We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tullamarine Airport transfer to Hotel in City

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 25
Tullamarine Airport transfer to Hotel in City

Hi guys,

Need some advice. Will be travelling in a family of 7 (2 seniors, 3 adults and 2 children) to Melb in June. I am looking at the various options to travel from the airport to the hotel in the city. But not sure which one would be better.

1. Skybus

- Cheaper option, but not sure if suitable for my entourage :) Especially with the 2 seniors and 2 kids in tow, and probably 5 luggages.

2. Maxi Taxi

- I was quoted $140 + $10 (parking) + $10 (child restraint). A bit pricey, but give convenience.

Does anyone has any good advice for me? If go for pre-booking of maxi taxi, any good recommendation?

By the way, my children are 10 and 6 yo. Do they really need child restraints in cars?

Thanks in advance, guys!

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 4
1. Re: Tullamarine Airport transfer to Hotel in City

I'd go for maxi taxi. Loaded-unloaded, all your luggage with you and straight to the destination. Yes, child restraint is compulsory in Victoria for children under 7...

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 42
2. Re: Tullamarine Airport transfer to Hotel in City

No, a child restraint is not compulsory for children in a taxi. Cabs are exempt from that law. As long as the child has their own seat and seat belt.

Forget the prebooked taxi - you are being ripped off.

You can get a maxi if you stand in line outside the terminal at the cab queue. Just ask the rank supervisor to call one out of the bay.

You will pay 50% more than for a regular cab - to the city that should be about $100-$120 max.

What's the parking charge for? Child restraint not needed (unless you want one)

A Skybus, for your crowd, will not be much cheaper (if at all) and will be a pain. The bus will take you to Southern Cross where you have to off load all your gear and then load it onto the smaller hotel shuttle bus before being taken to your hotel.

Get the Maxi.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 8
3. Re: Tullamarine Airport transfer to Hotel in City

Sky bus family return ticket is $65 for 2 Adults 1-4 children. A standard taxi to the city is $50 one way. There should be no charges for parking as the taxis do not have to pay for such a thing. You only pay for what is on the meter Tipping is optional but as a rule Australians do not, and don't expect to receive tips.

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 42
4. Re: Tullamarine Airport transfer to Hotel in City

Graeme there are 7 of them so they would need 2 standard taxis. Not sure when you last took a cab to the city from Tullamarine, but we go to Southbank weekly and the fare is always somewhere between $65 and $70.

There are 5 adults and 2 children so they would still need to buy 3 extra adults tickets for the Skybus over and above the Family ticket.

5. Re: Tullamarine Airport transfer to Hotel in City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 22, 2014