We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 22
Car rental

hi, i am in a dilenmia in which car rental companies to use. Is budget reliable? And i understand that there is a toll road to be paid when we pass by the roads. How do we go about it? sorry i m totally first time going melbourne. Will the car rental company do it on behalf of us or we have to do it ourselves?

9 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
reviews: 512
1. Re: Car rental

Hi,

All the major car rental companies ... Avis / Budget / Thrifty etc are all reliable & recommended.

FOR TOLL info . See link below.

budget.com.au/faqs/…default.aspx

2. Re: Car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:35 pm, December 16, 2013

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 41
3. Re: Car rental

As Ellemay said - all the big companies are fine to use.

Have a look at www.vroomvroomvroom.com for some comparative pricing. We often find that we can rent from the major companies through this site cheaper than using the rental companies direct - weird.

Some companies will provide you with an e-tag (similar to the electronic tag system used in Singapore.

Avoiding toll roads in Melbourne, is, IMO, not worth the time and effort, especially if you are not familiar with the city.

If your car is not equipped with an e-tag, then at every toll point you will see a big sign with a phone number to call and a website you can go to. You get 48 hours after using the toll roads to get on the phone or online to pay your tolls. If you don't, the rental company will pay the fine, add a hefty 'Admin Fee' and pass it on to you.

My last comment would be to suggest that unless you are staying out of the city centre somewhere in the suburbs then you might reconsider renting a car at all. Melbourne is a very walkable city, quite compact and there are free bus and tram options for visitors. If you think you will need a car to travel somewhere like the Great Ocean Road or Philip Island, then perhaps just rent a car for those days. Parking a car in and around the city is a nightmare and can get very expensive.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 29
4. Re: Car rental

We rented from BC Rentals in Southbank last month. Their vehicles have the eTag fitted already - you pay $9.95 to have it activated for your trip.

Any tolls then come direct out of your credit card 1 month later. No additional fees.

They also had a GPS for 9.95 per day if needed.

Petaling Jaya...
5. Re: Car rental

Is it better to book online first or book in person? I worry they might charge my credit card with a hefty deposit upfront n end up with a lousy totally different car at the end.

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 22
6. Re: Car rental

hi, i have checked in vroomvroom website. and it is really cheaper than direct companies. but i am wondering will there be any hidden cost when i collect the car from budget? And is the cost covered with vehicle recover if vehicle break down? Please advice. thank you. feel abit unsafe when i see the prices. so big diff!!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 29
7. Re: Car rental

I paid a $100 deposit online and the rest at pick up. The various websites will tell you what deposits they charge.

Stick with the big name companies and you will see they all have recent model vehicles.

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 41
8. Re: Car rental

No extra costs at all when you book through vroomvroomvroom.

Although you make the booking on their website all dealings and payments are through Budget.

When you pick up the car, Budget, like all other car rental companies, will try to upswell you on things like insurance, GPS etc. but it's up to you to agree or reject.

If you don't wish to pay a fee for activating an e-tag then you can pay the exact amount from your cc by phone or online. Just don't forget to do it within 48 hours.

Kuala Lumpur...
9. Re: Car rental

I have also recently rented a car from VroomVroom and I highly recommend using their service. This is the second year I have used their service and I would say they have excellent customer service, even prior to your pick up date.

If you have questions, just write in to their help support mail help (help@vroomvroomvroom.com.au) and they respond quickly and professionally. Perhaps I was lucky but one of their Help agents by the name of Kim was really, really helpful in helping me resolve a booking mistake I made, prior to my arrival.

Keep up the good service, VroomVroom :)

Edited: 10:15 pm, December 16, 2013
Reply to: Car rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted