We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas day lunch in Melbourne

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Avoca Beach...
reviews: 2
Christmas day lunch in Melbourne

Hello can anyone recommend somewhere good to eat Christmas day lunch in Melbourne? We want somewhere with quality food, preferably traditional Christmas dishes and with a good atmosphere but we don't want to break the bank. Its our first Christmas in Australia and will be our first time ever in Melbourne! Really looking forward to it and we would be grateful for any suggestions.

Please don't direct to other threads as I've read them all and I'm looking for up to date suggestions. Thank you!

10 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 29
1. Re: Christmas day lunch in Melbourne

Hmm the other 3 active threads are all specifically relating to this coming Christmas so I am not sure how much more up to date we locals can be.

Re "traditional" - do you mean traditional Aussie ? or traditional "insert other country" ?

Mount Isa, Australia
reviews: 141
2. Re: Christmas day lunch in Melbourne

I agree with above, I know that I've personally posted many suggestions for 2013 only in the last month.

Can you be a bit more specific re budget. Given its Christmas Day anything half decent will be more expensive than usual unless you want fast food or Chinese in China Town, which you've said you don't.

Also have you checked with your hotel to see what they are offering?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 29
3. Re: Christmas day lunch in Melbourne

Just adding this as I spotted an ad in my local inner city newsletter. I dont personally know the venue so I cant comment on quality.

Bayview Eden Hotel, 6 Queens Road, Melbourne, 03 9250 2222

Parkside Ballroom - traditional christmas day buffet including drinks: $115 pp, discounts for children.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
reviews: 12
4. Re: Christmas day lunch in Melbourne

And the Vibe Savoy also has a Christmas meal, but not sure of details. Caught up with a friend staying there last week & noticed the sign up.

Avoca Beach...
reviews: 2
5. Re: Christmas day lunch in Melbourne

Thank you perfectlyPerth and Ellenwillow. I'll check those places out. By traditional I mean, traditional Aussie/English. I'm English and my Aussie friends have told me an Aussie Christmas lunch is pretty much the same. We're happy to have few differences of course but not wanting Chinese/Indian/Italian cuisine on Christmas day. We'll be after a turkey roast if possible. price wise 100-130 would be good. Thanks for all suggestions. :-)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
reviews: 36
6. Re: Christmas day lunch in Melbourne

>>>Aussie friends have told me an Aussie Christmas lunch is pretty much the same<<<

Whilst there will be significant similarities, you may also notice that due to our weather and local produce, seafood is often featured in the entree, or in some form on buffets.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
7. Re: Christmas day lunch in Melbourne

This is just a novelty idea.

zoo.org.au/sites/…Christmas-Day-Packages.pdf

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 42
8. Re: Christmas day lunch in Melbourne

I never could work out why anyone would want to sit down to a hot, heavy 4 course 'winter' meal in the middle of an Australian summer where the outside temperature could be in the 40s.

We have some Swedish friends who turn their a/c up full bore the day before so that they can enjoy their traditional Xmas fare and out on their Xmas sweaters :-))

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
9. Re: Christmas day lunch in Melbourne

I agree Eva.

Christmas to me screams seafood

Mount Isa, Australia
reviews: 141
10. Re: Christmas day lunch in Melbourne

Here is a brand new thread which gives an overview of places to eat

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g255100-i278-k6…

Edited: 3:46 am, November 02, 2013
Reply to: Christmas day lunch in Melbourne
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted