We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Too early to book hotel for Grand Prix 2014?

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 114
Too early to book hotel for Grand Prix 2014?

Hi

My travelling partner and myself are coming to Melbourne for 5 days during the Grand Prix and would like to stay in the city centre as I believe the transport to and from the Grand Prix site is good. Our budget, per night, would be in the region of 145-200 AUD.

I would appreciate some recommendations as I may need to book earlier rather than later.

Thanks for your help.

Mollie

27 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 30
1. Re: Too early to book hotel for Grand Prix 2014?

No such thing as too early, as it's all dependent on your finances and your planning as to what is too early.

I'd actually highly recommend you do book early with your price range.

Melbourne
reviews: 7
2. Re: Too early to book hotel for Grand Prix 2014?

I agree - with that budget over a very busy weekend in Melbourne, I would book as soon as I found something I liked in my budget.

What type/level of accommodation are you looking for?

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 41
3. Re: Too early to book hotel for Grand Prix 2014?

I very much doubt that you would get anything in that price range in the centre of the city for GP weekend. You would have a better chance if you looked further our in the suburbs.

I'm not a GP fan so can't speak with 100% certainty, but my understanding is that the GP ticket entitles you to free public transport to and from Albert Park.

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 24
4. Re: Too early to book hotel for Grand Prix 2014?

You might be ok with the price range for the city but please dont expect higher than 3 star. It's never too early, the city not too bad but Phillip island & surrounds book out couple years ahead now! I was on a waiting list for 18months for last years race & didn't get accommodation, I ended up getting camper van & camping on the island for the weekend (quite good actually).

The weekend is fantastic - have a great time!!

Brisbane, Australia
5. Re: Too early to book hotel for Grand Prix 2014?

Evamelb the race is on Phillip island, not at Albert park.

Perth, Australia
reviews: 43
6. Re: Too early to book hotel for Grand Prix 2014?

Since when is the F1 Grand Prix on Philip Island Tabatha13?

When people refer to the GP, it would be rare for them to mean the bikes....IME

To answer OP, book now. Be aware that room rates will double for the Friday & Saturday night, even at the cheapest hotel.

Eva is correct, travel to Albert Park on public transport is included in the ticket price.

Brisbane, Australia
7. Re: Too early to book hotel for Grand Prix 2014?

Sorry, when someone says to me GP I think motoGP. When someone says F1 it' means F1. Apologies for the bum steer

Dublin, Ireland
8. Re: Too early to book hotel for Grand Prix 2014?

Thanks everyone for helpful replies....I do realise I need to up the budget especially during that very busy time. Thanks PerthiteOz too for reminding me that prices will rise at the weekend...same here in Ireland when big event on...

I'll be back when I've done a bit of research on hotels..

Meantime, thanks again,

Mollie

Melbourne, Australia
9. Re: Too early to book hotel for Grand Prix 2014?

Hi,

We have stayed at the City Garden Hotel, 378 Little Bourke Street, Melbourne VIC 3000 on 3 occasions and friends to for an excellent price. It is an apartment hotel. Only bad point was the first time they gave us room on the street front that was noissy with early morning delivery trucks. We now request rooms away from the front and perfect - earlier this year we paid $197 per night.

Dublin, Ireland
10. Re: Too early to book hotel for Grand Prix 2014?

Thanks for that AUUK2013. I'll examine every option possible. I have full confidence I'll get something to suit:)

Mollie

Reply to: Too early to book hotel for Grand Prix 2014?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted