We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire in Melbourne: from airport or city centre?

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Groningen...
reviews: 8
Car Hire in Melbourne: from airport or city centre?

Hi,

Next year November we plan to take a road trip across Victoria. We will start en end the trip in Melbourne, staying a few nights in the city before and after the road trip. I was wondering whether it is better to hire a car at the airport or in the city centre? Am I right assuming, that for a first time visitor to Melbourne the airport location would be easier (less traffic, not as difficult to find your way etc.)? Are there any differences in price between the two locations? And what about transportation between the city centre and the airport? How long does it take, what are the possibilities and how much does it cost? Hope you can help me with this! Thank you!

Mount Isa, Australia
reviews: 183
1. Re: Car Hire in Melbourne: from airport or city centre?

The first thing I would be looking at is whether your hotel has somewhere to park the car. Car parking can be very expensive in Melbourne so if they don't, or even if they do and it's high, say more than $30 per day, I would not hire the car until you left for your road trip. Also if we includes children, they most be in the proper child safety seat for their age. This is a legal requirement. You can hire the seats with the car.

Its very easy to get around Melbourne by public transport with trams, trains and buses and the free city circle tram.

I don't think where you pick the car up from will make a difference as you will be driving on the opposite ride of the road. A thing that confuses many drivers who aren't from Melboure is the "hook turn" that we have in Melbourne so that trams can flow through the traffic. They aren't hard, but are unique, so you should Google/YouTube them before you come.

If you do hire your car later, you can catch the Sky Bus from the airport to Southern Cross Railway Station or a taxi. Taxi prices would start at $40 and go up depending on how much traffic you encounter.

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 47
2. Re: Car Hire in Melbourne: from airport or city centre?

Getting out of the city is quite simple and most of the car rental offices are close to the motorway entrances.

In any case you should have a GPS to make life easier.

I would pick up a car at a city office. It will be more expensive at the airport. There's always an airport surcharge added. It also means that you can avoid paying the rather hefty Skybus fares.

The only downside is that city offices keep office hours and are not open early mornings or at night while the airport offices are open the same hours as the airport.

Groningen...
3. Re: Car Hire in Melbourne: from airport or city centre?

Thanks Ktsnowowl! We weren't actually planning on hiring the car for the days we spend in the city. We will be using public transport for these days.We have been driving on the opposite side of the road before without too much problems. But that in combination with trams, traffic jams and driving in an unknown city in general might be a problem. Considering all this hiring from the airport might be easier and less stressful. On the other hand when picking up the car from the airport, we would have to go back there from the city centre paying another bus or taxi fare to get there.

By the way it's only my husband and me travelling, no children involved.

Groningen...
4. Re: Car Hire in Melbourne: from airport or city centre?

Thanks evamelb, this is very useful information. I might consider renting from a city office after all then.

Edited: 5:54 pm, October 22, 2013
Cheshire - England
reviews: 12
5. Re: Car Hire in Melbourne: from airport or city centre?

Hope the following may be of some help - My wife and I are in Melbourne all next week and had the same dilemma in that we want a car for about three days but could not decide where to get it from. In the end we have hired with eastcoastcarrentals.com.au picking up the car in the City Centre but leaving at the airport on our final day.

There did not seem to be any extra cost for this and the nice thing is that if we if you give them a call about one hour before you booking starts they will apparently send a vehicle round to your hotel to take you to their depot to get the car.

I must emphasis that I have never hired from them before but decided to on the reccomendation of someone I met!

Groningen...
6. Re: Car Hire in Melbourne: from airport or city centre?

Hi simonrwright! Thanks for your help. Could you come back to me after the rental and give me a short review of eastcoastcarrentals.com.au please? Thank you!

7. Re: Car Hire in Melbourne: from airport or city centre?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, October 26, 2014