We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit Great Ocean Road (GOR) and Philip Island in one go

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
HK
Visit Great Ocean Road (GOR) and Philip Island in one go

I will return to Melbourne from Tasmania on 27 Nov around noon. I want to visit both GOR and Philip Island in one go by self driving from 27 Nov around 2-3 pm to 28 Nov night. Is it possible ?

Will it be a best way if we drive first to Philip Island to see the penguine and then stay overnight near Philip island and then drive to the GOR in the next day. Any accommodation can be recommended and what's the price? How much we need to pay to see the penguine and where? How much of the tolls we need to pay for this driving and how to pay the tolls.

Thanks.

Annie

annieyip22@yahoo.com.hk

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
reviews: 12
1. Re: Visit Great Ocean Road (GOR) and Philip Island in one go

No, it's not possible in that short amount of time. Please look at Google maps to get an idea of distances & driving times.

You need to get from Phillip Island (which is East of Melbourne) to Torquay (which is West of Melbourne), by either driving through the city or taking the ferry from Sorrento to Queenscliff (which your car rental company may not allow). This will take you roughly 3 hours (depending on time of day) JUST to get to the start of the GOR. We generally don't recommend self driving the GOR from Melbourne in one day as it's a LOT of driving. The roads are windey & mostly single lane, plus you will want to stop to actually see the sights & views.

You need to choose one or the other.

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 47
2. Re: Visit Great Ocean Road (GOR) and Philip Island in one go

It's over 140 km to Melbourne to PI.

Over 350 km from PI to the Great Ocean Road

Over 200 km from the GOR back to Melbourne.

No need to worry about accommodation - if you do this in 24 hours you'll be on the road so long you'll hardly have time to sleep :-))

As ellenwillow says, choose one or the other or allow at least and extra day or two.

In the very shorts space of time you have, I would choose Philip Island.

If you want to do the GOR in a day, a tour would be safer and more enjoyable as you will be able to nap on the way back when the bus travels along the relatively uninteresting inland route.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
reviews: 41
3. Re: Visit Great Ocean Road (GOR) and Philip Island in one go

Possible - maybe, recommended - definitely not.

As the others have said you may need to pick one or the other.

If you really want to push it you may be able to drive to Phillip Island and back to Melb the first day (depending on what time sunset is) - or take a tour if the timing works. Then take a one day GOR tour the next day. I would not recommend driving this after a late night at Phillip Island - with a tour it doesn't matter if you get tired at the end of the day plus you can soak in the scenery without having to watch the road.

HK
4. Re: Visit Great Ocean Road (GOR) and Philip Island in one go

Thanks all for the information.

HK
5. Re: Visit Great Ocean Road (GOR) and Philip Island in one go

Thanks all for the information.

Maidstone, United...
reviews: 29
6. Re: Visit Great Ocean Road (GOR) and Philip Island in one go

We have recently returned having spent 6 days on the GOR going up as far as Port Fairy. There are so many view points, places of interest, fabulous beaches, towns, stunning sceanery and of course wildlife, we could easily have spent several more days to really do it justice. Yes it's driveable in a day but to really appreciate it you need to stop and exploor, if only just a little bit.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
reviews: 12
7. Re: Visit Great Ocean Road (GOR) and Philip Island in one go

I would NOT be trying to drive the GOR in a day if you had been to see the Penguins on Phillip Island the night before. You will be tired & it's just too much driving, which actually can make it dangerous for you & the other drivers on the road. Fatigue is one of the main causes of accidents on country roads. Plus we have big fines for driving over the speed limit, even by 5kms, so speeding to get to your destination can also be very expensive.

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
reviews: 154
8. Re: Visit Great Ocean Road (GOR) and Philip Island in one go

Last time we did the Philip Island and GOR combo, we took a week, and still didn't see it all and felt rushed. I agree with ellewillow about doing the GOR in a day, many do, but I don't see how they see what you're suppose to see, as bonnie said, they're so much to see (sorry about all the see's)

HK
9. Re: Visit Great Ocean Road (GOR) and Philip Island in one go

Thanks very much for your sharings. So, if i drive to GOR in the afternoon of 27 Nov start around 3pm. and then continue driving on 28 Nov. Where should we stay overnight and how many hours to reach it from Melbourne. If we hold Hong Kong driving license of class 1and 2, can we drive a 10 persons minivan in Australia (Melbourne, Tasmania and Cairns).

10. Re: Visit Great Ocean Road (GOR) and Philip Island in one go

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, May 04, 2014