We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbourne Experts Please HELP!!

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
reviews: 4
Melbourne Experts Please HELP!!

Hi all,

My hubby and I are visiting Melbourne next month for 4 nights and I am sooo confused about where to stay. I have narrowed it down to 3 places and would like your opinion. We aren't too concerned about major department store shopping, more boutiques and outlets. We want somewhere which is easily accessible to restaurants for breakfast/lunch and dinner. So the places I have narrowed down to due to budget are:

Punthill South Yarra Grand - Many reviews say this place is great because its close Toorak Rd and Chappel St?

Royce Hotel - 379 St Kilda Rd,Melbourne

Citadines on Bourke, Melbourne

Any suggestions or opinions I am definitely open to read!

Thanks in advance :)

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 56
1. Re: Melbourne Experts Please HELP!!

Docklands is nice :)

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 40
2. Re: Melbourne Experts Please HELP!!

Well, it really depends, doesn't it, on what else you plan to do and whether or not you will be driving or relying on Public transport.

But surely, if it's the same money, you'd stay in the CBD. Unless you had a compelling reason not to (eg had a car, as city parking can be expensive). That way you can head off in any direction by train. Or tram.

If all you want to do is boutique shop, then I suppose being closer to Chapel St and Greville St might be better, but it's not hard to get there from the CBD anyway. Even by taxi won't be too expensive if you leave after morning peak time.

Melbourne, Australia
3. Re: Melbourne Experts Please HELP!!

If you want to be in the thick of the CBD I would choose Citadines on Bourke, Melbourne. You are very close to China town here and many other restaurants. There is also Parliament station and trams close by. In staying it depends what you want to do during your Melbourne stay. If you are around on a Wednesday there is the Queen Victoria night market which is great if you are into trying different food. If the weather is nice a visit to St kilda is also a great trip to get out of the city and have a walk along the beach and is not too far by tram.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 5
4. Re: Melbourne Experts Please HELP!!

If you want to be closer to boutiques and restaurants I would probably put Royce Hotel at the bottom of your list. St.Kilda Rd is mostly about offices, and restaurants/cafes there cater mostly for lunch crowd, not much in the evenings... It is at the end of Toorak Rd, but not much shopping activity happens at that end. The only good thing going for that address imo, is the multitude of trams going up and down St. Kilda Rd and good parks nearby. I would go for Punthill, they are right in the heart of what you plan to be doing - shopping and restaurants. Though I am a bit concerned that they are right opposite railway lines - hope they've got good soundproofing and your room is at the back of the property! Can't say much about Citadine - CBD - tick, shops - tick, transport -tick... Toss-up between Citadine and Punthill :))

Toowoomba
reviews: 8
5. Re: Melbourne Experts Please HELP!!

Citadines on Bourke, Melbourne is in the middle of all the food and shops. Free city trams nearby to get to most parts of CBD. Out of the three, it would be best for location.

We stayed at Darling Towers on Collins just before Christmas, it was good and relatively cheap for 2 bedroom suite with kitchen and living area. Would recommend it, as we have used it twice. We keep a blog of our travels for friends, but also as a record of what was good and not so good, you are welcome to view it if you like: http://marendyblog.blogspot.com.au/

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
reviews: 43
6. Re: Melbourne Experts Please HELP!!

The Royce hotel, although is in a good area, it will not suit your needs. As has been said, it is not near shopping and restaurants - compared to the other two hotels you have mentioned. I would stay in the city, where you are more central. As well as visting Prahan/South Yarra area, also visit Fitzroy and Collingwood area, in particular, Smith and Brunswicks streets for boutique shopping and great cafes.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 41
7. Re: Melbourne Experts Please HELP!!

I would suggest Citadines on Bourke, then you're in the centre of everything. You can easily walk to many of the little lane ways that have boutiques and are only a short distance on public transport to Smith St or Richmond to go to outlets.

Perth, Australia
8. Re: Melbourne Experts Please HELP!!

Thankyou all heaps!! You have been a huge help :)

sydney australia
reviews: 106
9. Re: Melbourne Experts Please HELP!!

I would certainly go with a cbd location - that way all the public transport fans out from the centre - so you can go anywhere easily

Wiltshire, England
reviews: 45
10. Re: Melbourne Experts Please HELP!!

We had a 3 night stay at The Hatton which is close to the botanical gardens and is a lovely little hotel - a good buffet breakfast is included. http://hatton.com.au/