We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Location help

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
reviews: 47
Location help

Hi there. We are just coming to the end of a 3 week holiday before flying back to the UK. We have just spent 3 nights in pretty grotty motels on the GOR. We are heading back on tues to spend our last 3 days in the city. Any suggestions on somewhere nice and in a good location for a first visit? Outside deck would be nice to hopefully enjoy the sun. We also have a car hire to return to any Thrifty location so any help on that would also be good. The Langham have some ok prices or would we be better in St Kilda? Many thanks.

11 replies to this topic
Geelong, Australia
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
reviews: 11
1. Re: Location help

Which motels did you stay at on the GOR? have you posted a review of these grotty motels on the forum? Can you be more specific, I'm sure fellow travellers who look at the forum would be interested in your comments. Feed back regardless whether it is good bad or indifferent is always welcome.

2. Re: Location help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 5:54 am, March 02, 2014

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
reviews: 45
3. Re: Location help

In a city where outdoor deck/sun decks aren't a huge item, Langham would be one of the best if not the best, closely followed by Crown - but the Crown is an atrium pool.

At St Kilda, Novotel would be the puck of the bunch for outdoor deck.

UK
4. Re: Location help

Many thanks to you all.

As we are still on holiday i have not had the time to post any reviews yet.

The motels were booked in advance and chosen cafefully from TA, its just they are very, very basic!! We did stay in an amazing Quest on the Mornington Peninsula, the room was beautiful.

Does anyone know if there is a Thrifty car hire close to the area the Langham is in? I will also check out the other suggestions. Thanks again.

Canberra, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
reviews: 2
5. Re: Location help

I'd like to know too.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 38
6. Re: Location help

Another vote for the Langham. Pls be advised that the Novotel St Kilda have very small rooms and even smaller hallways. It will not do not suit anyone who does not like confined places.

Geelong, Australia
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
reviews: 11
7. Re: Location help

The word "grotty" is a strong term that inferred that despite research on TA's forum you apparently ended up with very inferior and sub standard accommodation whilst staying at various towns on the GOR.

Tourism on the GOR contributes significantly to the states economy and is a major employer in the region. Constructive criticism is most welcome and I've got no doubt that TA is read by most accommodation providers especially along the GOR.

Any operator worth their salt would take any feed back on board to determine what deficiencies there were with their business as a way of improving their facilities and identifying any shortfalls in respect to customer service.

TA is a tool that most travellers use when planning a trip good reviews and feedback mean repeat business whilst bad reviews turn travellers away and highlights problems with the business that need correction.

I've got no doubt we would be interested in your reviews of the accommodation you had whilst staying in our region.

Edited: 3:36 am, March 03, 2014
UK
8. Re: Location help

Thanks everone for your help- we got a great rate so decided on the langham.

I didnt mean to upset anyone when I said grotty, its a work we use a lot! After staying in the Hyatt Regency in Hong Kong and the Four Seasons in Sydney, the motels we chose on the GOR have been very basic (similar to yourh hostels but with ensuite). I dont want to offend the owners but do a review on our return.

Ps Famrick, we loved the bollard walk in Geelong!!

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 167
9. Re: Location help

Isn't the Novotel overlooking the beach at St Kilda. Up on the hill overlooking the sea and beach.

novotel.com/gb/…index.shtml

tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g255360-d257…

Canberra, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
reviews: 2
10. Re: Location help

Not upset, but as someone hoping to make a return visit to the region info about what was good, bad, disappointing, is always welcome. Just confused though, I don't understand 'grotty' and 'basic' to have the same meaning at all, one implies *avoid* while the other simply depends on what it is a person is looking for. Sometimes word usage by people from different places needs clarification....

Reply to: Location help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted