We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
bristol uk
reviews: 7
Where to stay

Hi i need some advice on where to stay in Melbourne,first time visit in Febuary

like to be near major attractions not to far from the beach if that's possible.we have 3 days befor moving on,any advice on best area,s also any help with Hotels 4 star thanx

5 replies to this topic
South Australia
reviews: 12
1. Re: Where to stay

"Not far from the beach", then St Kilda a tram ride away from the CBD, at Flinders Street you can use the free circular tram to visit places of interest ie: Victoria Market.

www.visitmelbourne.com

Public transport www.ptv.victoria.gov.au

Accommodation www.venere.com

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 41
2. Re: Where to stay

In February I'd look at St Kilda, South Melbourne or Port Melbourne if you want to be near the beach. Just a short tram ride to the city.

The reason I would suggest staying near the beach and taking a tram to the city is because it can be horribly hot in February and when it is, it's significantly cooler by the water.

Taking an evening stroll along the beach or an early morning walk/swim is also a great way to start or finish a day if sightseeing.

Have a look at www.wotif.com or www.booking.com or any of the other search engines and filter by St Kilda, South Melbourne, Port Melbourne or even Elwood.

Use the map function to locate accommodation near the Bay.

bristol uk
reviews: 7
3. Re: Where to stay

Thanks for the info I will look at Hotels at st Kilda.

Can you advise me on how many days I will need to see Melbourne with a few hours on the beach,we have a total of 12 days in Australia, we fly into Mel and out of Sydney,what about getting to Sydney is it worth the drive or better to fly.

also thought about driving to Adelaide then flying to Sydney any advice please cant make up are minds what to do

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
reviews: 37
4. Re: Where to stay

If you are looking at Melbourne only, then I think 3 days is plenty. But if you are thinking of travelling out of Melbourne, such as the Great Ocean Road, then you will need to add a couple of days on.

Definately fly to Sydney. Driving direct is a 10 hour drive, where as you can spend that extra day looking around. Besides, February is not school holidays and flights will be plentiful and cheaper than hiring & driving a car.

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 41
5. Re: Where to stay

Sign up to the various airlines newsletters (Qantas, Virgin and Jetstar). They often have sales in February.

Also check out Tiger. You can get a flight between SYD and MEL for well under $100 if you book ahead.

Reply to: Where to stay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted