We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels in Melbourne CBD

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Irvine, CA
reviews: 2
Hotels in Melbourne CBD

I will be in Melbourne for three days in May with my 19 year old son. Would appreciate recommendations of staying at either the Mantra on Little Bourke or Stamford Hotel. Both have about the same daily rates for 1 bedroom with two twins. Any other preferred hotels?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
reviews: 42
1. Re: Hotels in Melbourne CBD

My strong preference between the two, would be Stamford.

Ive stayed at both and although the others may disagree, the two are distinctly different, in style and product.

They are both well presented, but I feel the service is superior at the Stamford.

Edited: 2:34 pm, April 06, 2013
Irvine, CA
2. Re: Hotels in Melbourne CBD

Thanks for your reply - -any other hotels you feel I should look into in the same category as these two?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
3. Re: Hotels in Melbourne CBD

Are you wishing specifically for One Bedroom - Apartment Hotels?

Mantra Southbank, Oaks on Collins, are the other two I know well. However, if youre merely after a Twin configuration, but dont mind more traditional 'hotel' layout without kitchenettes etc, there are plenty of hotels in the Melbourne CBD, as good if not better.

Irvine, CA
4. Re: Hotels in Melbourne CBD

We don't need to kitchen, but do prefer one bedroom (with 2 beds) so I would appreciate your suggestions. Looking for rate around 200-220 per night

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
5. Re: Hotels in Melbourne CBD

For that price range, there's plenty of great hotels to choose from.

Just so you're aware, the moment you request 'one bedroom' technically it indicates a seperate sleeping area - which effectively makes it either an apartment, or in a traditional hotel, a suite.

Irvine, CA
6. Re: Hotels in Melbourne CBD

It need not be a one bedroom, but I do prefer some extra space. I don't want to be in a small hotel room.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 29
7. Re: Hotels in Melbourne CBD

You do realise that TA has a hotel search engine ?

You can also use multi last minute booking sites to search and compare (most of us use this method then go direct to the hotels own page to book) ie

wotif.com.au

quickbeds.com.au

needitnow.com.au

lastminute.com.au

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
reviews: 142
8. Re: Hotels in Melbourne CBD

wotif is often a failure when it comes to twin beds. Many hotels don't seem to list their twins with them

Not sure if this is true.

I've been staying at the Grand Hyatt in their twin rooms and have been quite happy.

Hilton South wharf has a 2 bedded room but it is quite tight for space.

Make sure when you book direct you confirm via email you will get a twin, sometimes its a challenge as they assume you are a couple (ie not kids travelling with parents as additonal room)

Another hint is to request a non interconnecting room, lots of twins are in this category so you get neighbour noise thru the door.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
9. Re: Hotels in Melbourne CBD

"wotif is often a failure when it comes to twin beds. Many hotels don't seem to list their twins with them

Not sure if this is true."

I think you're spot on with that observation GW. Hotels tend to lead in with their most popular rooms first, then the rest. Twin are often displayed less, as hotels don't have as many of those configurations in their inventory and if the demand gets too high, they struggle and have to end up splitting Kings - which is a nightmare during busy periods.

Very good point.

Edited: 3:42 am, April 07, 2013
Irvine, CA
10. Re: Hotels in Melbourne CBD

Thanks all for your replies -- I have been checking first with TA search engine and then contacting hotels directly via websites. Have found that when contacting hotels and asking for rates specifically for twin beds that most will match their lowest online rates or be with $10-20. I specifically note on any request for twin beds that I am a mother traveling with teen age son (and thus have it in print for when I arrive) and will also recheck with any hotels a few days prior to arriving to remind them again.

With regards to Melbourne CBD, any comments you might provide about being on Exhibition St/Collins side of downtown verses Southern Cross station/Bourke side of town would be appreciated -- particularly with regards to being out at night -- we do want night-life fun, but do want to be comfortable walking as well.