We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Thai in Melbourne CBD

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mildura, Australia
reviews: 42
Good Thai in Melbourne CBD

I will be in Melbourne on the weekend with my 15 year old daughter. We are both big Thai food fans having travelled to Thailand many times and would love to try somewhere nice in Melbourne.

We often find the more expensive ones don't have the best food (some exceptions) so are looking for something mid-range with great food. As we will be using public transport it would need to be somewhere easily accessible from Little Collins St. I know that some of the good ones are in the inner suburbs so am happy to tram it but not wanting to go too far.

Any suggestions appreciated. I've been looking at Cookie, Chin Chin and Red Spice Road but think as there are only 2 of us we wouldn't get to experience many dishes given the prices and not sure if they are more "adult" places with bars rather than a bit more family friendly? Any thoughts on Pok Pok in Docklands?

Any suggestions much appreciated. Thanks.

Edited: 6:13 pm, January 08, 2013
9 replies to this topic
Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 41
1. Re: Good Thai in Melbourne CBD

Our local, Sweet Lemon in York St, South Melbourne is both cheap and excellent.

I usually go for their dinner special - more than enough for one. If there's more of us we share.

It's tiny, local, family friendly and no need to book.

You could walk from Little Collins St (about 20 minutes) or take a tram - #55 that goes along Kingsway. Get on at stop 4 (Collins & William Sts) and get off at stop 115 (Kingsway & York St) then walk about 20 metres up York St.

Mildura, Australia
2. Re: Good Thai in Melbourne CBD

Thanks Eva, very helpful.

PS: I notice my profile says I am in Melbourne, not sure how that happened, I am in Mildura LOL.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 53
3. Re: Good Thai in Melbourne CBD

I like Cookie. Huge Menu and you can order small, medium or large dishes which would mean lots of dishes to try.

Red spice road is wonderful, a little fancy but if you choose to go at lunchtime they have a very reasonable banquet that has quite a few dishes on it - but it's not specifically Thai - rather Asian.

I've heard people talk about Sawasdee http://www.sawasdee.com.au/ being good but I've never been myself.

Melbourne, Australia
4. Re: Good Thai in Melbourne CBD

I can also vouch for Sweet Lemon in Sth Melb it is sensational !! Its only small so suggets to ring to book

Mildura, Australia
5. Re: Good Thai in Melbourne CBD

Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated.

I will be sure to come back and update once we have eaten :)

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 170
6. Re: Good Thai in Melbourne CBD

This reply is a little late..... Just wondering where you ended up going & how was your Thai experience.

You mentioned Pok Pok Thai in Docklands - I went there 2 nights ago & was totally disappointed. For Melbourne standards - it was a letdown. Food was not authentic - everything was so sweet, lacked the punch of the brilliant tangy, sweet/sour, spicy notes that is quintessentiaaly Thai. The classic som tam tasted like it was doused with sugar syrup with no spice. The curries were overly sweet & the restaurant had no spicy chillies. There are much better Thai places around - so you can gv this place a miss. Went to Chin Chin on another night & it was excellent!

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 28
7. Re: Good Thai in Melbourne CBD

I've been to all three and would go with either Cookie or Red Spice Road.. leaning towards Red Spice Road..

Cookie is a pretty popular place amongst my uni friends.. I love the cocktails there! The food is good as well..

However, the pork belly at Red Spice Road is to die for! I would go for either Red Spice Road (a bit classier feel than Cookie) or Cookie. It is really up to you.

I find Chin Chin a bit over-rated. Yes the food is good but the dishes I had were a bit too salty for my liking (and so I haven't returned since). The food there is a fusion of (what tasted like) Vietnamese, Thai and Malaysian. I would say the food is over-priced but the atmostphere is kinda cool. Expect to find a lot of hipsters hanging out there. When I first tried it, Chin Chin had just opened and there were always lines outside the door. Not sure if the hype has dropped now.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
reviews: 457
8. Re: Good Thai in Melbourne CBD

Another vote for Red Spice Road...

Mildura, Australia
9. Re: Good Thai in Melbourne CBD

Thanks everyone, unfortunately we didn't end up eating out much on our weekend as my daughter wasn't well. We did go to Sawasdee in Chinatown as we were passing by on the first night and it was ok but not a great Thai experience. We had high hopes walking in as it looked so much like some of the little places we liked to eat inThailand but the food wasnt anything special. We are going again for a girls weekend in June and will definitely check out the suggestions.

Reply to: Good Thai in Melbourne CBD
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted