We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather during early june in melbourne

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 1
weather during early june in melbourne

I get to know from my friend that June is really cold and attire should include scarf and gloves. Just want some advice.

this is my 1st visit to melbourne arrriving on 2nd week of June, and now am really confuse what kind shoe or boots i must bring.. is that funny if i wear boots and i like to know pepole in melbourne will wear the winter boots exp for girls & womens.

Would appreciate advice how cold it will be, and what attire you would reccommend to bring along. pls advice since really no idea

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 27
1. Re: weather during early june in melbourne

Most of the population has already started wearing their winter boots and yes I have seen plenty of gloves and scarves this past week. Hats too.

2. Re: weather during early june in melbourne

Thanks alot for your reply now am clear and will get the winter boots and wait for the time...

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 17
3. Re: weather during early june in melbourne

Your looking at between 10 -17 degrees Celsius on most days in Melbourne currently and into June. Depending on where you are from you may or may not think this is cold. Most people in Melbourne would be wearing hat, scarves, winter coats and boots on the colder and wetter days. In Melbourne you do tend to layer clothing as it is known for being 4 seasons in 1 day. You could feel cold in the morning frost but by afternoon the sun will come out and you will feel hot. Enjoy your trip!

4. Re: weather during early june in melbourne

Hi am from Malaysia penang currently weather in Malaysia damn hot. Ya my frd told me the weather in Melbourne will be cold n going to be winter. .he advice me to bring jeans t shirt n if can normal shoe or boot will be easy for traveling. Since I plan to go Sydney as well. So now I must get warm jackets n glove tick clothes. Thx yar for your advice

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 6
5. Re: weather during early june in melbourne

It does not snow in Melbourne but it will be cold and raining at times so you need something water proof.

Singapore, Singapore
6. Re: weather during early june in melbourne

Hi all

Will it be raining alot in June? I will be there first week of June. Like the first poster, Hemaji, I am from the tropics as well.

I am thinking of visiting Phillip Island as well. Do you guys think it is worth a visit in Winter? I understand that it will be much colder than the city area and I have a 2 year old with me too. And about the hot springs in Mornington Penninsula area, will it be too cold to have a dip there?

And lastly, do u think it is advisable to shop for winter clothes (and shoes) in Melbourne? I will be reaching Melbourne on a Sunday morning (4 am !!) and staying in Little Bourke Street. Just thinking of bringing one set of winter clothes and then shop for the rest in Melbourne. Where do you think I can shop? Winter clothes are pretty expensive in my country, given the fact that the weather is forever very hot here!

Edited: 5:07 am, May 21, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 16
7. Re: weather during early june in melbourne

Hi Lisa w,

It usually rains more heavily in July than June, but Melbourne is known for its unpredictable 'four seasons in one day' weather.

In terms of winter clothing, you'll find plenty of options across all price brackets. In the CBD, Bourke Street Mall has two major department stores (Myer and David Jones) and you'll have fun exploring the stores in the city arcades and laneways. If you are into malls, Chadstone in the eastern suburbs is Australia's largest (500+ stores), with all the major chain stores represented and all the big luxury brands. There's a shuttle service that departs from the CBD (google 'Chadstone tourist shuttle')

Phillip Island is very exposed to the elements and can get extremely cold in winter. It's not for me (I hate the cold!), but for some people, it adds to the atmosphere - rugging up in warm clothes, walking along the boardwalk at The Nobbies (visitphillipisland.com/listing/the-nobbies/) and watching the waves crash.

Mornington will be cold as well, but I guess many of the pools are heated. In addition to the thermal outdoor pools, it might be worthwhile checking in advance what the indoor bathing options might be. If you are heading that way for a day trip and you have a little one with you, it may be fun to visit the Enchanted Maze while you are there.

Also, if you are in Melbourne in late June, you might be interested in the Winter Solstice lantern parade at the Collingwood Children's Farm (inner city farm on the banks of the Yarra River, next door to the gorgeous Abbotsford Convent arts precinct - an under-rated Melbourne gem).

flickr.com/photos/…

Enjoy your holiday!

Singapore, Singapore
8. Re: weather during early june in melbourne

Thank you Deborah!

When the first poster mention about winter boots, is this the same as snow boots? Sorry if this might seem like a silly question, but coming from the tropics, I have not much of an idea what to wear! Are water proof boots recommended? We are going to Phillip Island and I just want to buy something appropriate for myself and most importantly ,the kids.

Singapore, Singapore
9. Re: weather during early june in melbourne

BTW, where to shop for winter boots for kids and adults in Melbourne? Any factory outlets in CBD area?

Edited: 11:27 pm, May 21, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 6
10. Re: weather during early june in melbourne

You wont need snow boots but waterproof wellingtons are good for the children with warm socks.