We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbourne - goood family hotel...?

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hampshire, England
reviews: 2
Melbourne - goood family hotel...?

We're planning a big family adventure in Oz in Dec/Jan 06/07 and will be starting in Melbourne in mid Dec.

Can anyone suggest a suitable family friendly hotel (two kids, aged 9 and 12) that we can use as a base for a few days while we find our feet, and look up a cousin and generally see the sights....? The kids are quite keen on a pool but it's not essential as I expect we'll be out and about alot - convenient for public transport and clean and comfortable are more important! Thanks!

Los Angeles
21. Re: Melbourne - goood family hotel...?

Geek:

I booked with the Saville Park Suites directly through their website several weeks in advance. Generally, I found that in Australia (unlike the US), you usually get the best rates, or the same rates, directly from the hotel, rather than through consolidator and third party websites (the expedias and travelocities of the world).

The exception to this rule may be in last minute travel (wotif.com or lastminute.com), although when I checked the wotif site shortly before I left for Melbourne, the prices were the same.

The Saville Park Suites earned my everlasting gratitude by permitting us to check in at 6:30 a.m. without additional charge.

Hampshire, England
22. Re: Melbourne - goood family hotel...?

AMA:

Thanks for this, good to know it was OK for you - we'll be arriving at the other end of the day - hope they are equally obliging!

I think my travel agent is concerned about her commission rather than anything else!

Thanks for all the positive comments - I'll book direct!

:o)

Glenlyon, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
reviews: 34
23. Re: Melbourne - goood family hotel...?

ABTA stands for Association of British Travel Agents and is basically a protection for those (essentially a sort of travel insurance) book their holidays independantly.

Before this only travel booked via a licensed and recognized agent was covered against any failure, mishap etc to the travel plans if the agent or suppliers went belly up and it was as a packaged holiday.

So basically if your book all the flights, hotels and car rental separately but still via your agent your are covered.

BUT if booked direct yourself with the relevant hotels, car rentals etc you are supposedly not covered.

However, as a previous posting pointed out, the only issue arises in most cases (unless it is a prepaid rate of course) is if the hotel etc collapsed. However, whether you were insured or not- in both cases you would be on the spot to find an alternative. I would not worry if you are booking a reputable hotel direct about whether you have any insurance or not personally.

Simply put, If you havent handed money over for a booking, then you cant loose it and therefore you cant claim. QED.

australia
reviews: 68
24. Re: Melbourne - goood family hotel...?

Just an extra viewpoint

If you want a real food experience it may be a chance to try the food at Tolarno as "The Tolarno Bar and Bistro, run by celebrity chef Iain Hewitson, is a favourite haunt for locals and visitors alike" the accomodation is great with quirky decor, direct tram to city and walk down to St Kilda Pier area with craft/art market on the Esplanade however kids age 9 and 12 would perhaps have other priorities but hire roller blades at the end of the street or bikes on the foreshore and use the bike/roller blade path along the foreshore right through to Port Melbourne have fish and chips near the Main ship terminal a bike trip the other direction takes you to Elwood .... St Kilda is an ecletic mix of people plenty of cafes and park land

Hampshire, England
25. Re: Melbourne - goood family hotel...?

Thanks annski - I'm assuming you mean the Hotel Tolarno....?

St Kilda sounds like a great idea for a day out - thanks for all the helpful suggestions! :o)