We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus/Train/ or Air to Adelaide from Melbourne for seniors??

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario, Canada
reviews: 1
Bus/Train/ or Air to Adelaide from Melbourne for seniors??

We are seniors in our late sixties travelling to Australia from Canada for our first visit in May '14. We would like to travel from Melbourne to Adelaide via the Great Ocean Road. Are there any tours that would give us an overview of the topography and sights without a lot of rigorous activity? We are not interested in camping which several tours suggest. What about a train journey? Or should we just opt for a day trip on the Great Ocean Road while in Melbourne and fly to Adelaide? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

15 replies to this topic
Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 41
11. Re: Bus/Train/ or Air to Adelaide from Melbourne for seniors??

Having done it in reverses my times, I can assure you it will take about 5 minutes to get the bag of it. Just remember to keep your passenger in the gutter. :-))

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 6
12. Re: Bus/Train/ or Air to Adelaide from Melbourne for seniors??

Ha ha there are many Aussie drivers who like to drive in the righthand lane (road hogs). There are signs along the GOR to remind you which side to drive on. The only road I have ever seen them. The first hour of your drive to the GOR is multi lane freeway.

australia
reviews: 67
13. Re: Bus/Train/ or Air to Adelaide from Melbourne for seniors??

I suggest you have a look a this option, may be the best of all

travelaust.com.au/adventure/vic/mel009.html

you dont need to drive, get to see the scenery without any worries and a bit more as well email them for any questions you have, have used them for overseas travellers

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 18
14. Re: Bus/Train/ or Air to Adelaide from Melbourne for seniors??

I am not sure if the home2rio link/ suggestion would suit as it appears that they are just normal public buses? If this is the case, they definitely would not stop off at the major attractions nor would they even have any toilets for your convenience. Given your hesitation not to drive (which I fully appreciate), I second the option of bus tour one way and then train back into Melbourne. Have a safe trip.

Adelaide, South...
15. Re: Bus/Train/ or Air to Adelaide from Melbourne for seniors??

Fly it.Buses and Trains take an eternity

Reply to: Bus/Train/ or Air to Adelaide from Melbourne for seniors??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted