We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Filming Locations

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Filming Locations

Hello, I am visiting Melbourne in the summer and I would love to see some locations used in films and television. I've looked online and can't seem to find many references other than "Ramsey Street' and the Neighbours tour. Can anybody suggest other places?

35 replies to this topic
South Pole
reviews: 39
1. Re: Filming Locations

…wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_shot_in_Me…

I think it was ava gardner who said who said she couldn't think of a better place to make a film about the end of the world (on the beach) than Melbourne.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
reviews: 24
2. Re: Filming Locations

What a useless list for your purposes, Sarah! I'm afraid I can't be of any more help though :(

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 29
3. Re: Filming Locations

I too excitedly went to look at that list thinking it was similar to NY and London ones that are really detailed - sadly not !

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 38
4. Re: Filming Locations

Hi Sarah, many of these references may not be known to you but perhaps you know Kath & Kim?

onlymelbourne.com.au/melbourne_details.php…

You might also appreciate this - it is my favourite Victoria Tourism ad. I love seeing all the beautiful places the girl and her ball of string visits in Melbourne http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypCrz_2jivw

You may actually see some of them on your trip but beware, they're not all that obvious.

Hope you have a good time

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 29
5. Re: Filming Locations

Thats a better list Peter ! The site could do with updating it tho - what about more current stuff like Rush (the cop show not the 70s goldrush one already listed), the Underbelly series, Offspring etc

London, United...
6. Re: Filming Locations

Thanks everyone! I was trying to think of some Aussie shows that we've had in the UK recently and the only one that sprung to mind was a drama about Ronnie Biggs which was supposedly filmed in Melbourne although I only recall outback type settings and possibly a train station.

I remember Kath & Kim but not sure I'd recognise locations. Does anybody know where Chris Lilleys stuff was filmed eg Summer Heights High? Also Heartbreak High, which city was that?

Thanks again!

London, United...
7. Re: Filming Locations

Sorry, one other question - do any of the studios do tours? I know you can see Neughbours at the weekend but wondering if there's an equivalent to BBC Television Centre had in London where you could see inside etc

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 11
8. Re: Filming Locations

Summer Heights High was filmed at Brighton Secondary College in Brighton. Ramsay Street is Pinoak Court, South Vermont. Open 24/7 Some of the park scenes are at nearby Gells Park and Laseters is in a lot at the back of the Global Film Studios in Hawthorn Road, Nunnawading. Say that one out loud!

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 38
9. Re: Filming Locations

Just a word of caution - Brighton Secondary College is a real school. You won't be able to just walk in off the street to have a look around. I guess if you're a real fan you should call the school to enquire if they hold tours.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 16
10. Re: Filming Locations

Was 'The Secret Life of Us' ever on UK TV? If so, loads of St Kilda locations - Fitzroy Street, The Esplanade, St Kilda foreshore. The apartment block where the characters lived is just up from The Espy on Beaconsfield Parade.

St Kilda/Port Melbourne/Albert Park is also the setting for the current TV series 'House Husbands'.

Reply to: Filming Locations
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted