We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do between Melbourne and Grampians

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cleveland, Ohio
reviews: 10
Things to do between Melbourne and Grampians

I will be driving between Melbourne and Grampains, with a day or two to fill. I have seen recommendations for Ballarat and Sovereign Hill, but are there any other things I should not miss along the way? Was thinking of swinging up towards Daylesford, if it is worthwhile. But I don't know what will be worth it.

Any recommendations?

10 replies to this topic
Mount Isa, Australia
reviews: 141
1. Re: Things to do between Melbourne and Grampians

Ballarat and Sovereign Hill is a good place to stop and break up your drive.

If you are interested in history or would like to learn about a very import piece of Australia's history, I highly recommend the Blood on the Southern Cross show at Sovereign Hill at night.

The next day you can detour to Daylesford and Hepburn Springs. This area is well known for its day spas, weekend retreats, one off shops and galleries and amazing food.'

Not sure what you are doing in the Grampians but you will be in Pyrenees wine country. There are some absolute amazing wineries in this region and if you get a chance I highly recommend you visit them, especially Blue Pyrenees, Great Western, Seppelt, Red Hill aka Sally's Paddock and Hall's Gap.

Cleveland, Ohio
2. Re: Things to do between Melbourne and Grampians

That is great information, I have added all these places to my map. Thank you.

Are there any places of interest between Grampians and Adelaide as I continue west?

Canberra, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
reviews: 2
3. Re: Things to do between Melbourne and Grampians

I can't remember the exact route after all these years but my big south-east trip included the Grampians (didn't stop overnight, saw very little, stupid), Ballarat which Ktsnowowl mentioned (loved Sovereign Hill), Great Ocean Road (been back for a better look since), Naracoorte (great caves), Mount Gambier (Blue Lake). And there's more, I'd love to go back and do that area again and see parts I missed. How long do you have overall?

Cleveland, Ohio
4. Re: Things to do between Melbourne and Grampians

Around 4 days...

Canberra, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
reviews: 2
5. Re: Things to do between Melbourne and Grampians

Sorry, is that after you leave the Grampians? You said you have "a day or two to fill" to the Grampians.

Mount Isa, Australia
reviews: 141
6. Re: Things to do between Melbourne and Grampians

Mount Gambier is the only place that comes to mind, but Í haven't been that way for many years now (never make it past the wineries!) so there may be other things of note.

Cleveland, Ohio
7. Re: Things to do between Melbourne and Grampians

I have 2 days between Melbourne and Grampians, and 2 more days on the way to Adelaide. Thanks for all the great suggestions.

Melbourne, Australia
8. Re: Things to do between Melbourne and Grampians

I would recommend a mineral spa at Hepburn Springs; the underground mine tour at Sovereign Hill, Ballarat; a visit to the Gum San Chinese Heritage Centre in Ararat on the way to the Grampians. On the way to Adelaide, a detour north to Mildura and the Murray River or south to Warrnambool, Robe and the Coorong would be worthwhile, depending on your preferences.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 8
9. Re: Things to do between Melbourne and Grampians

To see the best of the Grampians you need to do bush walking and that takes a lot of time so dont under estimate this area, and it is a big area with lots to see. Research on the web before your trip, and google map your travel times.

Melbourne...
reviews: 28
10. Re: Things to do between Melbourne and Grampians

Yes the Grampians are huge. Most people think the central area(wonderlands) around Halls Gap is it. This is a tiny % of the park. There are many aboriginal cave painting, waterfalls and stunning cliffs to view. Not to mention the koalas and other wild life. If you go to the Grampians "stop and smell the roses" do some walks taste some wine in the Avoca grampians area and get out into the bush. The wonderlands around Halls gap are at least a full day to see just by themselves. Northern gramps around flat rock and summerday valley are stunning, the olive grove and farm is worth a visit there. Go to the national park web site and see.

Reply to: Things to do between Melbourne and Grampians
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted