We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice..Drive: Melb-GOR-Phillip Island- Sydney - Motogp)

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Advice..Drive: Melb-GOR-Phillip Island- Sydney - Motogp)

Hi, We are going to the MotoGP in October, we land in Melbourne and pick up a touring bike, we then plan to travel the GOR for 2 days and head back towards Phillip Island for the MotoGP (should we head inland on the way back?). Once the GP finishes we will head up to Sydney by bike, unsure yet as to whether we should stick around on Phillip Island for the Sunday night after the race or head off that night. Hoping to make it to Sydney or maybe even Blue Mountains in 3 days. Any advice on the GP, the route, the highlights, top tips, things not to be missed, etc much appreciated.

12 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 36
1. Re: Advice..Drive: Melb-GOR-Phillip Island- Sydney - Motogp)

To save you time, once you have done the GOR, head towards Queenscliff and then take the Queenscliff -Sorrento Ferry across to Sorrento (the other side of the bay called the Mornington Peninsular) You can take your bikes onboard this ferry and this will save you from driving back through the CBD.

http://www.searoad.com.au/ & http://www.searoad.com.au/area-guide/

Touring map: visitvictoria.com/Information/Route-planner.…

P.S. it's peak season on Phillip Island during the MotoGP so be aware that there will be traffic everywhere and that the restaurants will be packed.

London, United...
2. Re: Advice..Drive: Melb-GOR-Phillip Island- Sydney - Motogp)

Thanks for this advice! Do you think that we should pre-book accomodation on the GOR and/or the route from P.I up to Sydney or could we get away with finding something when we r there?

London, United...
3. Re: Advice..Drive: Melb-GOR-Phillip Island- Sydney - Motogp)

Thanks for this advice! Do you think that we should pre-book accomodation on the GOR and/or the route from P.I up to Sydney or could we get away with finding something when we r there?

Melbourne, Australia
4. Re: Advice..Drive: Melb-GOR-Phillip Island- Sydney - Motogp)

Definitely pre-book your PI if you haven't already done so. I would assume everything is booked out now. Not sure about booking the rest of your trip as I would wait to see what itinerar the experts come up with . I haven't driven to Sydney so I can't advise but I can help you with PI. We visit yearly for our family holidays

London, United...
5. Re: Advice..Drive: Melb-GOR-Phillip Island- Sydney - Motogp)

Thanks again, we have a bungalow sorted for PI but its just the road trip we haven't sorted, hoping we will find somewhere when we get there.

Melbourne, Australia
6. Re: Advice..Drive: Melb-GOR-Phillip Island- Sydney - Motogp)

If you are happy to book your accommodation whilst you're on the go, then you can try these last minute websites for bargain accommodation: wotif.com & last minute.com .Safe travels.

p.s. re GOR, do try to have a pitstop at Aireys Inlet for the Split Point Lighthouse. Great views from the top.

Edited: 4:17 am, August 07, 2013
Sydney, Australia
7. Re: Advice..Drive: Melb-GOR-Phillip Island- Sydney - Motogp)

Are you looking for anyone to share your bungalow, costs etc as we are also looking to travel down from Sydney and stay on the island!

Tom

Docklands Melbourne
reviews: 21
8. Re: Advice..Drive: Melb-GOR-Phillip Island- Sydney - Motogp)

Have a look at. Www.greatsoutherntouring.com.au. When you collect the bike, consider Melb-Ballarat-Warnambool-Port Campbell then the GOR...terrific bike ride. Depending on your time frame there is lots to see. The Sea Ferry at Queenscliff is a good option and then make your way around the Mornington Peninsula to PI for the race. On Saturday of the race a huge group meet in Cranbourne with all the bikes (&trikes) going in convoy to PI.......good fun.

On your trip to Sydney take the coast road and consider turning inland at Cann River on the Monaro Highway to Canberra another terrific bike ride then on to Sydney.

Mount Isa, Australia
reviews: 141
9. Re: Advice..Drive: Melb-GOR-Phillip Island- Sydney - Motogp)

It takes 10 hours to drive from Melbourne to Sydney, so 3 days will be plenty.

I think you'll be ok booking accommodation as you go. Most of it will be 3/4 star motels, nothing too glitzy or glamorous.

Kuala Lumpur...
reviews: 3
10. Re: Advice..Drive: Melb-GOR-Phillip Island- Sydney - Motogp)

Hi,

I'll be in melbourne from 31 oct till 5 nov'13. I plan to go to philip island & gor. I'll go both of the places by selfdriving (car) and only day trip. I stay in highett that period of time. Since there is a motogp that time, may i know which day should i go to pi & gor to avoid any unnecessary traffic jam? Pls advice. Thanks in advance.

Reply to: Advice..Drive: Melb-GOR-Phillip Island- Sydney - Motogp)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted