friendly hotel/apartments or Good location hotels and apartments?

Thanks for advice in advance.

7 replies to this topic
Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 47
1. Re: Need Help on farmstay, lodgings at Mt Buller and Melbourne

I can't help with farm stay ideas but a few thoughts on your other plans:

Mt Buller is a ski resort so if you don't plan on skiing I'm not sure what you would do for three days. If you just want some 'snow play' and tobogganing I would recommend areas like Lake Mountain, Mt Donna Buang or even Mt Stirling. All of these are closer to Melbourne and you could just go for a day trip.

Another day trip worth considering is Healesville Sanctuary. The kids will love interacting with the wallabies and kangaroos and the birds show is pretty good too.

It's hard to recommend accomodation options without knowing your budget.

Have a look at www.wotif.com and see if anything appeals. Most people stay around Southbank or the city as it is very convenient.

You would probably need a car for getting to the snow and Healesville. Perhaps consider spending a night or two in the area. The township of Healseville is close to both. It's a popular holiday destination and the area has a wide variety of accomodation options. Again, look on the wotif site.

Keep an eye on the snow reports. June is still early in the season, which only starts on the first weekend of June. If it's a poor season, there may only be man made snow in the ski slopes.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 38
2. Re: Need Help on farmstay, lodgings at Mt Buller and Melbourne

This website should assist - visitvictoria.com/Regions/…Farm-stays

Mansfield is the main town that is at the bottom of Mt Buller. Many people stay at the bottom of the mountain (cheaper) & then take the public bus up to the mountain for the day.

As emel has noted, please advise if you are only planning on seeing and playing in snow as Lake Mountain is a closer moutain (About 1.5 hours drive Vs 3 hours approx) however, Lake Mountain is a much smaller mountain and so it may not get much snow. Unfortunately nature rules and no one knows what this years snow season will be like.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 278
3. Re: Need Help on farmstay, lodgings at Mt Buller and Melbourne

Have to say I thoroughly agree with Emel 49. With kids so young, all you'd really want to do is toboggan and play in the snow. The end of June there should be plenty of 'play snow' around. Healesville Sanctuary is a great day out for seeing Australian native animals. I suggest you find yourself accommodation in Melbourne and take a day trips. That way you don't have to pack and unpack. There are plenty of bus lines that take day trips to Mt Buller. They usually leave Melbourne about 6am and take you right into the Mt Buller village. They leave Mt Buller about 3pm, arriving back in Melbourne at 6-6.30pm. You could also do away trip to Healesville Sanctuary. Another idea the kids would love is the fairy penguins at Phiilip Island. Again there are plenty of operators who do trips from Melbourne and combine it with other attractions on Phillip Island.

Melbourne
reviews: 16
4. Re: Need Help on farmstay, lodgings at Mt Buller and Melbourne

In regards to Farm Stay I would recommend http://www.fawcettcottage.com.au/

Very friendly hosts and the kids will love collecting the eggs each morning and feeding the animals.

If you decide to only go to Lake Mountain, it will be perfect location. It is also ideally located if you go to Healsville Sanctuary.

Alexandra is about 150km from Airport, probably about 2hrs drive.

Edited: 8:35 pm, March 16, 2014
Singapore River...
5. Re: Need Help on farmstay, lodgings at Mt Buller and Melbourne

Thank you all for your reply.

I agree that we will be playing toboggan and snow with my kids.

I did not realise that by winter time, so many alternative places will have snow or even man-made snow.

Would like to find out if all mountains provide rental of tobogaan?

I will re-explore my route.

However, I have another question.

Is it better to stay in service apartments or hotels with 2 young kids in melbourne city.

My budget per night is AUD$120.

Not sure if this is a reasonable budget for a convenient location in melbourne city.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 75
6. Re: Need Help on farmstay, lodgings at Mt Buller and Melbourne

Hello

Both Mt Buller and Lake Mountain hire toboggans for kids. I would recommend Lake Mountain for your snow experince though as it is cheaper and closer to Melbourne. It is built primarily for snow play and not downhill skiing so there are many family friendly options there.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 75
7. Re: Need Help on farmstay, lodgings at Mt Buller and Melbourne

Hello

Both Mt Buller and Lake Mountain hire toboggans for kids. I would recommend Lake Mountain for your snow experince though as it is cheaper and closer to Melbourne. It is built primarily for snow play and not downhill skiing so there are many family friendly options there.

Reply to: Need Help on farmstay, lodgings at Mt Buller and Melbourne
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted