We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbourne to Alice springs to esperance and back in 4 weeks

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Incheon Korea
Melbourne to Alice springs to esperance and back in 4 weeks

Hi everyone. My friends are thinking about doing the above trip next month. I would just like some of your opinions on whether this is all doable in the time frame stated 4 weeks. They both seems adamant on doing it! They are two girls in their mid to late 30s, they are active and love driving. However I am concerned about the amount of driving they intend to take on.

This is their rough plan

Melbourne 4 days, great ocean road 6, days, Adelaide 1 night, cooper pedy 1 night, Alice springs 4 nights, cooper pedy 1 night, port Augusta 1 night, ucula 1 night, esperance 5 nights, ucula 1 night, port Augusta, Melbourne 3 nights.

If anyone had any advice for me or them then your thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
reviews: 140
1. Re: Melbourne to Alice springs to esperance and back in 4 weeks

Some of it is doable but a bit rushed in parts which may not give you much time to look at the local sights. I consider that you will need more time for the section Port Augusta to Esperance, the distance is 1870 kms and while it is a very flat run, it is a lot to do per day. Night driving may not be a good option as when I crossed it a month ago the kangaroos were very thick on the road from around Balladonia to Cocklebiddy. This was due to the light rain that was falling off and on and the kangaroos were drinking the water from the puddles on the road. I spoke to one of the crews whose job it is to patrol the highway and remove the bodies that some days there are none around then other days there are quite a few killed by the road trains going through.

Tasmania
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
reviews: 71
2. Re: Melbourne to Alice springs to esperance and back in 4 weeks

My first thought is a question: why do you want to do this? Do you have particular things in Alice and Esperance that you want to see and do?

And is there some reason why you are driving all the way to Central Australia, but just driving past the road to Uluru without stopping to see one of the world's great wonders?

I really think you would be better off taking a little bit longer in the driving to stop and smell the roses along the way.

Luigi

Incheon Korea
3. Re: Melbourne to Alice springs to esperance and back in 4 weeks

Thanks for your replies, always very much appreciated. However, my friends have been convinced that their original itinerary was too much. Therefore, they have decided to remove the esperance leg of their trip. Instead they will concentrate on the Melbourne - Alice Springs route.

I will post again if they have any further questions.

Thanks

Seoulite

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 52
4. Re: Melbourne to Alice springs to esperance and back in 4 weeks

One thing I would emphasise is that it will be HOT next month. They should be sure to carry LOTS of water as in the event of a breakdown that is one thing they don't want to be short of until help arrives. And let someone know when they leave, and when they should arrive, so that if they are very late, people will know to look for them.

abc.net.au/news/…4371060

abc.net.au/news/…4357380

abc.net.au/news/…

I don't want to seem scaremongering but being prepared for an eventuality that doesn't happen is a lot better than not being prepared for one that does.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
reviews: 498
5. Re: Melbourne to Alice springs to esperance and back in 4 weeks

Hi,

Its a shame your missing Esperance as its absolutely gorgeous !! but I can understand due to your time limit & the driving involved. If wanting to visit Esperance flying via Perth would be your best option from Adelaide.

IMO; you would be better mixing up the driving with flying so you can enjoy a little more of each destination.

Other options-

Fly from Adelaide to Alice Springs - drive via Kings Canyon to Ayers Rock -

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i17672-Uluru_Ng…

Coober Pedy is a 5.5hrs drive from Port Augusta / Adelaide approx 8hrs.

Coober Pedey to Ayers Rock - a long drive 9hrs.

If driving in the outback - you have to be very careful >>

Road trains are very long large trucks (the length of ten cars). Many road trains use remote and outback roads.

On Outback roads, Australian wildlife such as kangaroos and emus often stray onto the road and can cause serious accidents.

Also watch out for livestock like sheep, horses, and cattle which graze on the roadside. To reduce the risk of accidents avoid driving at sunrise and sunset when animals are most active.

We hit 2 kangaroo's early this year whilst driving in SA & its not fun...make sure you have full cover car insurance too.

As Yorkfoodie mentioned carry HEAPS of water with you.

6. Re: Melbourne to Alice springs to esperance and back in 4 weeks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 pm, December 16, 2013