We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental and toll road

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 5
Car rental and toll road

hi

I will be renting a car during my trip to Melbourne in apr. how do I go abt travelling on toll roads and paying for it? I have read it up but it sounds confusing. does the rental car comes with the gadget or I can get a pre-paid card and tap on the booth whenever I pass by?

thank you...

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 52
1. Re: Car rental and toll road

You can request a "gadget" with your rental car. There is generally a small (few dollars) charge (check the terms and conditions) and your credit card is billed with the tolls as you pass through them. For peace of mind the small charge is worth it IMO whether you end up using the toll roads or not.

There's nothing to "tap"- no toll booths.

Edited: 12:38 pm, March 25, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 46
2. Re: Car rental and toll road

I handled it by logging on to the website after we had rented the car and done our driving for the day and just paying the fee online after the fact. I almost forgot though, so important to make sure you take care of it or the rental company will ding you big time.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 1
3. Re: Car rental and toll road

Most rentals come with the 'gadget' already fitted. You only pay the extra fee, a few dollars, when you go through a toll gate, plus the toll itself. Probably easier than trying to pay online or by phone. But you will pay the extra fee each day you use the toll roads. And yes they are all electronic, no stopping or slowing.

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 5
4. Re: Car rental and toll road

Thanks. How do i pay the toll fees everyday? They will charge to my credit card? Or? As I do not want the hassle to call in and pay as I have read somewhere and in the event I forget I might be fine too.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 52
5. Re: Car rental and toll road

As I said in my first post, you can give your credit card details to the rental company (well, you have to anyway) and arrange that "your credit card is billed with the tolls as you pass through them. " No mess, no fuss.

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 2
6. Re: Car rental and toll road

Hi Robin

With my rented car from AVIS, the car comes included with a device (think of our erp card reader) except in Oz, there is no cashcard that u carry around with you, the device will log you in whenever u pass a road with tolls. The device will not show how much toll is incurred (unlike our erp system where it will show the toll amount) but i wouldnt worry too much about it if i were u. U will know how much of tolls u have incurred when u receive your credit card bill a couple of weeks later i suppose. Im still waiting for my credit card bill. Just make sure u get the device from Hertz.

7. Re: Car rental and toll road

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 27, 2014