We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help needed regards the Strathmore/essendon area

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 3
Help needed regards the Strathmore/essendon area

hey,

Hope somebody can assist me.

My girlfriend and I are coming to Melbourne for a month in sept and think we might have found a nice 1 bedroom to stay in for this period. Its a furnised 1 bedroom in Strathmore. I was wondering has anybody got any reviews of this area. We might have a car for the month but if not is there public transport in and out to CBD, St Kilda etc. Also is area safe. Any advice would be greatly apperciated.

Regards,

Ed

Melbourne
reviews: 9
1. Re: Help needed regards the Strathmore/essendon area

Hi

Its a very safe area about 20 miuntes out of the CBD by public transport, train & possibly tram depending on where your flat is. On the opposite side of the city to St.Kilda but still not difficult to get to with a change of tram. I think Willnino (local expert) may be able to give a more indepth review of this area.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 42
2. Re: Help needed regards the Strathmore/essendon area

Hi Ed, I can give you a bit of advice on Strathmore as I lived there for 6 years. If you can give me some street names that will make it easier to let you know exactly how far things are from you. There is a good bus service running through most of Strathmore which will take you to a few places, main one being Moonee Ponds (birthplace of Dame Edna Everidge) which is a hub area not too far out of town. In Moonee Ponds you can get trains and trams into the city. Driving is even easier as it is only a short car trip to many great Melbourne locations, 15mins by freeway into the centre of town. It is very safe, one of the really nice suburbs of Melbourne and you won't have a problem at all there, there is even an Irish pub in Mount Alexander Road, Essendon. Essendon is the neighbouring suburb to Strathmore and has many more shops and better public transport options. Also in Essendon is a street called Keilor Road. In 2 kms of this street you can find just about anything you set your mind too, McDonalds, coffee shops, car lots, great restaurants, hardware shops, etc.

Can't go wrong there.

Dublin, Ireland
3. Re: Help needed regards the Strathmore/essendon area

excellent,

Thats great to hear. Sounds just prefect. The name of room is arvon road. you ever hear of it. The rent is $175 p.w, which i think is very reasonable.

All the best and thanks again for all your help,

regards,

Ed

Dublin, Ireland
4. Re: Help needed regards the Strathmore/essendon area

sorry, meant name of road is avron road, getting abit confused here. hehe.

Glenlyon, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
reviews: 34
5. Re: Help needed regards the Strathmore/essendon area

Will you seem to have lived everywhere- lol. I am convinced you were a gypsy in a former life :)

Melbourne
6. Re: Help needed regards the Strathmore/essendon area

Hi Again

Don't freak when you read this as its not as bad as it sounds. Arvon Road is a small road on the perimeter of Essendon Airport. Its not under a flight path but off to the side a bit, although I would imagine you would be able to hear planes taking off & landing. Having said that this is not the major Airport and is mainly used by light aircraft & the Police Airwing. Does not take any International or interstate flights or any sort of large aircraft. I believe there is a curfew on flights between 11pm & 6am.

Having not lived in the area I don't really know if the noise is an issue but times I've been nearby you only see the occasional plane operating and with the curfew I don't think it shoud be a problem.

The street is just over 1km from Pascoe Vale station and I think there is a small shopping centre there. There is a much larger shopping centre at Glenroy which is about 3kms or 2 train stations away. I'm actually heading over that way later to see a customer so will have a look around and get back to you.

Cheers.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 42
7. Re: Help needed regards the Strathmore/essendon area

You are getting me confused Stan, there is an Avro Court and Arvon Road in Strathmore Heights, they aren't that far apart anyway. If it is Arvon Road, it happens to be the next road up to where I lived in Dagonet Street. Luckily enough you aren't in the flight path there but the two streets do run up into the airport boundary. It is where the planes taxi for the east-west runway and they can get a bit loud (mostly prop planes, no jets) when they are revving up for take off. After living there for a while I rarely noticed them but visitors would be more aware of the noise. Just turn the TV up if you are home :-)). Otherwise it is a great area, very suburban and just a few little shops in the area. If you don't have a car, you will have to rely on the bus system. There are some great walking/running/riding tracks not far away that run along the creek and go all the way into the city. Bit far to walk into town though.

6A6, I really haven't lived in that many places, born and raised in Hadfield (not many know where that is, so say Glenroy). We moved to Strathmore when I was a teenager. Moved out at 21 and lived in Hadfield, Westmeadows, Diggers Rest and Sunbury before moving back into town, to Fairfield, 4 years ago. Ooops, did live in Mill Park for a year, when it was almost a country town, nothing like it is now. In my surfing years I did "almost" live at the beach, spent many days and nights down at the surf coast but always at "friends" houses ;-))

Dublin, Ireland
8. Re: Help needed regards the Strathmore/essendon area

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the help. Im seriously thinking of staying here now. The flight path doesnt bother me, we have plenty of them where i live now in Dublin, Ireland, so you learn to get use to them, plus where only going be in this location for 3weeks.

Regards,

Ed

Melbourne
9. Re: Help needed regards the Strathmore/essendon area

Hi Ed

When I was in Oak Park the other day I had a quick drive up to Arvon St. Good, safe area and actually looks out over the airport. The walk to the station would be almost a mile and there aren't really any shops nearby. The small group nearby no longer even has a milk bar or deli so you will be relying on getting groceries etc from a little way away. Also getting back in the evening / night if the buses are like my area will mean walking from the station and a long way from the nearest pub or bottleshop if thats important. Still it a good price and as I said a nice enough area.

Willnino

I went to the Demons v Bombers on the weekend. Was very nervous in the first half. Considering your sides injuries they played really well but just couldn't kick a goal for love nor money. Been there and done that. A few early draft picks and players , like Lloydy returning from injury, will do wonders. God I hate Telstra Dome.

Cheers.

Dublin, Ireland
10. Re: Help needed regards the Strathmore/essendon area

Thanks AussieJohn,

Where going to try and get this place at a week to week basis, as I do have concerns about its location, as I am not certain yet if we will be hiring a car for the duration of our stay. But the place looks cosy and really cant go wrong for that price. Its even cheaper then the hostels. We're not concerned that its not near st kilda, cos I do understand if we want to be near that area, we would need to dig deeper into our pockets. But as were going to be travelling the length and breath of your country we need to make savings along the way! Again tho thanks for your help, and if all aussie's are like u im sure we will have a super time.

All the best

Ed