We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for the GOR?

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Macau
reviews: 157
Advice for the GOR?

I'm going to visit the GOR this weekend but didn't know there would be a 4 night minimum at most campgrounds. i only have a very small tent, but limited cooking equioment so I was hoping to find a campground with a communal kitchen. Any recommendations, please?

13 replies to this topic
Mount Isa, Australia
reviews: 93
1. Re: Advice for the GOR?

The GOR is pretty long. Do you have a specific place where you want to stay?

How many nights do you want to stay for in total? Do you want to stay at the same place each night and drive back to your campsite or do you want to move each night as you progress?

I'm assuming you have a car, if you do not, please also advise.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Macau
2. Re: Advice for the GOR?

Yes, I have borrowed a car. I have no idea of where I can stay, because every place I have tried so far, from the Otways, to Port Campbell, to Apollo Bay is either full or has a 4 night minimum & I only have 2 nights as I need to return the car on Monday (which is not a public holiday - hence my confusion over the 4 night minimum!).

Mount Isa, Australia
3. Re: Advice for the GOR?

Tuesday is a public holiday - it's Melbourne Cup Day. Many Melbournians take Monday off and make it a four day weekend. That will be why its a 4 day minimum.

Are you able to change when you go?

Mount Isa, Australia
4. Re: Advice for the GOR?

Ok, I’ve done a bit of searching and these are the only two places that I can actually see availability.

http://www.surfsidepark.com.au

geelon-riverview-tourist-park.vic.big4.com.au

Surfside Park is in Warrnambool and the other one is in Geelong. I have not checked if they have minimum stay, all I can see is that they at least have accommodation available. Either way you’ll need to do a bit of driving each day to see the various places.

My advice would be to delay your trip if you can.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Macau
5. Re: Advice for the GOR?

I am in Melbourne for 4 more days but the car has to be back for my friend to go to work on Monday. So I either go for 2 days over the weekend or just for the day on Tuesday. It seems like there is more than enough to do for 2 days but I am surpised there is so little accommodation.

It is a pity there are no National Parks. In NSW you can camp in nearly all the National Parks, but Parks Victoria doesn't seem as well equipped. I can't find any reference to a Department of Conservation either. In NZ they run fabulous camping grounds that you don't need to book.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 36
6. Re: Advice for the GOR?

That was very nice of Ktsnowowl to do all that searching for you! I thank her/him on your behalf.

I think you should consider basing yourself at Geelong as driving by yourself all the way to Warrnambool in one day is too long (Melb to Warrnambool is 323 km - about 4.5 hour drive)

Most tourists usually just get to Port Campbell for the 12 Apostles so this might be enough for you (with stops along all the other major seaside towns & sights of course) Melb to Port Campbell is 229 km - about a 3 hour drive.

Have you tried to see if there is camping in all the GOR towns? Or perhaps look up for Big4 caravan parks that are inland. Not sure which ones but here are some of the major seaside towns:

Aireys Inlet, Anglesea. Apollo Bay, Barwon Heads, Camperdown,Colac, Geelong, Lorne, Nelson

Ocean Grove, Point Lonsdale, Portarlington, Port Campbell, Port Fairy, Queenscliff, Torquay

Warrnambool

The problem is that you are traveling in peak time, as previously mentioned - Melb Cup weekend

Mount Isa, Australia
7. Re: Advice for the GOR?

Thanks Peter :)

The OP says in post 2 that they have looked at a lot of places. Trying to help out as they didn't take into account the public holiday

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Macau
8. Re: Advice for the GOR?

Many thanks to all DEs (and others). i'm back from a fabulous weekend (well all bar the weather!).

I took the Princes H'way to Colac, where a very helpful volunteer at the Visitor Information Centre gave me a list of camp grounds in the Otways. I checked out Johanna Beach, which looked fabulous for fair weather but was a bit too exposed so I headed on to Prinectown, where the campground was almost deserted.; after beeing really buffeted by the wind overnight there, I ended up at Blanket Bay, which was heavenly, complete with koalas overhead. Many of the people I spoke too also reported campgrounds that were not full. I even saw plenty of vacancy signs outside motels & B&Bs so I think the operators over-estimated demand.

Happy Melbourne Cup Day everybody!

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 36
9. Re: Advice for the GOR?

Hi Zhu, thanks for posting and great to hear that you found your accommodation in the end, complete with koalas. Well done :)

Any chance you still have that list of camping grounds in the Otways as I was thinking that it would be great if you could post the information for future campers. If you have time etc. Cheers, PW (not a camper but would like to be - I think I am too old and want my own bed. Sign of old age...)

Mount Isa, Australia
10. Re: Advice for the GOR?

Zhuhai, good to hear from you.

When you didn't respond I was wondering if you had abandoned the whole trip.

I'm glad you found what you were after and agree with Peter that a post of the places or a link to information would be very handy for future yes.

Reply to: Advice for the GOR?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted