We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 month apartment lease

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
nj
6 month apartment lease

im moving to australia for 6 months in jan 2011. I have been looking at serviced apartments in or near the cbd. im noticing they are like $600 to $1500 a WEEK! thats crazy. they seem to be geared more for corporate housing so thats probably why they are so expensive.

im looking for suggestions of websites, or phone numbers, or maybe even areas of melbourne that ill find more of the price range im looking for.

im looking for apartments that are fully furnished and possibly at max 1500.00 a month and allowing a 6 month lease. is this even possible?

im not a student so i dont want any student housing or anything like that. im going to melbourne on a work visa and need a place to live.

thanks!!

New York City, New...
reviews: 114
1. Re: 6 month apartment lease

Look at

www.domain.com.au

www.realestate.com.au

Most places will offer 12 month leases, but contact the real estate agent listing the property - it will depend on the landlord whether they are willing to give you a 6 month lease.

Glenlyon, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
reviews: 34
2. Re: 6 month apartment lease

Apartments apart from Corporate rentals do not come fully furnished.

And to generally get on the rent ladder to start with you have to be a resident and have a job already lined up/references (in this country ) etc.

Your best bet is to try and rent share/boarding situation. Most properties will also want a 12 month lease to start with (I say generally there are always exceptions).

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
reviews: 12
3. Re: 6 month apartment lease

As mentioned, furnished rentals are rare in Melbourne. Your best bet would be to look on Gumtree for share accomodation.

New York City, New...
reviews: 114
4. Re: 6 month apartment lease

Have you checked out

http://www.punthill.com.au/

The South Yarra location is very convenient, close to bars and restaurants and good public transport links.

You also need to keep in mind that Melbourne's rental market is very tight, with record-low vacancy rates. Decent one bedroom apartments in inner-city areas rent for $300-$450 per week - and they are empty. Of course you'll pay more for a furnished place. (This may put your $600 per week in perspective.)

Will you have a car? If so, you could stay further out and have a longer commute. Where is your job located?

Melboune
reviews: 115
5. Re: 6 month apartment lease

As Kate has mentioned, the rental market in Melbourne is very tight - see

www.reiv.com.au/news/details.asp?NewsID=975

I heard this week of a house in an inner area that was advertised as being available for rental. 45 people turned up at the open-for-inspection, and 5 of these lodged an application on the spot. There might be slightly less demand for apartments, but I suspect that demand still exceeds the available supply by a considerable margin. Judging from the REIV report, the situation isn't much better in out suburban areas.

Edited: 9:48 pm, September 23, 2010
nj
6. Re: 6 month apartment lease

im moving there to be with a friend so his name is gonna be on lease and hes got a job, that part im not too worried about. more about finding a decent place. no i willl not have a car. everything in australia is sooo expensive!!

Glenlyon, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
reviews: 34
7. Re: 6 month apartment lease

Remember tho that we may be more expensive but salaries usually do make up for it (tho not always).

Brisbane
reviews: 10
8. Re: 6 month apartment lease

I can suggest a place in Flinders Street central which is very close to everything - there are a number of international students and others who live here but its clean, central basic furnishings i.e. telephone, tv, bed, wardrobe, mini kitchen, fridge, stove top, but no knives and forks - you can purchase kits from reception for a small price - try Home at Flinders i really enjoyed my 6 month stay there and thought the price very reasonable - it has good lifts 13 floors and is very seccure.

9. Re: 6 month apartment lease

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:29 am, March 28, 2011