We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wildlife Sanctuaries - One Day - Which Ones?

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Jose
reviews: 35
Wildlife Sanctuaries - One Day - Which Ones?

My wife and I will be in Melbourne for 1 full day in early March as part of our cruise on Celebrity. Of the 16 tours available through the cruise line, 2 wildlife sanctuaries are of greatest interest.

One 5 hour tour visits "Healesville". The other tour...also 5 hours...visits the Serendip Open Range Sanctuary and You Yangs Regional Park.

Which one should we choose and why? Thanks!

Edited: 8:14 pm, January 13, 2013
Geelong, Australia
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
reviews: 11
1. Re: Wildlife Sanctuaries - One Day - Which Ones?

I would probably do healesville which is part of zoos Victoria with a wide range of native wildlife to see. Serendip and the you yangs are close to Geelong and are run by parks vic. Serendip has wetlands and wild kangaroos whilst the you yangs is a small mountain range you would have a chance to see native animals in a natural environment plus good views toward Geelong and the coast.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 20
2. Re: Wildlife Sanctuaries - One Day - Which Ones?

I would recommend healesville sanctuary, as one of best locations to see Australian animals, while you can often see Kangaroos, Emus, and sometimes Koalas in the wild, there you will also be able to see the rarer animals such as Quolls, Platupus, Echidna etc.

San Jose
3. Re: Wildlife Sanctuaries - One Day - Which Ones?

Famrick,

Thanks so much for your opinion. From reading about the area, I was leaning in the direction of Healesville myself.

Rich

San Jose
4. Re: Wildlife Sanctuaries - One Day - Which Ones?

Philnicau-melb,

Thanks for the details on Healesville. It's much appreciated.

Rich

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 10
5. Re: Wildlife Sanctuaries - One Day - Which Ones?

Hi Philnicau-melb

Did you know that at Serendip you can see hundreds of truly wild Eastern Grey Kangaroos - who are not tame, not fenced in, and come and go from the park as they please. It's more like a national park than a sanctuary. At the You Yangs, with a Guide, you can see wild koalas in their natural environment. It's really a totally different experience to Healesville, which is a zoo - a nice zoo, but a zoo with captive animals.

6. Re: Wildlife Sanctuaries - One Day - Which Ones?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 12, 2014