We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maxi-taxis common @ Tullamarine Aiport or booking needed?

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, Australia
Maxi-taxis common @ Tullamarine Aiport or booking needed?

We have six people and we're weighing up the option of either going on the Sky Bus or catching a Maxi Taxi.

I wanted to know if the Maxi Taxi's are commonly available at the airport? Or do they require bookings?

Thanks! :D

15 replies to this topic
Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 78
1. Re: Maxi-taxis common @ Tullamarine Aiport or booking needed?

They line up like other Taxis. If you just join the queue and tell the taxi Marshall that you need a Maxi Cab, he'll keep you at the head of the line until the next one comes along. Skybus service is pretty good though, but with 6 of you, Maxicab will probably be cheaper anyhow. Enjoy!

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 41
2. Re: Maxi-taxis common @ Tullamarine Aiport or booking needed?

There's a bay full of hundreds of cabs at the airport waiting to come to the terminals to pick up a fare. Maxis among them. If you need a maxi they will call one from the pool.

Adelaide, Australia
3. Re: Maxi-taxis common @ Tullamarine Aiport or booking needed?

Thanks for the reply! One more question... what exactly is the 'pool'?

Adelaide, Australia
4. Re: Maxi-taxis common @ Tullamarine Aiport or booking needed?

I'd read similar answers but they weren't as straightforward as your reply so I was a bit confused :) Thank you for helping!

Sydney/Melbourne
5. Re: Maxi-taxis common @ Tullamarine Aiport or booking needed?

When cabs get to the airport they go to a huge holding bay to wait their turn to pick up passengers. If there's a special request, like for a Maxi, one can be called from this pool of cars.

Adelaide, Australia
6. Re: Maxi-taxis common @ Tullamarine Aiport or booking needed?

Just an update if anyone else has the same question as me -

I gave 13Cabs a call and apparently you can't make booking for maxi-taxis to pick you up from the airport (something about there being 100s of taxis there waiting - couldn't catch all of it because the man was speaking very quickly!).

I also asked for a rough quote (Airport to Adina Apartment Hotels (Queen St. Melbourne)) and he said $70... and I'm assuming that's ... per person? He said thank you and hung up before I could clarify that :\

Adelaide, Australia
7. Re: Maxi-taxis common @ Tullamarine Aiport or booking needed?

Thank you

Sydney/Melbourne
8. Re: Maxi-taxis common @ Tullamarine Aiport or booking needed?

No way would that be per person. Usual fare to the city is somewhere between $50 and $65 depending n where. Maxis charge 50% more so expect to pay anywhere from $70 to $90 - depending on traffic - for the cab. After midnight there's another 20% surcharge added.

Adelaide, Australia
9. Re: Maxi-taxis common @ Tullamarine Aiport or booking needed?

Oh that's good! Sounds surprisingly cheap... as you've probably guessed I haven't had much experience with taxis...

Hong Kong, China
10. Re: Maxi-taxis common @ Tullamarine Aiport or booking needed?

Hi, if we are only a group of 4 adults with 4 big luggage, do we need to Maxi Taxi as it seems big enough for 11 persons ? Is a normal taxi big enough ?

Reply to: Maxi-taxis common @ Tullamarine Aiport or booking needed?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted