We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phillip Island, Mornington Pen & Great Ocean Road Itinerary

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur...
Phillip Island, Mornington Pen & Great Ocean Road Itinerary

Hi all,

We will be travelling with 3 kids during the 1st week of June. After a couple of days in Melb, I had an initial itinerary as follows:

Day 1 - Melb to Phillip Island (overnight)

Day 2- Phillip Island - Sorrento (o/n) - incl. Moonlit Sanc/ Enchanted Maze/etc.

Day 3 - Sorrento - Queenscliff - Apollo Bay (o/n)

Day 4 - A.Bay - Port Campbell - Colac - Melb

I now realised that Day 4 (Fri) will coincide with the Queen's b'day weekend and most accommodations will be a minimum 3 nights.

I am now thinking of doing the GOR - Mornington Pen - Phillip Island - Melb as it is easier to get 1 night stays in PI. Would this work? I am also unsure of the best route to take.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 23
1. Re: Phillip Island, Mornington Pen & Great Ocean Road Itinerary

Are you leaving Oz on the Saturday..if so the problem will occur which ever way you go....and the way you've written it, it looks like Day 4 you'll be back in Melbourne...not in either Apollo Bay or Phillip Island..

Have you investigated accommodation options yet to see if there will be a problem?

There's really only one fairly obvious route to do this trip...unless you want to take more back routes lo PI and around the Mornington Peninsula.....and you've identified the ferry...

Kuala Lumpur...
2. Re: Phillip Island, Mornington Pen & Great Ocean Road Itinerary

Thanks for your reply. We are leaving Sun but would like to be back in Melbourne by Saturday. Also, since we're able to get accommodation in PI on Day 3, my revised itinerary may be:

Day 1 - Melb to Apollo Bay along the GOR

Day 2 - AB - Port Campbell -Peterborough - Colac - Queenscliff - Sorrento

Day 3 - Sorrento - PI (Penguin parade)

Day 4 - PI - Melb

Wondering if this itinerary is ok.

Is Day 2 achievable, seeing that we will have to catch the ferry?

Where would be good stops along the Mornington Pen on Day 3?

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 3
3. Re: Phillip Island, Mornington Pen & Great Ocean Road Itinerary

Day 2 will be pushing it, and the last ferry crossing is likely to be 6pm. You might consider staying overnight in Queenscliff and catching an early ferry the next morning - this will still leave plenty of time to get to PI.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 23
4. Re: Phillip Island, Mornington Pen & Great Ocean Road Itinerary

Morticia's suggestion is spot on,....you will be flying to do Day 2 by 6pm

Things in the Mornington Peninsula that I like...

take the road around to Cape Shank and head up the east side of the Peninsula...less development, great views, the scenic walk

The McClelland sculpture garden at Langwarrin is interesting if you're into art....the survey is on while you'r e visiting....

http://www.mcclellandgallery.com/index.php?prfPageId=McClelland-Sculpture-Survey-Award....it's wonderful...good cafe there too....

Edited: 11:08 pm, March 26, 2013
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
reviews: 37
5. Re: Phillip Island, Mornington Pen & Great Ocean Road Itinerary

Day 2 is way too busy.

I've had a quick look on booking.com and there is plenty of accommodation available in Apollo Bay for just one night that weekend. I would go back to your original plan if you can.

Happy travelling

6. Re: Phillip Island, Mornington Pen & Great Ocean Road Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 28, 2014