We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pros and cons of Melbourne in the summer months

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Moscow, Russia
Pros and cons of Melbourne in the summer months

Hi,

IYO, What are the pros and cons of melbourne in summer and considering everything is it the best time of year to be in melbourne?

cons i already know - booked out accomodation, tourist desinations crowded with tourists

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 3
1. Re: Pros and cons of Melbourne in the summer months

A pro if you are looking for hot weather - it will generally be hot, with some days VERY hot and some others just pleasantly warm - great for beaches/swimming and other outdoor activities. You are still likely to get some rainy days too though. If you enjoy sport there will be cricket, the Australian Tennis Open, horse racing, etc. There is often a variety of outdoor music festivals over the summer. With daylight saving it will be light until around 8.30 - 9pm. If you are here over Christmas, the Myer Christmas windows are worth a look, especially if you have children.

If you don't like hot weather, then our summer temperatures will be a con for you. Personally I think Autumn in Melbourne is the best time of year - milder temperatures, and generally little rain & little wind.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
reviews: 24
2. Re: Pros and cons of Melbourne in the summer months

Apart from the cons you are already aware of, there aren't really any others that spring to mind. For locals or people visiting longer term, January is a quiet month business wise with so many people taking holidays, but that oughtn't affect you. As long as you are prepared for 40degC+ days being a possibility, it's a great time of year to be in Melbourne.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
reviews: 35
3. Re: Pros and cons of Melbourne in the summer months

From late December to late January is the peak holiday season. The main part of December and all of February, are not holiday periods and therefore, most holiday destionations, such as the Great Ocean Road, are quiet. Sure the weather can be hot - very hot - the temperatures can vary greatly from 20 - 45 degrees, so you will not only get hot days, but also cool days.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 13
4. Re: Pros and cons of Melbourne in the summer months

January can be an expensive time to visit due to the Australian Open - check the dates to avoid if possible. Unless you like a day out at the tennis - tickets are not actually that expensive and its a fun day out!

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 48
5. Re: Pros and cons of Melbourne in the summer months

If you can come in March It would it is still warm, our school holidays have finished so the tourist spots are less crowded but anytime from November is a great time to visit.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
reviews: 1,132
6. Re: Pros and cons of Melbourne in the summer months

The weather bureau (www.bom.gov.au) is unlikely to agree with me but I now find late February to early March to be consistently the hottest time of the year in Melbourne. Perhaps it is that many of us expect summer to have finished by then. In contrast, December and even part of January is not necessarily hot everyday. Navy35 is correct to suggest that temperatures vary widely.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 9
7. Re: Pros and cons of Melbourne in the summer months

You get the pattern in Melbourne of rising temps, then bang it drops and rains and starts its slow rise again. Feb/Mar this year was far too hot for my liking. It really depends what kind of weather you like. Plenty of people love the heat.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 28
8. Re: Pros and cons of Melbourne in the summer months

Summer hot weather pros:

Taking refuge at the beaches! And remember to apply sunscreen and use good sun protection :)

Summer nights are lovely

There are often night markets during the summer some that come to mind are St Kilda Night market and the Victoria Market Suzuki market (which is a food market)

Cons: if you are unlucky the temperatures can be unbearable without air con, but if you do hit days like this just head indoors!

That said we had a strangely cool Summer this year. You never know with Melbourne!

Moscow, Russia
9. Re: Pros and cons of Melbourne in the summer months

Thanks for the replies.

Is there any humidity in Melbourne or is it really just the power of the blazing sun. Like a dry heat hairdryer type. I actually don't mind that.

It's worst when there is humidity. I've live in Toronto and it's horrendous. You need salt tablets you lose so much water.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 28
10. Re: Pros and cons of Melbourne in the summer months

You might get the odd few days where there is humidity but we generally experience dry hot summers