We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbourne in October 2013

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
reviews: 2
Melbourne in October 2013

I am in the process of planning my Melbourne + days trips in this October. Have been reading tripadvisor forum, hwz forum, other forum and few websites, but not yet book any air ticket or accommodation (still got 2 more months, should be on time right?). Here’s my enquiries, would appreciate if you all can help to answer. Thanks so much! :)

Will make it a 7days trip… Day trip to Philip Island, Day trip to Great Ocean Road, Day trip to Mornington Peninsula

(not going for puffing billy, etc)

1) I have shortlisted the places that I wish to go or visit for the other 4 days, how to plan my itineraries so that it will not become too tourist thing, yet have a bit of local feel? I know many pple will say 2 days are enough, but I have always wanted to go Australia since years ago, so many places i wish to go and also hope to take it in a slow pace.

- Shopping

(Brunwick St in Fitzroy, David Jones @ Bourke Street Mall, Swan Street, DFO @ Southbank, Melbourne Central)

- See see look look / walk walk

(QVM, Brighton Beach, Acland Street, Chinatown, South Melbourne Market, Fitzroy Gardens, The Shrine of Remembrance, Royal Botanic Gardens, Eureka Tower, Paris end of Collin St, State Library of Victoria, Block Arcade, Yarra River, Healesville Sanctuary, Fed Square (to book day tours) and Flinders Street Station (for live entertainment).

Will take the free tram and shuttle buses for some of the places.

2) How does Myki functions? Still got differentiate zone 1 & 2? I know it is not as user-friendly as Metcard.

3) Anyone stay in Park Avenue Accommodation Group (Melbourne City Serviced Apartment), this apartment location seems good and got promotion price, but cannot find any review online. Not interested in other hotels that forums recommended, because I read their reviews not that good.

4) Any festival / event in October? Is it the peak period?

5) After clear customs, which way should we go to buy the skybus tickets? We have 3 persons, so I think skybus is cheaper than taking taxi, correct me if I am wrong.

6) Which supermarket to go in the CBD area? I like going their supermarket when traveling, got a lot of local foods stuffs to buy!

7) Helicopter ride how much? If I remember correctly, it’s around 5-10mins only, quite ex, but don’t know the exact amount.

8) Need to pre-book the day tours? Scared no vacancy if book when I reached Melbourne itself.

9) Which market to go if only can choose 2? All seems good. QVM, South Melbourne or Pranhan?

10) If wanted to get close to kangaroo & take photo with koala bear, which place to go? Wilson Prom or Healesville Sancturay?

11) Mornington Peninsula (Lavender garden) already bloom in October? Wish to see lavender!

12) I saw on the TV, got people take horse-carriage, anyone can provide more information or try before?

Sorry for asking so many questions and thanks for the patience for spending the time to provide your help. Your help is greatly appreciated! ^.^

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 38
71. Re: Melbourne in October 2013

Check out this day tour for the Mornington Peninsual - it is not all about wine.

tourstogo.com.au/tour/…

N.B. the Yarra Valley region is kinda famous for wineries so you need to expect this.

Singapore
72. Re: Melbourne in October 2013

Any other day trip to suggest?

Is werribee park nice or fun? Dun know convenient to go from cbd anot.

Singapore
73. Re: Melbourne in October 2013

How warm should one be prepared for the penguin parade, especially for pple whom very scared of cold?

Thanks!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
reviews: 12
74. Re: Melbourne in October 2013

How about Ballarat or Bendigo, both are easily reached by train for a day trip? Do some research on them to see if they interest you. Werribee Park is interesting, it's been a few years since I've been but the renovations on the house looked good. The Rose Garden should be spectacular in November. You can also visit the Zoo down there as well.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
75. Re: Melbourne in October 2013

And re the Penguin Parade, wear as many layers as you can! If the wind is coming from the south, it will be really cold. If it's a warmer night & you have layers, you can take some of them off.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 38
76. Re: Melbourne in October 2013

I agree, it's the wind chill that freezes you so if a wind jacket or parka is ideal for the Penguin Parade. You should also take a towel to sit on as the seats are concrete (so hard and cold) . This is assuming you are going general viewing.

Singapore
77. Re: Melbourne in October 2013

Is warm pack available in melbourne? Maybe can buy tht.

From my research and own assumption, here's are the things i can buy in australia:

1) macademia nuts

2) nougats

3) arnotts biscuits

4) nobby's peanuts

5) manuka honey (is it cheaper than singapore?)

6) fruits

7) chocolate

Anymore to add in?

Thanks!

Melbourne...
reviews: 28
78. Re: Melbourne in October 2013

It would be a smaller list of what you cannot buy in Australia

Singapore
79. Re: Melbourne in October 2013

Until now i still don't know what is worth buying in Australia, that is cheaper than SG?

Or some local Australia brands that is/are recommend to buy?

(Not ugg boots, because i got boots already)

Pls share! :)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
80. Re: Melbourne in October 2013

There's not much cheaper here, clothes etc will be more expensive. Do have a wander through Myer & David Jones in the city as they do carry a few local brands. They have sales from time to time. I wouldn't recommend Rivers except to pick up a cheap jacket as their clothes are so cheap they are nasty (& also not fashionable). For shoes, Wittner is great & often have sales as well. DFO has old season stock & you can pick up some bargains.

Rather than looking for specific items, just keep your eyes open for anything you notice which you can't get at home.