We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help, 4 days melbourne itinerary

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
bangkok
help, 4 days melbourne itinerary

good day,

we are a couple arriving melbourne airport at 6.30am on the 22nd dec for 4 days and will do a 3 days GOR drive to adelaide.

i realize we have 4 full days in melbourne but was told everything is pratically close on christmas day itself. here are some doubts after i did some research, any opinion is highly appreciated.

is it doable? if

1. i hire a car at the airport and drive to morning peninsula on the first day of arrival, stay one night and drive back to melbourne cbd in the morning? we plan to visit a few places in mornington. arthurs seat, sorrento, 1 or 2 wineries, lavender farm and maze garden in a day. will it be too rush ? its summer time so i figure sun sets pretty late?

2. the only affordable accommodations i found on the web are in frankston. is it a good place to stay? we probably be out the whole day and only check in in the evening and spend a night there to avoid driving back to melbourne at night.

3. any other day trip suggestions are welcome! i am leaving out yarra as i will go to barossa and kangaroo island when i am in adelaide. and my partner does not drink much.

some little about us, we are in our thirties, loves nature and food, would like to go for a concert or a jazz play in melbourne.

thanks!

8 replies to this topic
Melbourne Australia
reviews: 89
1. Re: help, 4 days melbourne itinerary

Hi Christinaks, what you suggest is doable....but big day like you say. Mornington Peninsula is around 1.1/2-1.3/4 hrs drive from the airport (depends on route) (start of it) Most things will be shut but petrol stations, 7-11's and I think most fast food places s should be open (the major chains). I think you might find the Maze is closed Christmas day along with the Lavender Farm. But you can go to Sorrento and Portsea back beaches. Even Point Nepean National Park is closed Christmas day. It's a hard day to find much open at all actually. I am not sure about wineries, I think some might well be closed too. Frankston is fine to stay in, I live not far from there myself. Maybe you should consider starting the GOR trip though earlier instead of Mornington Peninsula simply because of the availability of things you want to see and do being open? Alternatively drive down as far as Sorrento and catch the car ferry across to Queenscliff which is well on the way to the GOR, very scenic and I believe open Christmas Day too. Good luck

Edited: 3:49 pm, September 10, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
2. Re: help, 4 days melbourne itinerary

Hey Christinaks. GOR sounds fab! I was in Melbourne a few years ago now and a great day trip we took with friends which was easy and relatively cheap was to catch the ferry across to Williamstown www.travelvictoria.com.au/williamstown/. We walked around the point, saw the heritage park and botanic gardens it was great on a sunny day. Also had fish n chips for lunch. Very relaxing.

The time you are there could be difficult for some activities but I would think unless it's Christmas Day then most things should be open for the holiday season rush. I was spoilt by my husband when I was there and stayed at Hotel Lindrum http://www.hotellindrum.com.au/ it was close to everything so saved on travel time and dollars. I think he got some kind of special as it is quite expensive to stay there. Anyway you should check out last minute hotel deals if you wanted to stay closer to the city. Hope you have a great trip!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
reviews: 12
3. Re: help, 4 days melbourne itinerary

So you are going to be driving the GOR to Adelaide from the 26th to the 29th Dec? Have you booked accommodation along the GOR yet? It is the busiest time of the year as many locals have that week off work & head down to the coast. Many accommodation places have a 2 night minimum stay. Also be aware that traffic will be heavier & driving slower, especially around Lorne & Apollo Bay. You will still have a great trip just allow extra time & make sure you have places to stay pre booked.

Are you arriving on a flight from Thailand? If so, I wouldn't recommend collecting a rental car & driving through the city down to the Mornington Peninsula on the first day. The Mornington Peninsula is quite big & if you are staying in Frankston, you will be doing a lot of driving. I will add that while Frankston is fine as a place to stay overnight, it's not really part of the Mornington Peninsula. I'd spend your first day exploring the city, everything will be open on the 22nd. You can easily do a day trip down to the Mornington Peninsula on the 23rd, everything should be open then too.

You have mentioned not wanting to do the Yarra Valley because you are going to the Barossa Valley, but there's lots more to the YV than just wineries. Healesville Sanctuary is open on Christmas Day www.zoo.org.au/healesville/plan-your-visit There's also Lavender & Fruit Farms up that way & though they are closed Christmas Day, they are open on the 24th. farmsoftheyarravalley.com.au/farms/lavender/

www.zoo.org.au/healesville/plan-your-visit

Here's a recent thread with ideas for things to do in Melbourne on Christmas Day:

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g255100-i278-k6…

Just as an FYI with taking the ferry from Sorrento to Queenscliff, some car rental companies won't cover you for any damage which happens on the ferry, so you need to read the T&C's carefully to make sure it isn't listed as an exclusion (like driving on dirt roads)

Edited: 5:31 pm, September 10, 2013
Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 41
4. Re: help, 4 days melbourne itinerary

Great information and suggestions.^^^

If you enjoy jazz you should make n effort to get to Bennetts Lane ( http://www.bennettslane.com ) while in Melbourne - one of Australia's top clubs.

bangkok
5. Re: help, 4 days melbourne itinerary

Hi ellen thanks for the infomative suggestions.

We have booked stays in melbourne from 23rd to 26th and along GOR. we are now left with the hotel in frankston which is on the 22nd.

However I would veryvmuch like the idea of doing mornington peninsula on the 23rd. But this time I need to drive back to melbourne in the same day as the hotel booked is not refundable.

Also it sounds like there is much going in victoria market on sunday itself.

So, should I do it on the 22nd long drive but get to rest at night or 23nd long drive as well but a day trip. Im a bit confused with the car rental rates too. I think I will be charge with extras if I pick it up from the airport and drop back at melbourne eh?

Thank you so much!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
reviews: 12
6. Re: help, 4 days melbourne itinerary

I usually do the Mornington Peninsula as a day trip, though I do live in the south eastern suburbs. Frankston is an outer suburb of Melbourne, so I don't see much of an advantage staying there rather than returning to the CBD. If it was me I'd book the first night at the same hotel in the CBD the rest of your stay is at & spend the 22nd enjoying the city. Pick up the rental car in the city as early as you can on the 23rd, then head down to the Mornington Peninsula for the day.

It might be worth keeping the car for your whole trip (including GOR), depending on what you want to do on the 24th & 25th. If you decide to drive up to the Yarra Valley or even to explore a few of the beaches around Melbourne, having a car could be helpful.

Picking up the rental car at the airport is usually more expensive (extra fees) & some companies charge drop off fees if it's not returned to the location it was picked up from. You will probably have a largish drop off fee between Melbourne & Adelaide.

Waterloo, Canada
reviews: 286
7. Re: help, 4 days melbourne itinerary

Hi,

You should check out AirBnB for accommodations. We found a place over Christmas for 4 days for under $300 AUD. A whole apartment in South Yarra!

Good luck

bangkok
8. Re: help, 4 days melbourne itinerary

Dear ellen. I think what you suggested is a good idea. Thank you so much again and have a good day :)

Reply to: help, 4 days melbourne itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted