We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving from Melbourne to halls gap

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 12
driving from Melbourne to halls gap

Hi, I am thinking of driving from Melbourne to Halls Gap in June. But I'm quite a novice (meaning lousy) driver. What are the road conditions like? Is it wet or winding or narrow? Are there frequent stops or heavy traffic?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Broadford, Australia
reviews: 40
1. Re: driving from Melbourne to halls gap

Hi,

The road from Melbourne to Halls Gap is pretty much 2 lane Freeway all the way to Ballarat, single lane highway with some overtaking lanes to Ararat/Stawell and a good single lane sealed road to Halls Gap from there.

The traffic compared to Singapore will be light once you're out of Melbourne and unless something like a traffic accident occurs there should be no hold ups on your journey.

The road will be wet if it has been raining.

You will need an international driving permit. We drive on the left hand side and the speed limit on some Freeways is 110km/h and on highways 100km/hr. Built up areas vary so keep your eyes open for the signs. Also for the highway patrols and speed cameras as speed limits are enforced to within 3 km/hr of the posted limit.

It will take about 3 hours from Melbourne to Halls Gap.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 75
2. Re: driving from Melbourne to halls gap

Hi Foomy

The easiest way for you to travel will be along the Western Highway via Ballarat, Ararat and Stawell.

Once out of the city this is a major highway so it is wide, well maintained and fairly straight.

June is our winter so the road could be wet from rain - however this will not cause the road conditions to deteriorate in any way as it is a verey good road.

There are no stops and the traffic is not heavy

You may find problems getting out of the city though as you will be in city traffic - can be heavy in areas and of course there are traffic lights etc.

If you really are a novice I would be more concerned about the city driving if I were you.

If you are hiring a car - hire an automatic not a manual this will take away one distraction.

Good luck

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 23
3. Re: driving from Melbourne to halls gap

the sign posts through Ballarat are not that clear to get to Hall's Gap...friends warned me about it and they were right!!!

I would suggest getting a GPS as well to make the trip - it'll help with the less easy parts like driving through the city and Ballarat

Broadford, Australia
reviews: 40
4. Re: driving from Melbourne to halls gap

It is not necessary to drive into Ballarat, as the freeway bypasses it.

If you do happen to stop off in Ballarat, you would need to follow signs to Horsham as Halls Gap wouldn't feature on signs that far away.

However if your first language is not that of the country you are visiting, a GPS in your language may be a good thing for any traveller.

Cheers,

Fay

Port Vila, Vanuatu
reviews: 19
5. Re: driving from Melbourne to halls gap

Hi Foomy, The only part that is winding road is between Ararat and Halls Gap but it is not very far and as long as you take your time, you should be fine. It is possible to get snow (very unlikely but could happen) or ice (unlikely but possible at this time of year) on the roads around Halls Gap. However, you should be fine if you just take your time and ask locals if you think there may be a problem. The Grampians are one of my favourite places in Australia and they are well worth the visit. Enjoy your stay!

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 12
6. Re: driving from Melbourne to halls gap

Thank you everyone for your prompt and helpful advice!

Wow there seems to be like a thousand things to pay attention to, wet roads, directions, road signs, city driving, seed cameras... I may consider driving around Halls Gap instead and just taking train there from Melbourne... Live to see Australia another day :)

Thanks for your help guys!

Port Vila, Vanuatu
reviews: 19
7. Re: driving from Melbourne to halls gap

Foomy, don't let all of this put you off. Halls Gap is well worth a visit and providing you take you time and don't break any road laws, you will be fine! The other option is to consider catching the training to Ballarat and then hiring a car from there - at least then the trip is shorter and you will miss the city traffic. If you are looking for somewhere reasonable to stay in Halls Gap, the YHA hostel is fantastic!

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta
reviews: 81
8. Re: driving from Melbourne to halls gap

Really the drive from Melbourne to Halls Gap is very easy. Just follow the Western Freeway to Ballarat. You can either bypass Ballarat via the Freeway or go through Ballarat. If you have time go through Ballarat and have a look at the town and the things it has to offer including the area around Lake Wendoree. If you have plenty of time spend 1/2 a day at least at Soverign Hill which is the recreation of an old 19th century gold mining town.

After Ballarat follow the road to Stawell/Horsham. It is now the Western Highway (there are extensions to the freeway in construction. You will go through some smaller towns and Ararat. When you get to Staweel take the Halls Gap (Grampians National Park) turn off which is well signposted. It is only about 25 KM to Halls Gap from there.

Melboune
reviews: 129
9. Re: driving from Melbourne to halls gap

I agree with BigW - the drive is not hard once you're out of Melbourne, and a car in the Grampians would be very convenient. Even leaving Melbourne isn't too hard, so long as you've checked which route you'll be following. A GPS might be helpful. I also like to have a hard copy map, to get a better idea of the "big picture".

One of the posts mentioned an international permit, but if your Singapore licence is in English, you don't need this to drive in Australia (see http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Licences/NewToVictoria/OverseasDriversLicences.htm)

Frankston, Australia
10. Re: driving from Melbourne to halls gap

Thanks everyone, I am a novice and I live in Melbourne, just dont want to get on the wrong road by taking the wrong exit. Excited but nervous

Netty