We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Organic Shop & Online organic grocer

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
reviews: 1
Organic Shop & Online organic grocer

Hi guys,

I will making a trip to Melbourne & Tasmania early Dec and would like to source for locally grown organic foods. It is very hard to get hold of them back home in Singapore. Prices are steep too. I am keen on getting:

Almonds, Macadamia, Walnuts, Pecans

Currants (any other local grown organic dried fruits?)

Pumpkin, sunflower, chia seeds, white & black sesame seeds

Rolled oats (gluten-free)

Dried herbs

Cacao beans & cacao butter...

I ordered from Santos Organics when I was in Gold Coast last year (and I must say the quality & prices were exceptional!) but the shipping to Melbourne is rather pricey. So I am hoping to find a store in Melbourne which I can visit or perhaps an online grocer which ships to my Melbourne city center hotel. Any recommendations for one which offers reasonably-priced quality Australian organic foods will be much appreciated.

I understand that Queen Victoria Market has an organic section but suspect it is pricey since it is a major tourist attraction? Is the local Whole Foods worth a trip? I am not too keen on USA organic foods.

Thanks so much!

Mount Isa, Australia
reviews: 183
1. Re: Organic Shop & Online organic grocer

Try: http://www.ceresfairfood.org.au/

The Queen Vic Market may attract tourists but it aslo attracts thousands of Melbourians each week so it cannot afford to be overpriced. I personally prefer the South Melbourne Market though.

Depending on how long you are here for, you may also want to visit a farmer's market or two:

http://www.mfm.com.au/ and http://www.vicfarmersmarkets.org.au/

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 94
2. Re: Organic Shop & Online organic grocer

oats naturally contain a type of gluten called Avenin that is different to the type of gluten you find in wheat, rye, barley and triticale.

So technically Australian oats are not gluten free but consumption will entirely depend on your individual medical condition eg diagnosed as coeliac or if it is just an eating preference.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
reviews: 12
3. Re: Organic Shop & Online organic grocer

Accredited Farmers Markets area a great place to buy from the person who grew or made the food, I shop at them every Saturday morning, the location depends on which Saturday of the month it is. The food is generally grown following organic & bio-dynamic principles, but not all stall holders have gone to the expense of being certified. The stall holders come from around Victoria, & you will only be able to buy seasonal food grown locally, so you won't find Macadamia's, Pecans or Cacao products.

There is a stall holder at the markets I go to who has a great range of dried fruits & almonds, some of his fruit is dried without sulphur. I don't think he's certified organic though. Walnuts, Hazelnuts & Pistachio's are available at times too.

If you want to know which market will be best for you to visit, let me know when you will be here.

Farmhouse direct is a partnership between the Victorian Farmer's Market Association & Australia Post to deliver goods from the farmer to you. A few stallholders I buy from regularly are also on there. If you can have goods delivered to you while in Melbourne, this could be a good option. http://www.farmhousedirect.com.au/

There are a few organic grocers around, though they are expensive. Passion Foods in South Melbourne is quite close to the South Melbourne Market, so you might like to check out what they have.

Singapore
4. Re: Organic Shop & Online organic grocer

Thank you all for your recommendations. Will check them out.

Ktsnowowl,

may I ask why do you prefer the South Melbourne Market to the Queen Vic Market? I am afraid I am only in Melbourne from mon night to wed night. For the most part of my trip, I will be in Tasmania actually. I went thru the list of farmers market in Melbourne and around and notice they are mainly on the weekends :(

millsie,

Oh yes, thanks for the correction. I meant to say oats which are manufactured in a gluten-free facility, one which does not handle wheat ;)

ellenwillow,

I suspect the nearer the city center the shop is the more pricey? I am eyeing shops in North Melbourne like Naturally On HIgh and Terra Madre. But unless we decide to drive, those are not as accessible. Hoping to rely on the free trams alone and take a break from driving. Hubby would have already driven for more than a week around Tasmania before arriving back in Melbourne.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
5. Re: Organic Shop & Online organic grocer

You will be limited relying on the free tram. Myki will be cheaper than renting a car if you are only in the city or the inner suburbs & will give you more access to places you want to visit.

I shop at South Melbourne Market as I live south of the city. I haven't been to Queen Vic for years, so can't compare, but do recommend Sth Melb. There's a great Nut Shop there, Rita's, not sure if it's organic or not, but it has a HUGE selection of dried fruits as well (& dark chocolate covered cranberries). There is a health food shop there as well. Plus as I mentioned above, Passion Foods is the other side of the tram stop from the market, so it's easy to do both. Passion Foods does have a good selection even if it's a bit expensive.

Another option could be Thomas Dux grocers as they do carry a good selection of Organic food.. I know they have stores in Bridge Road Richmond & Bay St Port Melbourne, both accessible by tram.

Mount Isa, Australia
reviews: 183
6. Re: Organic Shop & Online organic grocer

The Queen Vic Market is not bad - don't get me wrong. It is closer to where I am in Melbourne, but I just prefer the South Melbourne Market because I find it easier to park there, I think it has a wider range and of course, there is the famous South Melbourne Market dim sims. YUM!

You can get public transport to the South Melbourne market, but if you only want to rely on the free city circle tram, then you'll need to catch it to the corner of Elizabeth and Latrobe Streets and then then walk down Elizabeth Street to the Queen Vic Market.

You don't stay where you are staying, but there has been an increasing number of posts lately where travellers have advised that their hotels have given them a Myki card to use for a day or two so the don't have to pay for one. Perhaps try that? Otherwise, a taxi to the market would not be very expensive.

Singapore
7. Re: Organic Shop & Online organic grocer

Thank you all! Great suggestions :)

Singapore
8. Re: Organic Shop & Online organic grocer

Ktsnowowl,

I finally purchased most of my stuff from Ceres Fair Foods and I must say the whole order went really well. Excellent customer service! Would definitely recommend anyone interested in organic groceries to shop with them :)

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 181
9. Re: Organic Shop & Online organic grocer

Do you intend to use whilst here on holiday or to purchase and take back to Singapore?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
10. Re: Organic Shop & Online organic grocer

ACA, they have already been on their trip, if you read post #8.