We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Heli Experience Great Ocean Road tour good?

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Thunder Bay, Ontario
Level Contributor
249 posts
76 reviews
Is Heli Experience Great Ocean Road tour good?

Hello!

I'm considering splurging on this helicopter tour of the Great Ocean road from Melbourne. It is expensive, but sounds like it would be worth it. Has anyone done this tour from Melbourne? The company website leaves much to be desired. I think Viator.com is selling the same one, but I'd rather not book through a middle man. Is this company reputable?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you!

God Bless,

Arlette

Docklands Melbourne
Level Contributor
144 posts
27 reviews
1. Re: Is Heli Experience Great Ocean Road tour good?

Absolutely sensational way to see the GOR

Thunder Bay, Ontario
Level Contributor
249 posts
76 reviews
2. Re: Is Heli Experience Great Ocean Road tour good?

Thanks Doc, but do you know of this company inparticular? Do you know of any others? Thank you! Arlette

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
190 reviews
3. Re: Is Heli Experience Great Ocean Road tour good?

Ring up the helicopter company and make sure there will be flights available on the day, ask them if they will give you a discount if you dont book through a third party, then pay direct on the day if you are self-touring. Or if you're doing a coach tour, book on the day with the tour guide, that way the tour guide gets the commission rather than the big tour company.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
648 posts
15 reviews
4. Re: Is Heli Experience Great Ocean Road tour good?

Are you intending to fly by helicopter all the way from Melbourne city. There are flights that you can take at the twelve apostles or from airports closer to the coast.

Edited: 5:30 pm, November 15, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
648 posts
15 reviews
5. Re: Is Heli Experience Great Ocean Road tour good?

Are you intending to fly by helicopter all the way from Melbourne city. There are flights that you can take at the twelve apostles or from airports closer to the coast.

Edited: 5:30 pm, November 15, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
11,745 posts
29 reviews
6. Re: Is Heli Experience Great Ocean Road tour good?

I have a heli pad directly under my building so I watch the tourist choppers taking off and landing every day. There are several well know companies here - this is the other one I see regularly flying past - http://heliadventures.net.au - they also do a GOR tour.

Thunder Bay, Ontario
Level Contributor
249 posts
76 reviews
7. Re: Is Heli Experience Great Ocean Road tour good?

Thanks for the advice robol!

Thunder Bay, Ontario
Level Contributor
249 posts
76 reviews
8. Re: Is Heli Experience Great Ocean Road tour good?

Hello Graeme,

Yes, my intention was to fly straight from Melbourne, basically because we have only one day to do it, and we'll get to see some of Melbourne from the air. We don't have a vehicle either and don't want to spend hours on a bus. I did read about some of the drive then fly tours.

Thanks,

Arlette

Thunder Bay, Ontario
Level Contributor
249 posts
76 reviews
9. Re: Is Heli Experience Great Ocean Road tour good?

Thanks perfectlyperth,

That was very helpful. I did check their website and send an enquiry about the tour. I got an immediate automated response which is good. The other company hasn't replied at all which doesn't make me confident in them, so we'll see. I find it odd though that there are no reviews of any of the helicopter tours or companies on Trip Advisor. If the tour is so good, why are there no reviews?? TA is such a big part of my trip planning, not finding something here is disconcerting. lol

Thanks again!

God Bless,

Arlette

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
11,745 posts
29 reviews
10. Re: Is Heli Experience Great Ocean Road tour good?

TA reviewing is 1000% reliant on human beings a) being aware of TA's existance, and b) having the time and inclination to be bothered writing and submitting a review. I have been a member for many years but I really only do a review when I can be bothered, and definitely not on every single thing I experienced on a trip.

I can count on one hand the number of my many friends around the world who have even heard of TA !

I will base my opinion of the helitours solely on the fact that I watch them take off and land every few minutes day and night (and wish I was on board) and always with a full load and a queue waiting to board (in fact one is taking off right now as I type this). So I assume from this that they are fully booked and constantly busy - which would generally mean they must have a decent reputation.

I imagine the passengers are just not particularly TA kind of people.