We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walk from Southern Cross station to Hotel Sophia

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland Region...
reviews: 11
Walk from Southern Cross station to Hotel Sophia

Hi,

We'll be arriving in Melbourne around 9pm this coming Thursday. We're on a budget so we'll be taking the skybus to Southern Cross station and then were thinking about walking to our our hotel, Hotel Sophia in King Street. I suspect this will be around 10.30pm? I hear King Street is a bit of a dodgy area. Is it safe to make this walk around that time or should we be considering other options?

Thanks

Melboune
reviews: 101
1. Re: Walk from Southern Cross station to Hotel Sophia

Hotel Sophia is at 277 King St (on the corner of Little Lonsdale St, I think). The main club precinct is a couple of blocks down, around the Flinders Lane intersection. If there are are a couple of you, it should be OK to walk. It's not far, basically cross over Spencer St outside the Skybus terminal, turn left towards Lonsdale St. Go one block along Lonsdale St (there's a building site on the right hand side, so it may be easier to walk on the left hand side), then turn left when you hit King St.

We'll be interested to hear what you think of Hotel Sophia - it gets mixed reviews.

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 41
2. Re: Walk from Southern Cross station to Hotel Sophia

Thursday night at 10:30 you should be fine. King St get seriously dodgy much later and usually weekends.

Your hotel is away from the nightclub strip.

Enjoy Melbourne.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
reviews: 28
3. Re: Walk from Southern Cross station to Hotel Sophia

You could also check out ... http://jetbus.com.au/melbourne/booking.php ... I believe they are cheaper than the bus especially if you buy a return and will drop you right at your hotel front door.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 14
4. Re: Walk from Southern Cross station to Hotel Sophia

Walk on the path along Southern Cross Station 10.30pm is fine. It is usually more quiet on that side of the city but for your ease of mind, simply walk towards the direction of DFO and Coles and cross the road at either Lonsdale or Little Lonsdale Streets.

*note* Hotel Sophia is so-so... the area there is a little 'wierd' at night. There are better accommodations close by really. Ibis just not far off. Just a suggestion - Hotel Claremont is worth a check out. It may not be right smack in the city but this is a good budget traveller's hostel in South Yarra (inner city suburbs). It is a very good location to access to various cafes, restaurants and entertainment in South Yarra, Prahran and Windsor. ALL WITHIN WALKING DISTANCE. Best of all, you can still access into the city very very easily as Hotel Claremont is just 3mins away from South Yarra Station and soooOooOo close to the city. It's also safer and definitely more decent than some sleaze joints in the city 'hotels'.

Hope this helps!

Auckland Region...
reviews: 11
5. Re: Walk from Southern Cross station to Hotel Sophia

Thanks for your posts. Yeah, we're not too sure about Hotel Sophia but as I said we were on a budget so we went for what was cheap. I guess at the end of the day we get what we pay for. :-( I'll post a review once we've had the Hotel Sophia experience.

Port Vila, Vanuatu
reviews: 18
6. Re: Walk from Southern Cross station to Hotel Sophia

I think Skybus have a free hotel drop off service so you could try that. However, as other posters have said, you should not have too many problems in that area at that time.

7. Re: Walk from Southern Cross station to Hotel Sophia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 26, 2014