We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe Twin Share Accommodation During the Australian Open

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toowoomba...
reviews: 6
Safe Twin Share Accommodation During the Australian Open

Hi, Just wondering if anyone can help with some advice. My mother and I are travelling to Melbourne for the first time for three nights in January (happens to coincide with Australian Open which unfortunately makes accommodation expensive and somewhat scarce). We require a twin share studio or ideally a twin share one bedroom apartment with two separate beds. We wish to stay in the CBD in close walking distance to some of the major attractions and public transport. We also wish to stay in a part of town that is considered reasonably safe as we may come and go (from dinner etc) in the evening. Our budget is under $350/night which limits things considerably at that time of year unfortunately:( I didn't realise we'd chosen Aus Open weekend to travel!). As I am unfamiliar with Melbourne, can anyone advise re best area to stay (or avoid). We had considered Oaks on Market, but I gather this is in the middle of office buildings and perhaps a bit scarey/lonely at night? Had also considered Mantra on Little Bourke but wasn't sure if this was a dodgey area? I had read that Kings Road could be questionable. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Twin rooms are harder to find than I had realised. Many hotels offer one bed per room - full stop. Many thanks in anticipation of any suggestions.

11 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 29
1. Re: Safe Twin Share Accommodation During the Australian Open

Personally I have never found a hotel that doesnt do twin beds. All you do is ask them. The majority of queen sized beds are two beds zipped together anyway.

King St is the only place I would avoid.

You can also look at Southbank hotels and serviced apartments - the whole area is nice to walk around with promenades along the river etc and then just cross a bridge into the CBD.

Mount Isa, Australia
reviews: 141
2. Re: Safe Twin Share Accommodation During the Australian Open

It's King Street, not Kings Road. I agree that you should not stay there though because its where all he night clubs are.

Little Bourke Street is fine and not dodgy at all. I am not sure what would have given you this idea! The Oaks on Collins Street is also good. It's a safe area, has several tram lines passing by it and is well lit at night. It's also far more public transport accessible than Little Bourke Street, which no trams run down. However, it is surrounded by more businesses than shops.

Southbank has lots of good options, the Travel Lodge would be my first suggestion and then on City Road there are a few apartment style hotels. You may also want to try the Quest on Bourke Street or the Quest on Flinders Lane.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
reviews: 36
3. Re: Safe Twin Share Accommodation During the Australian Open

Just a little question.

Is that $350/night all expenses or just accommodation?

Toowoomba...
4. Re: Safe Twin Share Accommodation During the Australian Open

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I will certainly be checking them out. Good to know Little Bourke is ok. It was just hard to know when you're not familiar with a city. There also is a few on Flinders st etc but some friends had suggested we stick to Collins St for convenience. I think Flinders looks ok on the map - is public transport etc reasonable there? Just might give us a few more options. I will also check out Southbank. I gather you can catch transport easily enough over to the CBD? (Not sure if my mum would be up to a lot of walking to and fro each day). To clarify, budget is $350/night for our accommodation for the two of us, however of course cheaper is better (within reason, we still want something nice for our girls weekend). I was hoping we'd get away with $200-250 but with the Tennis on everything is much more expensive than usual of course. Silly me for not checking event dates first!

Mount Isa, Australia
reviews: 141
5. Re: Safe Twin Share Accommodation During the Australian Open

Depending on where you stay in Southbank, the walking may be an issue. There are trams that go down St Kilda Road that you could use, but if you are worried about a 5-10 minute walk from Southbank to Flinders Street, then you may be better off in the CBD.

With the greatest respect, stop listening to whoever is giving you accommodation advice. Flinders Street is perfectly fine. It has trams that run along it, as well as the free city circle tram. It also has Flinders Street train Station, which is our largest and main train station. On the corners of Spencer Street, Elizabeth Street, Swanston Street and Spring Street you also have trams that run in the other direction so in terms of public transport, Flinders Street is the place to be!

As for convenience, Flinders Street is less than a 5 minute walk to Collins Street. As the streets run Flinders, Flinders Lane and Collins Street. It is no less convenient that Collins Street and with so much public transport available, I'd say its actually more convenient. There are plenty of places to stay along there, you'll have to do the research with the tennis being on though.

If you haven't used it already www.wotif.com.au is a great place to find accommodation deals and compare hotels. Just put in your dates and it will tell you what’s available and for how much.

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 42
6. Re: Safe Twin Share Accommodation During the Australian Open

To put your mind at ease, I would say that in Melbourne anywhere is safe before midnight as long as you take the normal, sensible precautions that you would in any city.

The only place I would steer clear of is the nightclub area (round King St) and even that has such a heavy security, CCTV and police presence these days that for two people just walking through, it's perfectly safe.

For accommodation, have a look at the Melbourne Central YHA. You can get a double room with a private bathroom for under $150 a night. Their security is second to none as you need a swipe card to get into the building. Don't be put off by the name - their guests are of all ages. https://www3.yha.com.au/hostels/bookings/…

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 87
7. Re: Safe Twin Share Accommodation During the Australian Open

I have stayed a few times at oaks on market with my teenage son so definitely twin beds. The studio apartments have a tiny kitchen should you wish to make your own breakfast etc.

It is extremely safe and well lit and easy to get around. We have walked to Chinatown, south bank And one night even out to lygon St. We have also stayed there during the tennis and had no issues getting back and forwards along the river promenade. Absolutely recommend.

Not sure where you got the idea it was unsafe but irrespective of which City it is in I wouldn't be walking around at 2am in the morning on my own.

Edited: 7:40 pm, November 04, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
reviews: 36
8. Re: Safe Twin Share Accommodation During the Australian Open

For that budget, you can something really nice if you get in early. And likewise you can find something of brilliant value also - again if you book early.

Toowoomba...
9. Re: Safe Twin Share Accommodation During the Australian Open

Thanks again everyone. I really appreciate you sharing your thoughts and knowledge. I feel a lot more confident in making a decision now that I've received your input. Cheers!

creswick, victoria...
10. Re: Safe Twin Share Accommodation During the Australian Open

Have a look at Ibis Syles in Little Collins Street, was called the Victoria Hotel before recent refurb and rebadge. Its close to Swanston/Bourke Streets and at the tennis centre side of the CBD also.

Reply to: Safe Twin Share Accommodation During the Australian Open
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted