We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suit Hire - near city centre

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Livingston, United...
Suit Hire - near city centre

Hi,

My wife and I are travelling from Scotland in Sept, and I am desperate to make it to an AFL finals game; we'll be in Melbourne during the semi finals week. It seems the best way to make sure we can get tickets, is to book a dining package. But the MCG will be a dinner jacket & tie event, and we'll be in the middle of a 5-wk trip so hadn't planned on bringing formal wear!

Can anyone recommend a suit hire place which would be easy enough for us to get to from central Melbourne (we're likely to be staying around Flinders St).

The cheaper the better also!

Thanks in advance

Melbourne
reviews: 13
1. Re: Suit Hire - near city centre

For every final other than the Grand Final, you will be able to get a ticket without having to buy a dinner package.

Livingston, United...
2. Re: Suit Hire - near city centre

Hi Secco,

That doesn't seem to be what the AFL are telling me! They have restricted the selling of packages by agents this year, and are virtually doing it all themselves.

They have said that it's Corp tickets, then AFL Gold members with a club affiliation to home team, then AFL Gold members affiliated to away team, then it's home club members, then away club members.

And there's a waiting list for Gold membership - they have thousands; more than there would be tickets.

I am a club member and have been for 9 years (not sure if I should name the club!), but as I am overseas I don't get any ticket privelages. Even if I upgraded, I'd be relying on my club being in that particular semi final, and that's pretty low odds.

It really would mean a lot to me to make it to the game; I (secretly!) managed to select our travel dates around being in Melbourne over a weekend, so that we might get to a game. I guess there would be people re-selling tickets on the day, but I just don't know if I want to take the chance of missing out.

Do you have suggestions on where I should try for tickets?

Thanks

Melbourne
3. Re: Suit Hire - near city centre

For starters, there is no guarantee that there will even be a final in Melbourne on the weekend you are here, although that is unlikely in the 1st week of finals. So I'm not sure how you can buy a ticket now.

The only way I can think of is to become an AFL silver member. That will give you access to any final in Melbourne in the 1st 2 weeks of the finals, no matter who is playing.

PS - I can't remember a final other than the grand final being a sell out.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 83
4. Re: Suit Hire - near city centre

if you google suit hire you should find what you are looking for. Spurling might be a name to start with. Enjoy the football.

Livingston, United...
5. Re: Suit Hire - near city centre

Thanks for the replies.

Secco - the AFL are selling their dining packages now. If, say Freo and Swans are at home in Semis week, they refund the booking. It's an MCG package (I might suggest the AFL make more money if there's Melbourne teams, a Black and White one even, playing at home in the finals...).

For regular semi finals tickets, we have to wait until the week before the game to try and purchase. But we only get to Melbourne on the Thursday night, it just seems a gamble.

I just had a reply from AFL membership services - it's $689 to join as an AFL Silver member. That's $200 more than the top dining package at MCG! I could pretty much buy a suit and ship it home for that!

Millsie,

Thanks! I did google initially but was getting mostly results outside the city centre. One in Carlton was the closest, fairly near, but they haven't replied to emails. I will try Spurling, they seem to have a store very close and $99 seems decent for a hire.

Melbourne
reviews: 7
6. Re: Suit Hire - near city centre

Myer in the Melbourne CBD can also arrange suit hire through Spurling. It will probably end up more expensive than going direct, but it might be easier for you to get to.

www.myer.com.au/services_formal-hire.aspx

Btw - I agree with Secco. You'll have no problem in getting a general public ticket to a semi final if there is one played at the MCG. The AFL only have a certain amount of package tickets to sell through themselves which is why they're making it sound like they're hard to get. Participating club members also have a completely seperate allocation which is released to them in advance, and then there is another seperate allocation for general public tickets. However if you want to go the way of the MCG dining package to lock it all in now then good luck, I hope you get a good feed and a good game!

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 14
7. Re: Suit Hire - near city centre

If you're staying at a hotel with a concierge desk, you could put them to work and get them to find you a suit place, they might even be able to arrange delivery to the hotel.

Melbourne
8. Re: Suit Hire - near city centre

What weekend are you going to be here.

Livingston, United...
9. Re: Suit Hire - near city centre

We're in Melbourne over weekend of 13-14-15th. We arrive at night on the 12th, move on I think on the Tuesday.

I saw stats on last year's Semis - one was in Adelaide but th MCG one had 61,000 or thereabouts, so there would still have been tickets. Up in the back tier I expect though.

10. Re: Suit Hire - near city centre

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, February 21, 2014