We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day driving trip to Philip Island

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur...
Day driving trip to Philip Island

Me and my family are travelling to Melbourne by end of May we plan a day trip to visit Philip Island. Would like to find out a bit from some of you who have travelled there.

1. How's the weather like on end of may to beginning of June in Philip Island?

2. We're staying in the Hilton Melbourne we plan to rent a car (from 7:30am - 6:00pm) and visit the island without staying overnight. Is the timing enough for us to venture the island? From what I read the driving from Melbourne city to the island can take about 3 hours (round trip)

Need some advise we're travelling with a 5 years old.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 3
1. Re: Day driving trip to Philip Island

1. Cold, especially for you coming from Malaysia. Dress in layers, make sure you have windproof jackets, hats and gloves. If you plan to see penguins, make sure you take a couple of blankets to seat on, since the seats are pure concrete.

2. Probably. And round trip will be more like 4 hours, more with toilet breaks :)) A lot depends on what you want to do there. At that time of the year you probably won't linger at the beach for too long, but penguins come out at dusk, so if you plan to see them it's going to be a long day. Might be a good idea to get your 5-year old to have a little nap, otherwise you may end up with a tired and cranky kid by the end of the day.

Edited: 8:37 am, March 25, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 1
2. Re: Day driving trip to Philip Island

If you are planning on seeing the penguins they won't be appearing until about 6pm at the end of May so you won't be back in the city until at least 8.30pm. And you need to think about wether you are comfortable driving back to the city on dark, unlit, unfamiliar country roads.

Edited: 9:04 am, March 25, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 38
3. Re: Day driving trip to Philip Island

I've done this a couple of times, although always as an overnight trip. I think its a shame you are not planning to go to the Penguin Parade! This was a significant highlight of the entire trip for my kids. However, staying for the Penguin Parade means an overnight stay on the island, as you won't get away from there until around 8 or 9 pm.

There's certainly enough to do on the island to keep you busy for the day, but, for me anyway, the penguins are a highlight.

4. Re: Day driving trip to Philip Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 27, 2014