We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbourne: September(mid) or Nov(1st week)

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur...
reviews: 2
Melbourne: September(mid) or Nov(1st week)

Hi!

Due to unforeseen circumstances, I am rescheduling my flight to Melbourne and only have two options.

Either I can come in mid September or early November. As a solo traveller for the first time, I'm looking to maximise the time and budget I have there, so, my question is: Which is a better month to come (Sept or Nov), in terms of :

a) Weather?

more sunny days than rainy days? Not too hot not too cold? best possible weather?

b) Prices?

Hostels in early Nov seem to hike up tremendously due to Melbourne Cup compared to the prices in September. But if things are usually more exciting in Nov than in Sept, I may choose Nov as well.. but would need your opinion on this.

c) Activities/Events?

Which month usually have more events and livelier? More backpackers/travellers, perhaps?

Your feedback is very much appreciated :)

Shelly

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
reviews: 36
1. Re: Melbourne: September(mid) or Nov(1st week)

In terms of the weather, early November is definately better. It's not only warmer, but the days are longer and there is daylight saving also. However, there is more likely hood of heavier showers in November, but they will not be that often.

You are right about hotel prices for the Melbourne cup period. Hotel prices will be 2 or 3 times more than most other times. However, there is much activity and the city is buzzing and full of tourists.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 17
2. Re: Melbourne: September(mid) or Nov(1st week)

Another advantage to September is that you'll be here during the AFL finals, and if there's one thing Victorians love, it's finals footy - if you are into sport at all and can get to a finals game at the MCG the atmosphere is electric.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 83
3. Re: Melbourne: September(mid) or Nov(1st week)

The Melb Cup is the 1st Tuesday in November (the 5th this year) and as mentioned, that first weekend can be a bit pricey for rooms if you stay in the CBD. Also note there is string on races over 8 days, part of the Spring Racing Carnival finishing on Saturday 10th. If you chose closer to the 10th or later you might save on accommodation. The Spring Racing Carnival has a more international flavour and its Sat/Tue/Thur/Sat where the AFL finals is more focused on the weekends & depends on which two teams are involved as its a national competition and will involve teams from other states.

September has the AFL finals as mentioned but there is also the Royal Melbourne Show (21 Sept - 5 Oct) - http://www.royalshow.com.au/ & the Melbourne Spring Fashion Week (2-9 Sept).

Sept weather is pretty good, low to mid 20C and November is getting closer to the 30C mark, might get to low 30s, the nights will also be warmer, 10-12C in Sept and mid teens in Nov.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 28
4. Re: Melbourne: September(mid) or Nov(1st week)

I would say both September and November weather is nice. Heading into Dec/Jan is too hot for my liking, I find myself seeking refuge in air-conditioned places. And the autumn/winter months are usually wet and sometimes a bit windy. That said, out summer this year wasn't very hot. In Melbourne you can experience all seasons in one day =P so bring a cardigan and an umbrella just in case. But usually Sept and Novemeber are lovely and mild.

In addition to what people have said, there are always festivals and cultural events going on in Melbourne for the locals, I can never keep up.

www.onlymelbourne.com.au/melbourne.php?id=792

eventfinder.com.au/lifestyle/…melbourne-cbd

The Melbourne Cup is a public holiday. Apart from watching the races and placing bets, many go to the Melbourne Cup for the fashion (girls dress up with fascinators and classy dresses and guys in suits) and it can end up being a bit of a drunken affair by the end of it all. However, it is a much loved event and it attracts international celebrities every year. Otherwise many of us just end up watching the race on tv and hoping that our horse has won!

And yes there is that "one day in September" for the footy grand finals, expect public transport to be a bit fuller on that day! ;)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
reviews: 527
5. Re: Melbourne: September(mid) or Nov(1st week)

Both September & November can be exciting in Melbourne. November will be a little warmer than September.

Both months are busy times in Melbourne so I would just go with what suits yourself the best. Do some research on hotels on the internet & also on the hotel websites you may be interested in & see if you can pick up a deal. You do have plenty of time for planning ahead.

Also look on Wotif Specials & mystery deals - ie

wotif.com/hotels/australia-melbourne-hotels.…

6. Re: Melbourne: September(mid) or Nov(1st week)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 20, 2014