We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do,s and donts for melbourne

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bangalore, India
Do,s and donts for melbourne

I will be coming in month of may to melbourne its my first visit outside india want to know what can i carry in terms of food item or other daily need . Or thier are restirction on the airport . what all shall i be care full about.

rahul

Canberra, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
reviews: 2
1. Re: Do,s and donts for melbourne

Do you have any special dietary requirements? Melbourne is a large and multicultural city so please do not plan for it like an expedition into the outback. For specific information I suggest you do not rely on people's advice about what they think they remember happened when they visited, go to the official government website for full up-to-date details. Yes, the restrictions are strict. But I doubt you will need to bring anything.

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 41
2. Re: Do,s and donts for melbourne

If you bring ANYTHING that can be eaten remember that it MUST be declared to customs.

There is a large Indian community in Melbourne and a number of Indian food stores that will stock anything and everything your heart desires. So worry not!

Tasmania
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
reviews: 71
3. Re: Do,s and donts for melbourne

This is the government webpage of FAQs about what you can and cannot bring: http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/faqs

Bangalore, India
4. Re: Do,s and donts for melbourne

thanks a lot for the link i have some specific questions ..

1 rice can i take or not

2 cereals can i take or not

3 spices or oil (ingredients for cooking)

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 36
5. Re: Do,s and donts for melbourne

Hi Rahul, as mentioned by the other posters, you can get rice, cereals and spices in Melbourne. You will be able to find everything here in the Indian or Asian food grocery stores.

IF it is essential to bring in these items, you MUST declare them to customs or you will face a big fine $340 or prosecution!

Edited: 1:25 am, March 14, 2013
Melbourne
reviews: 5
6. Re: Do,s and donts for melbourne

no to rice

no to cereal

no to spices

maybe to oil if it is a new unopened bottle.

All of these things are readily available in Australia, both local and foreign brands. As someone posted earlier Melbourne is a very multicultural city with lots of Indian food stores if you are wanting to find something you buy at home.

Australia is extremely strict with food products and only allows some processed, packaged foods to be allowed into the country, things like chocolate, sweets, biscuits etc. Anything that contains grains or nuts that aren't highly processed, or any fresh foods wont be let in.

On the plane prior to arrival you will be given a delaration card with some questions to answer yes or no. One of them is "Do you have any food products". You must answer this honestly (as bags are xrayed and sniffer dogs inspect them and they will find food anyway) and if you have lied on the form you will be fined and they will throw the food away. There is no way to sneak food into Australia so don't try, you will get caught.

South Pole
reviews: 39
7. Re: Do,s and donts for melbourne

passenger arrival card:

immi.gov.au/managing-australias-borders/bord…

Bangalore, India
8. Re: Do,s and donts for melbourne

thanks a lot

means my way is clear i can take packed food items but not wht is mentions by me.

But where can i buy these things specials spcie of indian origin else being a vegetrain way ahead might be difficult.

sydney
reviews: 76
9. Re: Do,s and donts for melbourne

Where are you planning on staying ... if we know this, I am sure someone will be able to give you the address of the nearest Indian grocery store and local restaurants. YOu really do not need to bring food of any kind with you.

Being a vegetarian does not make it difficult to eat in Melbourne - thousands of Indians living in Melbourne are vegetarians.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
reviews: 28
10. Re: Do,s and donts for melbourne

Here's a small selection .... singh.com.au/indian-grocery-stores-in-melbou…