We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self-Drive Itinerary @ Melbourne (17/4-26/4)

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Johor Bahru...
reviews: 3
Self-Drive Itinerary @ Melbourne (17/4-26/4)

Hello,

I'm visiting Melbourne on 17/4 - 26/4/14 (4 adults + 1kid), anyone can help me for my itinerary?

My initially plan as below:

Day 1 (17/4 – Thursday) Sg - Melbourne

Arrive morning, check in accommodation. Free & Easy around Melbourne city

Day 2 (18/4 – Friday) Melbourne – Dandenong – Phillip Island

Pick up car & drive to Belgrave for Puffing Billy ride, alighted at Lakeside Station, spend an hour @ Emerald Lake Park & return to Belgrave station.

Leave for Koala Sanctuary. Spend some time here walking the board walks.

Late afternoon, go to Nobbies. Evening go to Penguin Parade @ 5:30pm.

Overnight : Phillip Island

Day 4 – 20/4 (Sunday) Philip Island – Mornington Peninsula

After breakfast, visit Panny’s Phillip Island Chocolate Factory

At dusk, you can also join a guided nocturnal tour at Moonlit Sanctuary to view up close unique Australian wildlife.

Overnight : Mornington Peninsula -

Day 5 – 21/4 (Monday) Mornington Peninsular – Apollo Bay

This morning take the passenger car ferry from Sorrento to Queenscliff. Drive along The Great Ocean Road, Otway Lighthouse, Airey’s Inlet, Lorne & Apollo Bay.

Overnight : Apollo Bay

Day 6 – 22/4 (Tuesday) Apollo Bay – Twelve Apostles – Port Campbell

Visit Otway National Park & drive to Port Campbell National Park for Twelve Apostles, Loch Ard Gorge, the Arch, the Blowhole and London Bridge.

STAY: Port Campbell

Day 7 – 23/4 (Wednesday)

Day 8 – 24/4 (Thursday)

Day 9 – 25/4 (Friday)

Day 10 – 26/4 (Saturday) Melbourne - Singapore

- Any recommended plan/places to visit on Day 7 - 9?

- As this is the 1st time we are self driving, please help me on the itinerary

Edited: 3:29 am, December 12, 2013
South Coast, St...
Destination Expert
for Canberra
reviews: 2
1. Re: Self-Drive Itinerary @ Melbourne (17/4-26/4)

I waas going to say how lovely that you have done some research and thought about what you want to do. And then I saw >>At dusk, you can also join a guided nocturnal tour at Moonlit Sanctuary to view up close unique Australian wildlife.<< Have you copied and pasted this itinerary from somewhere?

Johor Bahru...
2. Re: Self-Drive Itinerary @ Melbourne (17/4-26/4)

Oops, sorry, supposed to delete it as we are self driving trip, Haha

South Coast, St...
Destination Expert
for Canberra
3. Re: Self-Drive Itinerary @ Melbourne (17/4-26/4)

So is this like a bus tour that you have used to base your self-drive itinerary on?

That's great that you have found something to use as a starting point but the follow-up is to research the details and think about what you want to do. I'd probably increase time on the GOR and then return via the Grampians and/or Ballarat, but that's me, I can't emphasise enough that what other people have done or suggest is just ideas for you to consider. Btw I just noticed >>Evening go to Penguin Parade @ 5:30pm.<< Is that the right time, cos it varies?

Johor Bahru...
4. Re: Self-Drive Itinerary @ Melbourne (17/4-26/4)

Thanks for the ideas, wanna add on Grampians n Ballarat too. Btw, 5:30pm will be my set off time to Penguin Parade: )

South Coast, St...
Destination Expert
for Canberra
5. Re: Self-Drive Itinerary @ Melbourne (17/4-26/4)

>>Thanks for the ideas, wanna add on Grampians n Ballarat too.<<

Not my idea. I'm surprised you didn't already come across those already. The rest of your planning seems so thorough. In fact I'm almost wishing now I hadn't mentioned them. Still traumatised by the time I posted my itinerary for Tassie just to give someone an idea of places and distances since their trip would be about the same duration, it was only a starting point for discussion and planning, and they replied *we'll do exactly that, thanks*. Argh! No, not exactly that! It's just the basis for further discussion.

So, FWIW, I reckon of the two, Ballarat is the more generally popular and likely to have some interest for a greater length of time for a wider range of people.

The Grampians I reckon is a bit 'seen there done that, are we really staying the night, my feet hurt'. On the other hand for myself personally we just drove through and it really wasn't long enough, it's our sort of place and on a future trip I'd allow more time. In fact I think someone posted recently that it's not worth driving through, you really do need to stay for a while to do it justice, or words to that effect. I would agree with that.

But it's always a juggling act when you have limited time for a trip isn't it :-)

So it's important to decide what interests you most and allow time to enjoy it. Btw you haven't really said what your interests and priorities are, and age/fitness levels? (If you're bringing 60yo grandparents and 1yo kid and aren't into bushwalking I'd skip the Grampians, on the other hand if you're bringing a couple of energetic 80yo's and a bub who loves riding in a child carrier backpack looking at nature it might be perfect for you. So the whole interests/age/fitness thing is really relevant to what we should suggest.)

>>Btw, 5:30pm will be my set off time to Penguin Parade: )<<

For 6pm?

Edited: 7:50 pm, December 12, 2013
Johor Bahru...
6. Re: Self-Drive Itinerary @ Melbourne (17/4-26/4)

Hi MacKnee, thanks for the great reply. Oppps I'd missed out I'll be travelling with 60+yrs old parents & 3yrs old girl, do you think we shall drive thru for Grampians?

>>Btw, 5:30pm will be my set off time to Penguin Parade: )<<

For 6pm? Yup :P

South Coast, St...
Destination Expert
for Canberra
7. Re: Self-Drive Itinerary @ Melbourne (17/4-26/4)

>>Hi MacKnee, thanks for the great reply. Oppps I'd missed out I'll be travelling with 60+yrs old parents & 3yrs old girl, do you think we shall drive thru for Grampians?<<

Okay, trying to be more clear :-) That's YOUR job to decide. Have you had a look at what there is, have you mapped out a possible route and figured out how much time you need for the drive and how much time you can allow for looking around, have you thought about and discussed with the others whether it sounds appealing to you? The Victorian tourism people have a great website with sections for the various regions. www.visitvictoria.com/Regions/Grampians.aspx

As I said, we more or less drove through. By that I mean we did not stop for the night in the area. We got out and had a short look around. So I have certainly not explored the place well and I am not in a position to give detailed advice about the Grampians at all.

But just for starters the sorts of things I'd be thinking about when considering a national park (speaking generally, NOT specifically about the Grampians) are . . would the 60yo's feel daunted if there's some stairs to climb or uphill and downhill walking and would it be nervewracking or arduous walking with the 3yo in mountainous bushland? And even simply will you be packing comfortable flat walking shoes? I've seen tourists hobbling around walking tracks in totally unsuitable footwear, obviously unprepared for the destination. I'll admit I did it myself once, I can't remember how I did but there I was in mid-heeled sandals getting along very slowly and uncomfortably on the type of track it was. Not that all tracks are unsuitable for mid-heeled sandals. I've been on short walks to scenic lookouts that are completely suitable for any footwear, prams, wheelchairs, anything. Information on length and duration and difficulty of the various walks should be available online and certainly from national parks visitors centres.

Same goes for Ballarat about having a look at what there is and deciding if it's right for you. "Ballarat is the more generally popular and likely to have some interest for a greater length of time for a wider range of people" is just an opinion, I reckon Ballarat is a good suggestion but it's a suggestion, it still behooves you to research it for yourself, you wouldn't jut turn up because a stranger online told you to?

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 157
8. Re: Self-Drive Itinerary @ Melbourne (17/4-26/4)

I saw pretty much this exact same itinerary in a previous post a few weeks/months ago. Odd.

South Coast, St...
Destination Expert
for Canberra
9. Re: Self-Drive Itinerary @ Melbourne (17/4-26/4)

Or you could add another day to the GOR and stay in Warrnambool or Port Fairy, or, well, all sorts of possibilities really.

Btw, where DID you get the itinerary?

10. Re: Self-Drive Itinerary @ Melbourne (17/4-26/4)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, December 15, 2014